Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3211 3212 [3213] 3214 3215 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125101 times)

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48180 on: August 14, 2016, 12:26:25 pm »

Got my very first atrifact today!

And then the game crashed...
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48181 on: August 14, 2016, 12:54:09 pm »

just killed my first Forgotten Beast ever.

It was a short and easy fight, except for the Extract. Only two dwarves got hit, and only a few squares were effected. Walls are being erected on those squares, and will never be used again.

Especially because it's a rotting extract.

the surgeons weren't able to get to the men quickly enough, and two of my men rotted away before anything could be done. They are now being given a mandatory retirement, and they will live with all honors.

Domas Atolinod, the Swordsman, will retire, if he is able, without vision, to a Gem Setting position in a well-protected area of the fort. He has 7 kills under his belt. a Human Dancer, Thelo Dungsoars, the Forgotten Beast, 4 Crundles and a Cave Crocodile.

Domas Monomdesis was an archer in the making. Of the two Marksdwarves I have, he was the one more likely to get more bolts and actually shoot. Without vision, it is unlikely he will ever be able to shoot his bow again. We'll see if he can tend crops. We always need more booze.

I'll miss those two crazy bastards.

At least they kept the other 7, and the fort, from getting infected.
*sniffle*  That's beatiful :'(

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48182 on: August 14, 2016, 01:14:19 pm »

apparently blind dwarves can still fight melee decently, even if they can't detect arrows for crap.

This calls for......

the Blind Man's Bluff Squad!

aka the Domas Duo.

They're back in action, but only in certain, specialized situations. Otherwise they can retire if they want to.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48183 on: August 14, 2016, 01:52:59 pm »

Armok-damned Crundles!

They're hanging off the wall, and all the dorfs that don't currently have jobs are stuck, either terrified or trying to attack them.

My main militia force is making sure they can't rush in and kill everyone, but my one remaining Marksdwarf is getting some awesome practice in. For the first time, not using Bone Bolts.

No, now we're hunting with Iron.

EDIT: First 25 Bolts knocked 2.5 Crundles off. Still a ways to go, and nobody else I really want to draft to be a Marksdwarf (aside from the obvious blind guy).

Screw this, and screw the inaccuracies: I'm loading up the 6-man melee Squad with some of my Legendary Bone Crossbows, metal Bolts, and go with the spray and pray method. a quarter of the people piled up there will die of hunger by the time the lone, soon-to-be-Great Marksdwarf finishes them all off.

EDIT2: THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO TAKE A NAP, Awesome MARKSDORF GUY!

EDIT3: Not proud of it, but I used exterminate on the crundles, because there was literally no way anyone could attack them, and everyone was bunching up on the corner.....plus I think some of the folks might have been either fighting each other or getting friendly fire from some crossbow bolts, because some people's thumbs were flying off.

Anyway, the fort can actually MOVE again, as opposed to literally every free dorf crowding into 1-3 squares trying to get at the crundles hanging off the wall.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 02:22:53 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48184 on: August 14, 2016, 01:56:22 pm »

Mansionvipers just had its first real siege, with 100+ invaders.  It was fought off by, effectively, 8 dwarves, because the two newest recruits decided that this would be a great time to nap.  A lot of the invaders must have escaped, because I only count 81 kills amongst the 8 that actually fought, and I had more than two pages of invaders.

We got the front step cleaned up just in time for the human caravan to roll in through puddles of troll blood and not be frightened away by the terrifying, terrifying dead bodies, but the rest of the carnage is going to have to wait to be resolved.  There is only so much stockpile space after all.

I'll miss those two crazy bastards.

Disabled military can lead and train recruits until they are ready to be transitioned to active duty.  It's an honorable retirement for a dwarf who sacrificed much for the fortress.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48185 on: August 14, 2016, 03:21:32 pm »

Ochrehonor's first military squad, 

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48186 on: August 14, 2016, 03:22:26 pm »

Ochrehonor's first military squad, "The Mighty Avalanches" has been formed! I've taken people who have weapon skills already, now it's just a matter of finding/making metal so I can equip them!

