Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3221 3222 [3223] 3224 3225 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124457 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48330 on: September 02, 2016, 11:14:52 am »

Alright, so the werewolf apocalypse had a near-100% transmission rate. Anyone who survived a fight happened to become one next month. Soon enough there was only one dwarf left in the fort, one of the miners from the starting seven. I didn't know he'd been in a fight, I guess it should be obvious since nobody else could have killed the other two remaining dwarves when they turned. But anyway he got in a fight with some migrants. He died, they didn't get bitten, but just in case I've walled them in their rooms.

Progress with burying the dwarves and pawns who died in the outbreak has been going smoothly, otherwise.

Counting the coffins that have been assigned to the dead, 36 people died. So that was the maximum population of the fort immediately before the attack, and the next migrant wave and birth of more pawns raised it back up to 40
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:21:22 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48331 on: September 02, 2016, 02:44:58 pm »

Gems get hauled by a prodigious number of idlers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48332 on: September 02, 2016, 03:50:23 pm »

I edited some raws and allowed elves/humans to be embarked with as pets.

I then removed the pet tags for a multicultural embark. It's a glacier embark with no surface soil/water or water in the first cavern. There is also a volcano.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48333 on: September 02, 2016, 04:07:55 pm »

I was partly right: one of the dwarves that got in a fight with the last werewolf became one themselves. I've got him locked away in a werewolf factory now, where he can make friends for me later on. I'll pave the floor with cage traps so that as soon as someone passes out/gets stunned they're safely tucked away.

Also started on a hospital. With the concerns regarding werewolves and suchlike I've opted to use drawbridges as doors to the hospital rooms.

I edited some raws and allowed elves/humans to be embarked with as pets.

I then removed the pet tags for a multicultural embark. It's a glacier embark with no surface soil/water or water in the first cavern. There is also a volcano.

I was looking at that thread too. Prompted me to make "pawns" which are essentially human pets, 80% of those born become citizens. Cheap, emotionless, replaceable citizens. They still make friends and such easily enough, and unfortunately have needs which means they become distracted.
Tempting to do the actual embark with humans/elves, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48334 on: September 02, 2016, 08:35:17 pm »

My broker found himself face-to-face with a giant. He got really angry, picked up a nearby trade good, and charged.

Yes, that was the killing blow. And no, the copper cabochon failed to gain a legendary name.

Also, I had a forgotten beast battle between an eight-legged hedgehog and a purple sauropod. The dinosaur won, though it was badly wounded, and trailed blood as it wandered off.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48335 on: September 03, 2016, 12:00:46 am »

A giantess has arrived at Stakeapes, our peaceful little surface village. Here's hoping the 4 spears our tiny militia has are enough.

Update: The militia has yet to reach the giantess.
My manager/bookeeper/broker who is also a miner is dueling her with a pickaxe.
He is fucking her up pretty good, if he survives I'm building him his own mansion.

Update: Manager and an assisting woodcutter managed to knock her out and were slowly cracking open her skull when the first spearmaster arrives and ends it with one stab. Time to build that mansion.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 12:17:52 am by Pirate Santa »
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48336 on: September 03, 2016, 03:53:50 am »

The dwarves of Overcanyon are busily adding to their fortress. The monks belowground have bedrooms now, and they'll soon be getting food and booze delivered straight from the village.

Speaking of the village, controlled digging out of the brook has turned it into a river. Soon, the villagers will have a moat.

The dwarves also have constructed a dormitory and a henhouse. Two of the guineafowl brought by migrants have been placed there to supply the fortress with eggs. The purple amaranth fields are providing food nicely, too.

Last of all, a kobold thief appeared, which is impressive considering it means they've survived near a goblin empire for three centuries. The cowardly thief turned tail the moment the monks were sent after it, keeping the number of deaths on fortress grounds zero.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48337 on: September 03, 2016, 10:21:15 am »

Mansionvipers is going to dam the river.  I have literally never done this before - I diverted a river underground once, but that was for security reasons.  This time I just want a safe fishing hut and I don't see a way to get one without damming the river and building raising bridges around where I want the hut.  I'm going to try the obsidian method for controlling the river for damming.

We've weathered another siege, which was pathetic (less than 30 goblins and no trolls or animals).  Oh well, we can't always get what we want.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48338 on: September 03, 2016, 10:33:32 am »

Mansionvipers is going to dam the river.  I have literally never done this before - I diverted a river underground once, but that was for security reasons.  This time I just want a safe fishing hut and I don't see a way to get one without damming the river and building raising bridges around where I want the hut.  I'm going to try the obsidian method for controlling the river for damming.

