Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3212 3213 [3214] 3215 3216 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125098 times)

kewlslice

• Bay Watcher
  • It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48195 on: August 15, 2016, 02:47:00 am »

Did you by any chance turn on historical figure culling? Either way, that's awesome and you should go ahead with your plan.

If it's not on by default then I doubt it.

Now to build a temple devoted to Urist Christ.

Urist Christ? Surely you mean Armok, God of Blood?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48196 on: August 15, 2016, 06:07:20 am »

Were those the actual messages?
Not verbatim, I made up some of it for the effect, but the recruit did single-handedly defeat a major siege with no real help. I don't know what caused him to go on the killing spree in the first place, but I like to think that his beard was cut by a Goblin.

Edit: SwiftKey confuses me sometimes. It just added a random word somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:02:46 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #48197 on: August 15, 2016, 06:25:02 am »

Were those the actual messages?
Not verbatim, I made up some of it for the effect, but the recruit did single-handedly defeat a major siege with no real help. I don't know what caused him to go on the latest killing spree in the first place, but I like to think that his beard was cut by a Goblin.

They called him... An elf!
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48198 on: August 15, 2016, 08:18:33 am »

I have a dwarf child on one of my forts - actually two. They and their mother showed up and their relationships screen shows NO father/husband. So ... non-historical figure culling is on, I guess it deleted him ... but why not delete the whole family? Surely they all would've migrated at the same time, right?
Oh well, it's just worldgen stuff, I guess. I didn't think it could be a unique code fault on my game - guess it's just an oversight. And not a very important one, at that.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #48199 on: August 15, 2016, 12:02:27 pm »

I have a dwarf child on one of my forts - actually two. They and their mother showed up and their relationships screen shows NO father/husband. So ... non-historical figure culling is on, I guess it deleted him ... but why not delete the whole family? Surely they all would've migrated at the same time, right?
Oh well, it's just worldgen stuff, I guess. I didn't think it could be a unique code fault on my game - guess it's just an oversight. And not a very important one, at that.

You too?

Huh. Maybe it's actually a bug.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48200 on: August 15, 2016, 06:01:11 pm »

if historical figure culling is on, I would guess the husband's only relevancy was in the marriage, which wasn't sufficient to track him. The mother probably had additional reasons to not be culled, and the children likewise, if only because she's important and they're her heirs.

I've actually had fathers show up with kids, but list no mother, actually.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48201 on: August 15, 2016, 08:42:43 pm »

The orchard walls are finished, and it's about 20% roofed over.  The dwarves are all back indoors while we make more earthenware bricks.  Although, calling it an orchard is a stretch at the moment; it's just clear-cut ground right now, with some hopeful saplings.

When it comes to blockmaking, the ceramics industry has it all over the glass industry, if one is able to get the collection zone right up against the kilns.  This is very a very fire-and-forget way to create infinite blocks.  The stocks screen tells me that I've created almost 10,000 blocks so far, and almost all of those are earthenware.  I've floored over two magma tubes and the volcano, walled up two cavern layers, built walls around a very large future orchard, floored over the pasture and the above-ground farms, built the fort's entryway, and covered all the unwanted growth in the soil layers, all with earthenware bricks.

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48202 on: August 15, 2016, 09:50:35 pm »

In my current fortress, Alathlisid (Boltclash), I've just commissioned a steel statue to gift to the elves... The image is Rash Dak (The Death of Trees); "This artwork is an image of Cana Faintearthen [one of the visiting elf merchants] and rambutan trees. Cana Faintearthen is striking down the ramubtan trees. The rambutan trees are burning."

Now, the question is, will they be able to carry it?

edit: Yes, they can carry it. And their response, "You are too kind."

I may have to spin off a copy of the fortress to start an adventurer from, and go see what they wind up doing with the statue. Provided I can figure out where they are...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:55:12 pm by xandalis »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48203 on: August 15, 2016, 09:56:09 pm »

Maybe if they brought an elephant?

Since it depicts trees, they will pay extra for it at least.

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48204 on: August 15, 2016, 09:58:38 pm »

Maybe if they brought an elephant?

Since it depicts trees, they will pay extra for it at least.

Oh, the biome my fortress is in has elephants that wander through from time to time. I'll manage to snag a mating pair eventually on my own. I just like insulting/pissing off the elves.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48205 on: August 15, 2016, 10:39:32 pm »

I still have a fort that I enjoy, but I've tried starting a few others. I always end up charging down and breaching the caverns, letting things in, and getting brought low by trolls, blind cave ogres, etc.

So this time I'm going to put a ban on any deep exploration for at least the first year and a half. Early game, I'm going to be putting a major focus into prepping for said exploration. At the same time, I'm going to be trying to make as bad-ass a tavern as I can, and gonna be trying to put a heavy focus on my metal industry.

TL:DR--I'mma make a fort, I hope to make last as long as Archcrystal. There will be at least 2 separate bunkers, that will be (mostly) separate from the rest of the fort.