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48187 on: August 14, 2016, 04:19:22 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!
The Goblin Swordsman glances at the Recruits head, tearing the beard!
The Recruit is enraged!
The Goblin Swordsman has been found dead, smashed into the dirt.
The Goblin Axeman has been kicked to death.
The Goblin Archer has been found dead, decapitated.
The Recruit has entered a martial trance!
The Troll has been found dead.
The Goblin Spearman has been found dead, decapitated.
The Goblin Lasher has been found dead, constricted by the neck with his own weapon.
The Goblin Archer has been found dead, impaled with arrows.
The Goblin Swordsman has been found dead, drowned in blood.
The Bronze colossus has been defeated!
The Shadow Devil has been defeated!
Siege was broken.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48188 on: August 14, 2016, 04:22:16 pm »

Were those the actual messages?

In any case, I've had my first bar fight and now I have to patch up everyone somehow.

Maybe just let them rest.

A dwarf got possessed and made an artifact hatch cover.

EDIT: I've breached the caverns! A hunter has already killed a Draltha, too.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 05:08:42 pm by AzyWng »

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48189 on: August 14, 2016, 05:48:36 pm »

Decided to work on the orchard some more.  The area I chose has(had) a lot of mature trees and I hoped to save at least some of them.  I'd heard the story that building a construction over a tree growth doesn't crash the game anymore, and thought I'd use that to save as many of the large trees as I could.

Yeah, that was a serious mistake.  The game doesn't crash, but it's still bugged to hell and I wound up with accidental cave-ins on the surface.  Then I had a section of wall where the wall had been destroyed but the implied floor above it was still there and preventing me from replacing the missing section.  It's taken some time to resolve this, but I think I've got it corrected.  Luckily no dwarves died, although one broke her leg and another has a smashed-up hand.  I'm glad I have no plans for that second dwarf that involve the use of his hand, because fingers never heal.  The chief medical dwarf napped through everything, while the engraver patched up the injured.  Engraving is sort of like surgery, right?

I've since ordered all trees cut.  Some of them are 6-z in height and I neither want to build that high, nor risk trying to build a floor over the branches, because who knows what might happen.  Nope, all those trees are coming down, and I'll make do with what re-grows in the future.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48190 on: August 14, 2016, 05:50:02 pm »

I typically just set a plant gathering zone and leave it at that. Unless something's threatening the trees?

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48191 on: August 14, 2016, 05:58:18 pm »

I typically just set a plant gathering zone and leave it at that. Unless something's threatening the trees?

Nothing's threatening the trees, but sieges and cave adaptation don't go together.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #48192 on: August 14, 2016, 10:51:32 pm »

So, let me preface this by saying this could be a common occurrence, but as far as I know it's not.

So, I started a fortress with the general goal of building a nice, calm outpost filled with temples and taverns and general nice stuff. Y'know, for Dwarfs to visit to get away from the domestic life of being attacked by the same dragon every year.
 Started out fine, I built some nice big rooms and tried a new layout, while keeping everything comfortable and open for expansion. A migrant wave showed up and I got a laugh out of one of the dwarves being named "Boatface". Of course, now he's also nicknamed "Boaty mc", because I'm easy to entertain.

Then the interesting bit happened. I was going through all of the dwarves, and I found this female dwarf with a child. Well, I was a bit surprised to find they didn't have a husband, seeing as creatures in DF can't reproduce unless they're married. So I went ahead and checked on the child.
Well, the child doesn't have a father. It's "Child McUrist is the son of Female McUrist" and that's it. Same in the relationships screen, just a mother and deity.
So, seeing as dwarves can't make baby dwarves without getting married...
I'm saying Jesus just moved to my temple fortress. That's what I'm saying.

So, I think it's time to form Uristianity in this world.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #48193 on: August 14, 2016, 10:54:41 pm »

Did you by any chance turn on historical figure culling? Either way, that's awesome and you should go ahead with your plan.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #48194 on: August 14, 2016, 10:59:29 pm »

Did you by any chance turn on historical figure culling? Either way, that's awesome and you should go ahead with your plan.

If it's not on by default then I doubt it.

Now to build a temple devoted to Urist Christ.
Er, atleast I think that's right.
Pages: 1 ... 3211 3212 [3213] 3214 3215 ... 3842