Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3242 3243 [3244] 3245 3246 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122755 times)

Plump Helmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48645 on: October 14, 2016, 02:16:24 pm »

My first real threat showed up in the form of the cyclops Ked Gorgegleam the Luster of Adventure. He got in one punch and the rest of the battle was spent pounding his skull in until he bled out. Underwhelming, all in all.

About a month before, my broker got possessed and made an artifact cape. Gee, thanks?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:34:19 pm by Plump Helmet »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48646 on: October 14, 2016, 07:42:06 pm »

My first real threat showed up in the form of the cyclops Ked Gorgegleam the Luster of Adventure. He got in one punch and the rest of the battle was spent pounding his skull in until he bled out. Underwhelming, all in all.

About a month before, my broker got possessed and made an artifact cape. Gee, thanks?

I don't understand your sarcasm.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48647 on: October 14, 2016, 08:26:20 pm »

Built a grand fort of 200 dwarfs all came apart when the moat randomly flooded and the way my fort was designed (like a massive staircase) it all washed down into the caverns caring dwarf and item alike...the funniest kill was a priest (my fort had warhammer esq warrior-priest) was praying and a stone door impaled he at his shrine and carried the body down to the 2nd cavern layer inorder to  recover the body I had to send in the rest of the warrior-priest and fought off a forgotten beast.
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48648 on: October 15, 2016, 03:31:51 am »

After a major crash, I've started a new fortress: Legendhole.

I'm trying to build something new here: a giant channeled hole (over a hundred feet wide) with a pillar of untouched soil and stone in the middle, and bridges between the main pillar and the various rooms in the side of the hole. Right now, it's about ten z-levels deep, where I've temporarily ceased further channeling to let my dwarves move their stuff into the fortress proper.

While I was doing this, one dwarf got into a fey mood. He screamed for plant cloth, so I had some made. He then grabbed the cloth, as well as a lump of coal, and created... an artifact pig tail glove with hanging rings of pig tail and spikes of bituminous coal. It's now the Official Militia Captain Decoration.

Also, a hill titan visited (I set titans to appear at 30 dwarves). My fortress is, at the time, still very vulnerable to building destroyers, so I sent the militia in. Fortunately, the titan was made out of mud and was taken down without any dwarves getting hit or being poisoned by its spittle.

Plump Helmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48649 on: October 15, 2016, 06:50:08 am »

There is a baby that's been wandering around the farms, slowly dying of thirst, for at least a few months now. Her mother is just now getting off her lazy drunken ass and leaving the tavern to go find her.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48650 on: October 16, 2016, 12:53:47 pm »

A migrant wave showed up. Brought with them twenty five dwarves in total.

Now I have 18 children running around. I know five of them came with the previous migrant waves, but that's still too many damn spawnlings.
Oh, and that entire migrant wave consisted of one large extended family with multiple married couples including parents and their children. A couple of them are only 14-15
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48651 on: October 16, 2016, 03:07:52 pm »

Running an aboveground fort. The place is situated on a peninsula, surrounded on three sides by a freshwater lake and connected to the tropical savanna of the mainland across a narrow isthmus. The isthmus is heavily fortified, but to make it so I can't just turtle up I've built up the town itself in the south and put all my agriculture just outside the fortifications on the north side. There's been an absolute blight of venomous snakes coming in lately. Until now they've just startled the goats in their pastures (now walled in with grates) but today a black mamba ambushed a planter. By the time the watchman got to him and killed the snake it had bitten poor Shem enough times to kill him several times over. I need to get a mongoose or two, or maybe some dogs.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48652 on: October 16, 2016, 04:24:05 pm »

Running an aboveground fort. The place is situated on a peninsula, surrounded on three sides by a freshwater lake and connected to the tropical savanna of the mainland across a narrow isthmus. The isthmus is heavily fortified, but to make it so I can't just turtle up I've built up the town itself in the south and put all my agriculture just outside the fortifications on the north side. There's been an absolute blight of venomous snakes coming in lately. Until now they've just startled the goats in their pastures (now walled in with grates) but today a black mamba ambushed a planter. By the time the watchman got to him and killed the snake it had bitten poor Shem enough times to kill him several times over. I need to get a mongoose or two, or maybe some dogs.

Obligatory Indiana Jones clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHzZRUikvaw

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48653 on: October 16, 2016, 06:25:54 pm »

Started a new fort on a Tundra. Got through the embark wide aquifer by using the freezing method.

I've discovered my embark contains sand!... But it's in the aquifer. Now I need to learn the pump method to get at it  :-\
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48654 on: October 17, 2016, 03:32:48 am »

If you're already through you can just install drainage below and poke that way. Alternatively, aquifer tiles don't leak diagonally, while iirc sand can be collected so. Also, if you punched through a sand layer and cleared out the ice there should be sand floors, which should be usable for collection as well.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48655 on: October 17, 2016, 03:55:04 am »

If you're already through you can just install drainage below and poke that way. Alternatively, aquifer tiles don't leak diagonally, while iirc sand can be collected so. Also, if you punched through a sand layer and cleared out the ice there should be sand floors, which should be usable for collection as well.
Yeah I'll try that. As for clearing the ice. When I did that I ended up with ice flooring. I didn't actually bother to check if I could gather sand from the ice floor, probably should have.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:57:34 am by King Kitteh »
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48656 on: October 17, 2016, 10:40:15 am »

If you can't, build a floor and then deconstruct it to revert it to base layer material.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48657 on: October 17, 2016, 10:55:04 am »

If you can't, build a floor and then deconstruct it to revert it to base layer material.

Putting a paved road over a tile will clear it of grass etc, and then you can re-secure it from grass growth by putting grates on top of it, conversely this also allows you to put sand or clay collection areas there (given that dwarves can interact through a grate to wash/drink etc), so even post cavern exposure and moss, you can maintain your glass and clay industries (which is also very handy if you've bypassed a aquifer to cavern level using your only profitable dirt tile, and now you need to protect your sand industry while you dig and arrange transport to the lava z level for free crafting using lava furnaces (or set up infrastructure to move the lava up))

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48658 on: October 17, 2016, 11:14:53 am »

Paved roads put a new material down (whatever you pave it with), and need to be deconstructed.

DIRT roads just remove vegetation, and work as you describe. ;)

Dirt roads are awesome for doing "No pick challenges", because they let you build workshops and walls out of clay boulders, by letting you get access to clay without digging.

Plump Helmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48659 on: October 17, 2016, 04:56:01 pm »

An army of goblins 10 strong decided to ruin my day. It's in their nature. I managed to kill all of them, but it put a massive dent in my military between the ex-dwarves and the guys who can't walk anymore. A lot of suckers with useless professions had to be recruited. And my miners are too busy sleeping and fishing (why? it's not like we get any fish around here) to dig out the burial grounds, so there's that.
Pages: 1 ... 3242 3243 [3244] 3245 3246 ... 3842