Bunker 1) Farms, Plant Stockpile, Brewery (position for Brewmaster currently open for a Migrant)
Bunker 2) Metalworking Complex: will be populated by a pair of dorfs who WILL get married and will be a husband/wife weapon/armorsmith team, and whom I plan to have brith all of the metal workers for the future of the fort. Also a woodburner and a furnace operator.

Main Fort: a little bit of everything. Will have relatively safe cavern farms, eventually, trapped entrance(s), etc. Will also be home to a Tavern, a Temple, and a Library. Unless we die horribly before I get the bunkers finished.

If I last long enough I'd like to get Magma Showers set up so that, if necessary, the entire fort can be cleansed with magma from the top down. in case of FB extracts getting tracked all over, a siege we cannot break, or I get bored one day.

Also caches of picks, axes, and booze sequestered from everyone in every bunker (even from the bunker's inhabitants) in case of extreme emergency, or I fuck up the Magma showers and the entire fort is perpetually flooded with Magma.

Metal packing list:

Anvil (x1)
Magnetite (x10)
Marble (x22)
Tetrahedrite (x4)
Cassiterite (x3)
Sphalerite (x2)
Gold Nugget (x1)
Platinum Nugget (x1)

Full set of seeds [Except no plump helmet seeds]
x9 Plump Helmets
x6 Gypsum Plaster
x20 Cave Silk Spider Thread

For food and drink we only have 15 Plump Helmet and 20 Dwarven Beer.

And that's literally all we're bringing.

Dwarves each have exactly one specialty brought up to +5:

Bomrek: Woodcutter
Thob: Grower [Will marry a suitable Migrant, and will be the family that mans the Brewery Bunker]
Morul: Weaponsmith [Intended (by me) to marry Dumed and birth the smiths, furnace operators, wood burners I will use for the next 300 years)
Sibrek: Wood Burner
Ingiz: Carpenter [Intended (by me) to marry Bomrek, and be the parents of the Crafters of the Fortress)
Etur: Furnace Operator (Melt non-Artifacts/Masterworks)
Dumed: Armorsmith (Lots and lots of Charcoal!)

Etur, Sibrek, and Thob are all girls, so no matches for them (yet).
Decided to go this route because I normally split things up a bit more, and I have trouble making sure I have enough charcoal, people to melt things, and I usually only get weapons, not armor.

So this time I'm going to be trying to focus on fundamentals, now, and get myself into the groove of a playstyle that will keep me from messing up too badly--like letting in trolls and ogres in before we're ready.

Gonna be relying on migrants to fill the role of miners, et al.

Like I said, my focus is gonna be on getting a tavern up within a year, and a fully armed/armored militia of at least two members within another 6 months after that, and ONLY breaching the caverns once I'm actually ready, not when I'm feeling impatient.

In the meantime, my grower is going to gather a few plants, brew them up, and then farm the crap out of them on the surface. I may make a greenhouse for the farm, kinda like Daris is doing  with his orchard.

We've also got 4 dogs (3 female), a pair of cats, 3 pigs (2 female), and 3 Turkeys (2 female).

The plan is to make lots of coins, melt them down, and try to get as many bars as possible.

Also, inspired by Archcrystal, gonna try to keep population down as low as possible, keep animal counts down, and keep animals that aren't scheduled to be butchered in cages (also have a cage near the butcher's for those scheduled to be butchered).

So puppies get caged until they're adults, trained for war, and most of them put away into a war cage.

Also see if I can last as long as Archcrystal (lol). Maybe have most of the fort bunkered down, with all the metals, etc, the masterworks transferred up to the depot through an airlock, with a handful of surface dwarves keeping the booze in the tavern well stocked, while farms, further below, serve all the needs of the Bunker.

Also, just for fun, gonna try to pair up the weaponsmith and the armorsmith, see if I can get a smith family going. And all of them will be in charge of fulfilling the metalwork. Maybe try to get 4 kids from them--one for each discipline.

Also, maybe, carpenter/woodcutter.

I've got a 30 population cap/strict cap of 50. Again, inspired by Archcrystal.

Once I get migrants, I'm gonna find a decent guy to marry my Grower, and their descendants shall have the perilous honor of guarding the upper reaches, and making sure we have enough beer, and plants from which to brew them, to serve our tavern's guests. Until that time I plan on locking her away by herself, with a booze/plant stockpile airlocked from the rest of the fort.

If both they and the fort last long enough, I may let them retire in 60+ years or so, and tend the well-defended cavern farms far, far below.

Right now I only have 2 guys, and one's going to marry the smith, and the other is going to marry the carpenter.

And to make things even easier for me, I embarked on a waterfall river split. Meaning water goes down a waterfall, then below that the river splits. So I have three distinct areas of land. I like these because of the mist you can get from clearing out spaces behind the waterfall, as well as the ease of trapping animals and/or invaders by bridging the divide, and then places a few rows of traps around the bridges.

And we've got clay AND sand.

Perfect.

I did a quick Prospect without touching anything else, and we have Gypsum and Lignite, along with Galena and Malachite. And that's just what's visible on the surface, baby. On top of that, we're in a good biome, so Sun Berries, and Featherwood. Featherwood will be relegated to special "do not touch" areas until we get a Legendary Carpenter to make first shields, then bins.

