Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3245 3246 [3247] 3248 3249 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122481 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48690 on: October 21, 2016, 10:18:40 am »

A weretortoise attacked my fort and killed 2 fisherdwarves and 2 babies. One fisherdwarf was carrying a baby. Another dwarf dropped their baby to run inside for the alert. It then cursed only one of my military, whom I've now trapped in a small part of my Tetrahedrite mines. The walls surrounding him are carved with fortifications, so when he turns, and when I have a ranged squad, they'll make quick work of him.

In other words, I'm making a nice bit of dwarfbucks by selling off all the babies that this breeding pair of giraffes make.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48691 on: October 22, 2016, 09:27:01 am »

The militia commander of Devilpits, bearer of the legendary artifact copper gauntlet, recently achieved Hammerlord status.  To celebrate his accomplishment, a sparring session was organized.  The gods frowned upon his devotion however, and cast the two combatants outside the 1-thickness wall that borders the maw of the volcano this fortress resides upon.  Both combatants, and the gauntlet, now rest, we fear, at the bottom of the magma sea.

Tomorrow's to-do list:  Relocate the barracks.

(stupid sparring bug)

I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48692 on: October 22, 2016, 12:30:23 pm »

The werebeast replication blocks of the SCIENCE AND PROGRESS FACILITY are almost complete. The Giant weaponization block is well under construction, and the goblin and troll internment facilities are nearly ready to house war captives D-class.

In other news citizens are almost out of booze and no one has anywhere to sleep. Thankfully my priorities are in order and we will soon be able to churn out unnatural horrors for funsies.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:55:06 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48693 on: October 22, 2016, 01:52:37 pm »

9 of my super elite melee squad drowned after charging a 1-tile bridge over a canyon to close against the goblin archers on the other side.

The tenth was pulled out alive by a medical dorf and is in hospital, but he was the Competent recruit.

Seen this happen often enough that I always put walls beside my bridges. Now if only I could manage to remember that bridges don't support walls, and put the walls in one at a time from the edges, I'd get fewer cave in related deaths...

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48694 on: October 22, 2016, 08:35:10 pm »

9 of my super elite melee squad drowned after charging a 1-tile bridge over a canyon to close against the goblin archers on the other side.

The tenth was pulled out alive by a medical dorf and is in hospital, but he was the Competent recruit.

Seen this happen often enough that I always put walls beside my bridges. Now if only I could manage to remember that bridges don't support walls, and put the walls in one at a time from the edges, I'd get fewer cave in related deaths...

It does present an excellent opportunity to build what is essentially a buffed stone fall trap though.

The Plague of Serpents is finally ended. I quickly discovered that my soldiers had no interest in attacking the snakes before they had struck themselves, so rather than putting out wide patrols designed to put them into harm's way I opted to just burn them out. Bonfires were lit just after the Fall harvest, and the entirety of the lightly forested plain north of the city wall was engulfed in flames. By chance, the death of the snakes currently on the map marked the end of the plague, and a herd of buffalo are grazing happily on the grassland left behind after the burn.

I checked my list of deities too, and found that the most popularly worshiped one was Datan, the god of death and fortresses. Clearly my aboveground human style town angered Datan, and he sent the snakes to punish us for abandoning our traditional way of life. I'm not willing to abandon the aboveground town, so to win back the favor of the gods I've started construction of a megaproject. Some village layabouts, picks and chisels in hand, are heading down underground to build a proper fortress - with massive multi z-level halls, expensive art and furniture, tasteful engravings, and room for hundreds of dwarves. Nobody will live down there, instead it will be a city for the dead. My own dwarves, visitors, caravan guards, even invaders (if any actually show up) will be interred in the city's prisons and military quarters. This has the added benefit of giving all my craftsmen something to do, some of them are starting to get distracted by being unable to learn and practice their trades, as well as giving us a source of stone to build proper walls and streets rather than dirt roads and a wooden palisade.

