Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3236 3237 [3238] 3239 3240 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123193 times)

Beesarewatchingyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48555 on: October 03, 2016, 07:34:47 pm »

I'm getting very frustrated with the migrant waves in Icecursed. I've not been able to produce any metal items throughout the entire game because out of my 80+ dwarves, (probably about 120 if The Disaster hadn't happened) there are no smiths of any kind. The fortress is totally swarming with fishery workers, rangers and fish cleaners though, which all happen to be totally useless on an evil glacier.

We still haven't got anyone with diagnosis either, so when anybody gets injured they're basically dead. My veteran axelord just died out of nowhere because of an infection. There's now a named historical duckling (yes, a DUCKLING) wandering around with my axelord on its kills list. :(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:37:04 pm by Beesarewatchingyou »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48556 on: October 03, 2016, 07:40:53 pm »

There's no malpractice, so you can just enable all medical labours on everyone (at slower healthcare) - at least till you find ones who rise above the pack. Though I recall stories of ducks killing demons, so it may have been inevitable. Though for infections what you need is wound washing and dressing too.

No metalsmithing moods via dabbling artisans?

@Urist the CaveBear:

That's quite some scale....consider using water to move the stones to the atomsmasher, shifting them by hand is going to take a long time.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:44:15 pm by Fleeting Frames »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48557 on: October 03, 2016, 08:37:46 pm »

I'm getting very frustrated with the migrant waves in Icecursed. I've not been able to produce any metal items throughout the entire game because out of my 80+ dwarves, (probably about 120 if The Disaster hadn't happened) there are no smiths of any kind. The fortress is totally swarming with fishery workers, rangers and fish cleaners though, which all happen to be totally useless on an evil glacier.

We still haven't got anyone with diagnosis either, so when anybody gets injured they're basically dead. My veteran axelord just died out of nowhere because of an infection. There's now a named historical duckling (yes, a DUCKLING) wandering around with my axelord on its kills list. :(
Are you playing some sort of special challenge?

Most of us just tell the damn fishmongers "congrats you're a shitty armorsmith" and start spamming iron helms/leggings/etc. Just enable the various labors on them and they start learning the trade.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48558 on: October 03, 2016, 08:46:26 pm »

You could like, assign people to be smiths.

Or doctors for that matter.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48559 on: October 03, 2016, 08:57:13 pm »

Also, I recall a mention that previous (I guess .34?) testing had additional quality and armor user both give like 12% more defence together total.

Doubt it is exactly true now, but eh. Superior material is super-important, more than any kind of quality.

...How did you get an axelord, training axes?

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48560 on: October 03, 2016, 09:40:38 pm »

@ Fleeting Frames
A long time is a bit of an understatement.  Digging the hole in the first place took probably two years.  Cleaning it up after the fact has been the work of a decade.  Water is a good idea - unfortunately, Udirurdim is a desert fortress with no surface water.  I'd have to pump-stack it up all the way from the caverns - and down there I only have the one pond with-out map-edge access, anyway.

Of course, I could always dump Magma on it...

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48561 on: October 03, 2016, 10:15:04 pm »

You don't have to dump them all in one go.
You can build walls and the dorfs will clean the path. Eventually they will gather all stones in a few tiles.

Beesarewatchingyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48562 on: October 04, 2016, 02:56:22 am »

Cavebear, that labyrinth is incredible.

Are you playing some sort of special challenge?

Most of us just tell the damn fishmongers "congrats you're a shitty armorsmith" and start spamming iron helms/leggings/etc. Just enable the various labors on them and they start learning the trade.

If I can count being new as a challenge run, yeah.  ;)

I did try giving a couple of dwarves smithing labours (and disabling everything else) but they don't do anything, they just sit around with no job. Same with diagnosis, smoothing, or anything else that nobody's skilled in. I guess it made me wrongly assume that dwarves actually need the skill to do those labours.  :-[ Not the first weird assumption I've made, got to feel bad for my dwarves.

Thanks so much for the advice, if I can put those fishmongers to use then I'll keep trying. Just have to figure out why nobody will do any smithing jobs even with the labour enabled.

EDIT: Turns out enabling armorsmithing in dwarf therapist doesn't work for my fortress. Have to do it ingame. I'm assuming diagnosis works the same way.

Also, I recall a mention that previous (I guess .34?) testing had additional quality and armor user both give like 12% more defence together total.

Doubt it is exactly true now, but eh. Superior material is super-important, more than any kind of quality.

...How did you get an axelord, training axes?
Huh, well that's some useful info. I'll keep a note of that.

He was my woodcutter. As you can probably imagine, he had plenty of idle time for training on a glacier. Was good enough to get rid of troglodytes at least but I guess that duckling was too much for him.

Besides I'm not totally without metal items, I just couldn't forge any myself. Most of my weapons were looted from unfortunate caravans.

There's no malpractice, so you can just enable all medical labours on everyone (at slower healthcare) - at least till you find ones who rise above the pack. Though I recall stories of ducks killing demons, so it may have been inevitable. Though for infections what you need is wound washing and dressing too.