Daddy's also gonna want a Hemp farm, because ever since that one time that I played a cloth-focused fort, I've come to love the clothing industry. Maybe try to grow garlic as an anti-vampiric attempt.

Only way this would have been more ideal for me would have been to swap out the lignite for bituminous coal.

But I'm not complaining.

Long-term goal:

Cut down every tree that does not produce fruit. Is there any research that has been done as to how long a tree has to grow before it hits its max height?

I realize that this would be one hell of a boring research project, especially given the lack of violence (barring an ending that stars magma)

EDIT:

10 bars of Pig Iron, the "greenhouse" walls have been constructed, and we are now roofing it off with floors on the floor above. a 3x2 bridge has been constructed but we don't have any gears, so no levers to retract it yet.

Running into Charcoal bottlenecks, because up until just now I had my Wood Burner building the floor, and the smiths are currently grabbing every wood log they can and bringing them to a central stockpile near where we are going to put the entrance.

I'm going to eventually have to build another bunker, topside, where I have the bunker. The current garden building will probably end up becoming the Depot building. It has a 3x1 downramp filled with water atm, and we'll probably build an airlock in there and get the Masterworks to the Depot through there.

Migrant Wave as I was typing up this reply, letting it run.

One of them has Rank 7 Discipline, Dodging, Fighter and Armor User, Rank 6 Wrestler, and Rank 1 Swordsdwarf.

Looks like we have our first Swordsman!

Looking at Dwarf Therapist, the Carpenter is a lesbian. Fortunately, no asexuals so far.

We have a Butcher (no skills in it, but Rank 6 in tanning) who moonlights in Clothesmaking (Rank 10), someone to spin out Hemp (Rank 11 Spinning), a woman I'm going to draft into the military to marry the Swordsdwarf, and Brewer husband for the resident Grower.

Time to make a couple of picks, and get stuff inside.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 12:34:52 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48206 on: August 16, 2016, 02:30:04 am »

First year, Winter, doing stuff I normally don't do, like rooms. and engraving said rooms. Also dedicated work rooms, as opposed to building the workshops inside the middle of a cleared out floor. This is kinda fun.

Also making a room near the Butcher's place for bones, etc sealed by doors to prevent miasma.

ARMORER HAS BEEN TAKEN BY MOOD. ARMORER HAS BEEN TAKEN BY MOOD. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. DO NOT TOUCH HIM.

......only one Steel Bar?

uh.......okay.
sure.

whatever.

*rubs hands together gleefully*

On the other hand, I'm very thankful he didn't grab platinum/gold bars.

Halt all engraving! This is going to be engraved on all walls and floors until the next artifact!

At which time the site, dwarves, and both artifacts will be engraved on at least one tile (probably a wall for ease of use, since walls are one tile thick, and thus shared by the neighboring room) in each bedroom. And especially so in the metalsmith shop. He's going to be working at the best workstation we can provide him, while being surrounded by images of his artifact.

If it were anything but a Steel piece of armor (or a good weapon) I would put it next to his workstation in a 1x1 binless stockpile. As it is, the Militia Commander gets to wear whatever Steel armament it is.

......unless it's a Low Boot. A single Low Boot.

*sighs*

Oh well. Guess Dumed Mirrorsystems the Legendary (+2) Armorsmith will get to hang onto the boot.

I'm basically waiting on the Miners to get to at least Legendary skill level from mining out the clay and sand before I send them out to harvest all the lignite and not have to worry about fuel for a while.

Because all the trees are gone and hauling wood is a PITA.

Also, Winter migration wave brought 2 kids, and one of 'ems into Poetry. cool. Might make him the tavern keeper.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:46:41 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48207 on: August 16, 2016, 07:20:39 am »

if historical figure culling is on, I would guess the husband's only relevancy was in the marriage, which wasn't sufficient to track him. The mother probably had additional reasons to not be culled, and the children likewise, if only because she's important and they're her heirs.

I've actually had fathers show up with kids, but list no mother, actually.

i don't know what that is, but all migrants have the "seperated from a loved one" unhappy thought.
the hereditary system still has a lot of bugs, i guess, resulting in people without parents or people being their own grandpa.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

LordKnows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48208 on: August 16, 2016, 06:11:21 pm »

Got a surprisingly cool goblin performer troupe in my fortress, traveled the world for over 500 years so pretty skilled. They are called "The Unholy Holes", which is just too perfect, such a nice goblin-y wordplay. Got some nice literature for my library that one of them had written as well. Now I just hope they won't die in drunken violence.

Also, realized that I have built my first fortress ever that would look good in a 3d visualizer... On a version thats not compatible.  :'(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:15:37 pm by LordKnows »

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48209 on: August 16, 2016, 06:26:21 pm »

THE FUCKING IMMORTAL BIT OF A ZOMBIE BUG.

Savescumming is getting extremely aggravating, I'm thinking I'll just skip out on evil biomes for my next start--every few months a dog head or something similar gets reanimated and continues to fight until my entire fort is trapped in perpetual combat with it.

Great for training, bad without dfhack to remove it. >:(
Pages: 1 ... 3212 3213 [3214] 3215 3216 ... 3842