Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3240 3241 [3242] 3243 3244 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122915 times)

Plump Helmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48615 on: October 10, 2016, 02:19:25 am »

The hamlet of Atticpeace enters its second year. So far in the season:

• A yeti showed up and wandered into my farms. He caused some shenanigans and job cancellations, but the entire fortress population ganged up on him and chased him away. Everyone escaped with only minor injuries.
  • The werepanda Irene Cereima has come! And... she did nothing worth mentioning. After killing the aforementioned yeti, she wandered over towards the entrance to the fort, killed a few donkeys and mules that were pastured there, then turned back into an elf and ran away. It's just as well, since I don't have my military set up yet.
  • 20 migrants, doubling the population to 40. Hope I can provide for them all.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48616 on: October 10, 2016, 06:06:27 am »

My civ got the best random name of all time... The Boot of Dominating.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48617 on: October 10, 2016, 09:30:08 am »

Like this?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48618 on: October 10, 2016, 09:52:21 am »

New fort in an evil glacier - a lovely spot, the Ice of Glooms, prone only to the occasional burst of insidious murk (husking mist).  My initial fort struck the earth(ice) and dug in, hiding the horses, the three lovely boards and our precious, precious anvil.

As the miners ventured down into the depths, the first cavern was revealed with giant underground lakes; a fortuitous find.  The farmers began harvesting edible fungi as the miners went seeking the blood of Armok below.  Deeper and deeper they dug, until the air grew stale and the torches guttered.  Eventually, sweaty and filthy, they staggered back out into the tiny hole in the ice we sat in - the rock was hot and flowing, semi-molten and useless for forging.  Now we had to dig sideways, a much more dangerous endeavor.

Despite the miners' misgivings, we located the magma sea and dug forges.  The miners channelled out troughs for the flowing magma beneath the smelters and forges, and the masons began working feverishly to get them all set up.  We would finally have metal again!  I was planning the farms in the cavern when I heard shouting from below.  Some... thing... had come out of the lava vents.  The mason swore it was a tiny manikin composed all of flame; he point-blank refused to go back into the deeps.  The metalcrafter finally went, desperate to have something to do other than carve rock into pots. 

We crept into the depths, makeshift weapons at the ready.  He went down the final steps and around the corner and... anticlimax.  "'m seein' nowt." came his glum report.  He threw down the anvil he had carried, making a tremendous crash, and dragged a gabbro boulder to cap the vent designed for the smithy.  "Oi, Mason, y' goin' t' get these forges aright or no?"  The mason cursed and went around the corner, swearing there had been something there.

"No worries", I said, trying to soothe everyone's rattled nerves.  "Maybe it went back into the vent.  Let's get these capped, and we need worry no more on it."

Unbeknownst to all, the fire imp HAD been there.  And it hadn't gone back into the vent.  Instead, it snuck up the steps... past all of us.  It made its stealthy way out through the doors above at the trade hall, and up the corridor past the depot, into the glacier itself.  We wouldn't discover this for weeks, however, as we were digging in.  I needed to go outside to retrieve the hatch cover the mason had made, so I wandered up the stairs... only to stop at the trade level, dumbfounded.  All I could hear was slopping water on the other side of the door, and a little mud was leaking out below it.  The imp had eventually gotten itself frozen into the glacier, but the water that it left had to be drained into the caverns below, then the entire hall repaved to get rid of the mud, filth and mushrooms.  The miner also had to cut a new channel to the surface.  Never a dull moment on the Ice of Glooms!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 12:33:22 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48619 on: October 10, 2016, 09:52:42 am »

Like this?

That's hilarious.

Plump Helmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48620 on: October 10, 2016, 06:12:08 pm »

Keas keep raiding my trade depot and swiping my things. To remedy this, I've made a small building around the depot and am working on getting a drawbridge set up around the entrance, which can be raised when the keas show up and lowered otherwise. Until that gets done though, I've set up a kind of hacky solution by assigning a citizen alert to a burrow just outside the building's entrance. There's job cancellation spam, lots of it, but if it keeps those motherloving birds from stealing my trade goods...

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48621 on: October 10, 2016, 07:05:11 pm »

You can station a squad there so they can kill the keas when they try to steal.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48622 on: October 10, 2016, 07:08:57 pm »

Hunt them.

I don't mean with hunters. Flood the map with magma. That's how we hunt in dwarf town.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48623 on: October 10, 2016, 07:51:02 pm »

The civilians died like flies as they jumped over cliff to fight the forgotten beast, while the military stood there doing nothing.

:-X
I hate the pathfinding logic.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48624 on: October 10, 2016, 09:35:32 pm »

Hunt them.

I don't mean with hunters. Flood the map with magma. That's how we hunt in dwarf town.
Keas can fly.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48625 on: October 10, 2016, 09:47:22 pm »

Marksdwarves, in towers surrounding your entrance and above the entrance. Keas die.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48626 on: October 10, 2016, 10:50:16 pm »

Dunamisdeos just said no hunters, which are pretty much the same thing.

Though, now thinking about it...It might be doable to kill them with magma if you use minecarts.

You'd need to build a minecart magmagun to saturate the airspace - covering every square of embark with a magmagun - but I'd guess they'd have pretty decent, something like 5-10% chance of dying per volley? (Just use multiple volleys).
« Reply #48627 on: October 10, 2016, 10:58:46 pm »

I made a fort in a terrifying biome and I already have two legendary strikers because my two fisherdwarves are constantly beating the hell out of giant undead butterflies.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48628 on: October 10, 2016, 11:38:50 pm »

Dunamisdeos just said no hunters, which are pretty much the same thing.

Though, now thinking about it...It might be doable to kill them with magma if you use minecarts.

You'd need to build a minecart magmagun to saturate the airspace - covering every square of embark with a magmagun - but I'd guess they'd have pretty decent, something like 5-10% chance of dying per volley? (Just use multiple volleys).

Well no. You have marksdwarves in burrows in towers. If they're good they will stay put and shoot them down. One bolt will kill one.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48629 on: October 11, 2016, 03:31:24 am »

Hunt them.

Keas can fly.
There's only so much sky they can run away to, flood the entire world until there's nowhere left for them to go.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite
Pages: 1 ... 3240 3241 [3242] 3243 3244 ... 3842