No metalsmithing moods via dabbling artisans?

Yeah, that's what I'll do now I know it works. :o I've had a suturer running around with diagnosis enabled but he never does anything, so I'll try telling the horde of fishermen to help. After all, a fish has some of the same parts as a dwarf.

I think the duckling deserves a gem-encrusted statue. I'm still mad at him but he's earned it- he actually survived the encounter.

Well, some genius kid made an artifact toy boat. In ten years he'll be free of dwarven child labour laws and ready to work.

You could like, assign people to be smiths.

Or doctors for that matter.

Well now I know. Now I have to live with the fact that a seasoned warrior in his prime died to a duckling because of my ignorance.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:11:36 am by Beesarewatchingyou »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48563 on: October 04, 2016, 05:49:01 am »

You managed to get a fortress to survive in a glacier biome without changing any of the default labours of your immigrants.  :o  I suspect once you figure out the game you will be legendary in no time!

Beesarewatchingyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48564 on: October 04, 2016, 06:39:47 am »

You managed to get a fortress to survive in a glacier biome without changing any of the default labours of your immigrants.  :o  I suspect once you figure out the game you will be legendary in no time!

Thank you. :) Nah I managed to change a few with therapist, some labours like smithing/diagnosing/smoothing just didn't work until I used the ingame interface though.

Glad I posted here, otherwise my forge would still be gathering dust and driving me nuts.

In other news: The forgotten beast Fokash has come! A towering quadruped composed of electrum. It has a curling trunk and it has a gaunt appearance. Beware its deadly dust!
It's made of metal and has deadly dust? So in other words we're never opening that cavern again.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48565 on: October 04, 2016, 08:29:06 am »

@Urist:
Probs don't need pumpstack for that little water, but ow. Unless you're planning for some farms right there anyway, even the most careful irrigation over downstairs to gather the water is going to lose some.

@Libash: Still requires dwarves to move them, which as Urist indiced takes a long time.

@Beesarewatchingyou:

You need to order jobs at the Smelter and Forge, then they'll take those jobs. On their own, they don't do anything.

As for Dwarf Therapist, did you press commit to push the changes to the game or merely ticked the boxes?

As a challenge, you could try to capture Fokash to lace your ammo and/or weapons with. Otherwise yeah it'll deplete that cavern layer of life.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48566 on: October 04, 2016, 08:56:57 am »

I was getting the hang of playing 43.05 without DTherapist, but I wanted more different, so I downloaded Zans? Warcraft Mod or whatever that is 43.05 compatible. 

Whatever civ I chose, is not dwarf, but closely resemble humans but are just not sociable.  In fact, this civ is already at war with Humans and Goblins. 

I realize that it takes me about an hour before I start an embark because I read the description of the starting 7, and have a loose plan on what each will be doing long term.

I have a Doctor, a Noble, a Forge, an Axe guy, a Miner-Mech, and 2 Miners.

I saved the game as soon on day 1 of embark started, and I need to find the auto-pause on start/load. 

It's a 4x4 embark with a brook on the north and a volcano on the south.

Beesarewatchingyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48567 on: October 04, 2016, 09:25:20 am »

Got several caged yetis and blizzard men now. Not sure what to do with them yet so they're going in the mayor's office next to his berserk son. Might make a yeti pit for troublemakers.

@Beesarewatchingyou:

You need to order jobs at the Smelter and Forge, then they'll take those jobs. On their own, they don't do anything.

As for Dwarf Therapist, did you press commit to push the changes to the game or merely ticked the boxes?

As a challenge, you could try to capture Fokash to lace your ammo and/or weapons with. Otherwise yeah it'll deplete that cavern layer of life.

Yeah I ordered the jobs and pressed commit. I think there's something up with my LNP though, since soundsense and other utilities keep crashing on launch. Might backup my saves and do a fresh install of LNP, see if that fixes it. Thanks for the advice though, this thread's been super helpful

I do kind of want a pet Fokash, poisoning ammo is a cool idea. Plus having a forgotten beast pit to throw my enemies/nobles into might be fun. (in more ways than one if I botch it) I'm not sure if it can use deadly dust while caged, plus I have no way of getting webs so I'll be trapping it with bridges if possible. Wish me luck!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48568 on: October 04, 2016, 09:34:50 am »

Did you give DT sufficient rights to mess with DF? In linux, it needs to be sudoed or hooked with a script (I use the first, since I close down and reopen DT as needed + almost always use DFhack), and I think there's equivalents in other OSes.

Also, it can't use dust while caged. Dusting is an attack. Have fun :P

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48569 on: October 04, 2016, 10:34:22 am »

@Libash: Still requires dwarves to move them, which as Urist indiced takes a long time.
Yeah, but maybe that saves sometimes between jobs. There should be multiple stones on a single tile.
Well, I only did a similar project on a 1x1 map, so maybe I had much fewer stones than this.
Pages: 1 ... 3236 3237 [3238] 3239 3240 ... 3842