I also noticed a lot of my dwarves were distracted due to being unable to practice a martial art, so I've instituted a part-time militia service. Everyone is getting put into a squad and doing a two-month rotation, half with crossbows and half with spears. The town's only smith is busy cranking out chainmail shirts, caps, spears, and ammunition, while the carpenter puts together shields and the woodcutter tries his hand at bowyery. Hopefully everyone's happy with the new arrangement.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48695 on: October 23, 2016, 05:16:24 pm »

Made an isolated area for clay collecting and cutting and a little self-sustenance agriculture to see whether clay cutting is a worthwhile way to train intelligence (not that training has any practical meaning, but I would like to have my dwarves more intelligent). It works sort of, but not in any quantity to really help. It would aggregate tens of thousands of cut clay pieces as well in the process.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48696 on: October 24, 2016, 04:39:16 pm »

Thought that my fort's time was up when I got reports from the scouts that the dead were seen walking at the edge of our brand new encampment only three months into settling. I mobilized all of my peasants to face the undead threat, only to find that not only was it just three zombies, but the zombies fled in "terror". I didn't believe the reports until I saw that my forces only ran across the map, and the undead were fleeing back over the boundary, followed by the novice necromancer that brought them.

I do not understand what was so horrifying for them, since my dwarves are the last remnants of this dwarven civilization, and have literally no resources, carrying picks and fists while dressed in pig tail cloth...

Are the undead supposed to be able to experience fear? If not, I think I might need to report a bug...
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48697 on: October 24, 2016, 05:49:23 pm »

My Dwarves embarked and i immediately got the announcement, that i found a lair...
in a cave, there is a dwarven child - a weregila. it turned on the 25th and i hpe i can build walls around his cave and isolate it from the world.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48698 on: October 24, 2016, 07:48:57 pm »

Yeah that sounds like a bug Sculleywr.

Undead are unable to feel emotion, so they shouldn't have any fear.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48699 on: October 24, 2016, 08:04:54 pm »

Unless those were the necromancers. There are usually around 3 and they are super skittish.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48700 on: October 24, 2016, 11:02:15 pm »

Yeah that sounds like a bug Sculleywr.

Undead are unable to feel emotion, so they shouldn't have any fear.

Also to Dunamisdeos

They were definitely undead, or at least labeled as such. They were undead dwarf recruits. I don't know why, but when I tried to screencap, the entire DF crashed :/ Apparently those kind of encounters are done on RNG of some sort, because my friendly necromancer didn't return when I repeated the embark the same place. I assume if I had the time to !SCIENCE! the thing out, I would, but I don't have the time and the methodology to do it properly is just too much bodging to be anything like feasible on my computer :/
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48701 on: October 25, 2016, 01:35:35 am »

The long awaited goblin invasion finally. They were about 150 strong, with beak dogs and trolls, and my military was finally able  the enemy on the open plain. We won, though we lost 5 soldiers(though 2 were mercenarys), and another fellow lost the ability to stand(though a crutch soon fixed that). With that over with, the cleanup is now underway. All of my idlers are now gainfully employed hauling troll fur socks to the atom-smasher.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48702 on: October 25, 2016, 05:30:26 am »

the weregila dwarf-kid wasn't a problem at all, i closed the lair with a hatch, a wall, roof and drawbridgegate and everything was fine.
then a second weregila suddenly stood almost at my own door and that's when the downwardspiral began...
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48703 on: October 25, 2016, 12:08:00 pm »

I had all patrols and courtyard sparring cancelled to get the guys ready to try the new therapy pool / water arena. The fort's in a tropical swamp and it really sucks to watch an elite dwarf sidestep an enemy, drop into a pond and drown. So while we're doing bucket lines and hewing out the hall for the new pool, the Forgotten Beast that I'd literally forgotten about (it was locked in the cavern, or so I thought) shows up and starts attacking my civilians right at the entrance to the fort. Two farmers, a fish cleaner, a poet and a planter took down a many-legged poisonous crocodile. The planter had himself a punching duel with the thing before the others arrived and he got stung. He casually walked to the hospital and made it through surgery.

Just struck me as ironic that I'm building a kiddie pool for my elite warriors while a bunch of newbs handle the FB.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48704 on: October 25, 2016, 01:38:50 pm »

We murdered a goblin scholar who came to our fort to study.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.
Pages: 1 ... 3245 3246 [3247] 3248 3249 ... 3842