Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3223 3224 [3225] 3226 3227 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124276 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48360 on: September 05, 2016, 03:56:09 pm »

My hammerdwarf in training died to Capybaras. The same Capybaras sent 5 people to the hospital.

Toady knows these are Capybaras right?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48361 on: September 05, 2016, 05:36:19 pm »

My hammerdwarf in training died to Capybaras. The same Capybaras sent 5 people to the hospital.

Toady knows these are Capybaras right?

To be fair, they do grow to rather big sizes, comparable to pigs, and as rodents they have some pretty huge teeth.

In other matters, my forts denizens are currently trying to find out why the second cavern layer is being flooded by magma. It only occurred sometime after I breached the magma layer, but I have barely interacted with the caverns beyond tunneling past them on my way to magma. It looks like the magma is falling into the cavern from above somewhere above what used to be a cavern lake network. tunneling and bridging through the rock formations is taking some time though, as the slow flow of magma off the map is draining my FPS.

EDIT: Turns out there was a magma pool sitting open in the middle of the cavern layer. It must have simply slipped my notice because of how long it took to flow to the edge I was working in. I can't see a way to stop it flowing, so unless I flood the layer with water I might just have to wait for it to drain fully on it's own.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:44:31 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48362 on: September 05, 2016, 07:22:51 pm »

Work has begun on a project I've had floating around in my head for some time.  Just for future reference, here is the before;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So far the only casualty has been a Founding Miner (though fortunately not the one with Masonry & Stonecrafting).  He died valiantly fighting off a Giant Coati.  Basically a marsupial/rodent thing, except giant.  One of the Oxen actually got credit for the kill, and now has a nickname plus 3 scars.

grendelfreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48363 on: September 05, 2016, 09:43:48 pm »

I was experimenting with various dfhack commands in my fortress and I thought to myself "Hmm, I wonder if 'catsplosion Dwarf' works?". And after 62 baby dwarves instantly being popped out I can confirm that yes it does work...

Cynicalsob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48364 on: September 06, 2016, 03:31:28 am »

Seems to me your vampire is fighting a single undead feather: all the signs (horrified after being attacked by the dead, the name on top of the second image) point to it. The feather is too small to be hit, and too weak to deal damage: it's an infamous bug.

You are absolutely right, my tired brain thought that the FB`s name is Thudel Ulash Sewat`s Feather. Still the description is kinda weird does the feather have a bruised brain attached to it, or is the description about the actual body of the FB not the feather?

I think i will leave him sparring with the feather. Hes going to be one badass fighter after a couple of decades of fighting(assuming skills increase even tho hits dont land).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:05:24 am by Cynicalsob »

Cynicalsob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48365 on: September 06, 2016, 03:35:17 am »

Work has begun on a project I've had floating around in my head for some time.  Just for future reference, here is the before;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So far the only casualty has been a Founding Miner (though fortunately not the one with Masonry & Stonecrafting).  He died valiantly fighting off a Giant Coati.  Basically a marsupial/rodent thing, except giant.  One of the Oxen actually got credit for the kill, and now has a nickname plus 3 scars.

Isengard? First thing that popped in my mind when saw the pic.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48366 on: September 06, 2016, 03:46:55 am »

While everything going fine in my main fortress, with nothing notable to report about its founding, something i have never seen before happened in my hippie fortress. My brewer and planter got married! and only six months in! It seems my modifications to make dwarfs more romantic, combined with my hippie dwarfs spending all their time in the dining room(tent really), has had the desired effect.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48367 on: September 06, 2016, 09:48:39 am »

I spent the weekend starting some tutorial style fortress, and it's the slowest going fort I've done so far, haha. 

I mean, other than writing down the steps on how to do things (at least one time), I was not satisfied to type in d-d-cursor-enter-cursor-enter to dig. 
No, I wanted to make screen shots of the menu selection and add some image to go along with it. 

It's quite challenging describing how to channel a roof, remove the ramp, and dig a few more sand walls, to make farm plots. 
And I have not even started describing my feeder and main seed stock piles.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48368 on: September 06, 2016, 01:11:17 pm »

Decided to try out DF64. Runs noticeably smoother, but occasionally hangs up when opening the large listed menus. Currently building a fort in the middle of a desert. Got about 4 layers of Dolomite and no iron. I'm beginning to think Dolomite, despite being a sedimentary layer, cannot contain Iron ores.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

BruceyBoyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48369 on: September 06, 2016, 05:40:03 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

An army of goblins has besieged my fortress, numbering no less than....... six.

Five ranged goblins, seemingly led by a recruit. The recruit decided to employ some advanced strategy - he and one of the crossbowmen spawned in a tree! However, they quickly hit an unexpected snag - A flock of emus was passing by! Immediately the bowman and crossbowmen began assaulting the emus with full force, while the recruit decided the emus were too much and ran away instantly. From a tree.

As my 10-man mostly-elite militia charged to the scene, they triggered another alert - Snatcher! Protect the children!
I noticed the goblin snatcher was flashing, and upon closer inspection, the it was in fact a goblin lady consort. A spearmaster split from the group, crippled the lady consort who had decided that sneaking through a battle unarmed was wise and stranged the slinking filth to death.

Meanwhile, the rest of the militia exterminated the 4 goblins on the ground, having taken no hits that were not dodged or shield-blocked. Then, the one who'd spawned in a tree, while hardier than their leader and willing to brave emus, ran away too.

Seriously, though - don't thieves usually carry daggers or something? And was it really wise to send in a Lady Consort as a snatcher? (Even ignoring the fact they tried to sneak undetected through the same spot where their pathetic 6-man siege was waging war on emus) I guess they have a chance of sending noteworthy goblins like noble consorts in as snatchers? Now I'm kind of hoping they send in someone even more important to get slaughtered... while their military dick around in a tree fighting emus.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48370 on: September 06, 2016, 06:07:06 pm »

I have successfully established myself in a glacial biome with a multiple race embark. No surface soil or water. No water until second cavern layer.

Food/water/booze productions is steadily meeting demands.

I have a question, though. I don't want any more dwarven migrants. I'm hoping instead to have more elf and human babies to fill up my population. Is there a way to disable migrant waves entirely on a fort that has already started?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48371 on: September 06, 2016, 06:59:47 pm »

Isengard? First thing that popped in my mind when saw the pic.
lol! :D  I actually hadn't thought of it like that, but you're not far off.  I am planning to breed an army of monstrous killing machines, so...

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48372 on: September 06, 2016, 08:16:40 pm »

Soooo ... I transferred Mansionvipers to the laptop to play at 1/4 speed, and ... forgot to change the strict population cap on the laptop install.  :(  The first baby in 9 years was just born.  Annoying!  We were down to 14 underage dwarves, and now we're getting more.

Cynicalsob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48373 on: September 06, 2016, 10:04:38 pm »

I have a question, though. I don't want any more dwarven migrants. I'm hoping instead to have more elf and human babies to fill up my population. Is there a way to disable migrant waves entirely on a fort that has already started?

If your using lnp set popcap to whatever your current population is, thus preventing migrants

Cynicalsob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48374 on: September 06, 2016, 10:30:28 pm »

I am planning to breed an army of monstrous killing machines

I like this, i like this very much.
Pages: 1 ... 3223 3224 [3225] 3226 3227 ... 3842