We've weathered another siege, which was pathetic (less than 30 goblins and no trolls or animals).  Oh well, we can't always get what we want.
Although I encourage you to build a dam, installing Wall Grates at your underground river will block enemies while still allowing tasty fish & turtles to pass through.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48339 on: September 03, 2016, 10:52:39 am »

Although I encourage you to build a dam, installing Wall Grates at your underground river will block enemies while still allowing tasty fish & turtles to pass through.

I am not sure that anything needs to pass through.  If the bridges don't work and somehow block vermin, then I can always activate the dam and change the configuration, but I believe that the designation of the tile (as "river") is the important part.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48340 on: September 03, 2016, 12:32:38 pm »

If you dam the river, you won't have flow unless you give it another pathway. Just be careful with that  ;). I suggest multiple floodgates in the wall, surrounded by walls. Grates are probably not necessary, but whatever, if you feel like being safe, that's your problem.
Nutsmountain rolling along. Foolish Expert Macedwarf managed to fail to kill a goblin axeman for about 5 strikes - all by the goblin - before the next one took his weapon hand off. His shield skill must've sucked because he did nothing as the goblin turned him into many assorted body parts, because I still haven't finished out my armor to equip them yet. But the siege broke; final tally is probably 18 dead goblins, 13 because of the rotting dust clouds that came through. They've been forbidden as they're coated in Heinous Dust coverings; I've gotta pump some water to them now, dangit. 4 more in cages; including the wildlife traps on the mountain, which they pathed to for some reason. Good for them; the leader hit a cage, one other hit a cage, and they stood there til the next cloud turned them into goblin-goo.
Second casualty was another Macedwarf; I don't know his level but he has high skill. Got a cut into his right arm from another axe-goblin, caused him to drop the mace because of muscle damage. He's recovered completely shortly after being stitched up by my CMD, who has been permanently relieved of all labors except saving dwarves from themselves.
The Speardwarf showed up, though; goblin was stabbed in both feet and crippled before collapsing, and then lost various appendages before his head was "cloven asunder" or whatever it states. Goblins are lame, I need another megabeast. Minotaurs are also lame, though, so even if it's just a semi-Megabeast, so long as it's not one of those, we're good.
Armor industry rolling along. I am TRYING to train up more high-skill armorsmiths, but so far it's just the two who have reached the levels I want to make good quality steel armor. And I'm out of steel; I ran out of marble in my stockpiles, so I had to go fiddle with emergency burrows to get the miners down there. Now I can resume production, once I clean out these dang gold nugget piles everywhere.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48341 on: September 03, 2016, 01:53:50 pm »

If you dam the river, you won't have flow unless you give it another pathway. Just be careful with that  ;). I suggest multiple floodgates in the wall, surrounded by walls. Grates are probably not necessary, but whatever, if you feel like being safe, that's your problem.

I already have all the flow I need in a completely closed-off reservoir.  It powers my millstones, but has enough reserve to power anything I need.  Even if I were to somehow destroy the flow of my river, it isn't needed.

There were probably better ways to do this, but creating a form gave me an elegant single row of obsidian in only one season, even accounting for spending 3/4ths of that time waiting for cave-adapted dwarves to move to and from the site.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48342 on: September 03, 2016, 02:01:03 pm »

Beautiful. Nice engineering. Simple and effective.
I suggest maintaining a large force of conscripts, whose only purpose is to wear clothing that doesn't wear down and have some slight training to go with the weapons they carry at all times.
Also this allows you to train them (via Individual Combat Drills) aboveground to prevent the cave adaptation.
Plus if anything really big and nasty ever shows up, you can just knock it back down when every single dwarf has a weapon.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48343 on: September 03, 2016, 02:11:41 pm »

I don't normally mind cave adaptation.  My military trains outside so it doesn't happen to them, and I prefer to run the cave adaptation timer to max on everyone else so that it just stops running and stops sucking my FPS.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48344 on: September 03, 2016, 02:48:01 pm »

Overcanyon has grown even more! There's now a temple and dining room for both the monks and the smallfolk, as well as a hospital and mass mausoleum. The mausoleum has a hidden tunnel leading to my village, to allow for quick escape in case of danger.

One dwarf got into a strange mood. Because I'd taken no anvil with me (what monk needs metal?) I couldn't help him and he went insane. His corpse was unceremoniously dumped.

In lighter news, I got the brook to flow around my fortress as an extra layer of defense, and I'm creating drawbridges as we speak.

Finally, a mountain titan arrived (I may have set the minimum population for titans to 20). Fortunately, it was made of steam and lacked any special attacks, and my chief medical dwarf/second monk took care of it with a single punch.
Pages: 1 ... 3221 3222 [3223] 3224 3225 ... 3842