Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3210 3211 [3212] 3213 3214 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125240 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48165 on: August 13, 2016, 12:18:40 pm »

Metalhowl is cleaning up after the last goblin siege. 50 dead goblins left a bunch of mess. I'm quickly starting to hate goblins. They leave a mess of crap that takes tons of hauling to clean up all the goblin bits and ruined clothing and armor scraps. And my god the teeth. The countless scattered goblin teeth that each take one hauling job to move to either the refuse stockpile, where one tooth takes an entire tile of space in the stockpile, or take a hauling job to move to the atom smasher.

How many teeth does a single goblin fit in his head? Too many.

I think for my next fort I'm gonna try some kind of magma based death trap to incinerate goblin garbage as well as kill the living goblin garbage.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48166 on: August 13, 2016, 01:56:01 pm »

In the process of getting some unit IDs for the outpost liaison and the human guild rep to fix their stuck-ness, I went back to some old saves and looked at the civ screens, and I realized that most of my civilization has been destroyed in the past ~8 years.  We went from a dozen barons and baronesses to the duke of Mansionvipers and one other duke of another site.  The position of king also changed hands.

It makes me wish I'd paid attention to those world status updates the diplomats keep trying to give me.  There is a serious-business war happening and it seems like we are losing.  I may export legends and take a look at them.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48167 on: August 13, 2016, 03:10:30 pm »

Magma crab has given birth to a girl.

Whaaaa????
This is making my ambitious project of pumping magma up about 24 z levels less and less attractive... I'm now wondering what else could go wrong like this. Now there's TWO magma crabs swimming around in that pit of magma, so I'm wondering if this is a good idea.
I'm still gonna do it, of course. Gonna need some iron parts ... and some walls ... and ... some expendable dwarves.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48168 on: August 13, 2016, 03:25:07 pm »

Well, I had an interesting community fort played today. Not on here actually. Mostly was a year of scrambling to get a bunch of derpy little buggers to put together something vaguely resembling a fort.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #48169 on: August 13, 2016, 03:48:17 pm »

Man, this got away from me.

You stared too long into the bucket, and it stared back into you.

Bah, he blinked first.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 09:20:50 pm by overseer05-15 »
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48170 on: August 13, 2016, 04:08:06 pm »

So it turns out that the Cobalt Blockade was at complete peace until my group of dwarves, the Finders-Armory of Furnaces, decided to settle smack in the middle of goblin territory.  The Malicious Scourge immediately went to war and has been at war ever since.  They strike the Mountainhome frequently, which has led to some churn in the nobility; I had only noticed 1 changeover of monarch, but we've actually had 3 in very recent years.  The goblins have also overrun and taken over 5 (!) of our sites.

I almost feel guilty.  Almost.

Hopefully this means that we'll get regular sieges once our population reaches 80.  We've had three so far anyway.  We have 1 well-equipped melee squad as our military defense, along with a bunch of cage traps.  I think it'll be fine.  I think.

Corune

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Make them all fish. All of them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48171 on: August 13, 2016, 05:03:30 pm »

Just had a Werechameleon attack.  Now, the initial attack went great.  He just killed one dwarf, and everyone else was fine, or so I thought.  Give the game a couple days, I'm making a coffin for the dead dwarf and going about business like usual, when all of the sudden, there's blood on my fortress walls!  I look around and there's a new Werechameleon!  So, I start setting up a squad to defend, but by the time they get started, nearly everyone in the fortress was dead.  Turns out, there were FOUR werechameleons spread across all levels of my fortress.  The only survivors were four dwarf children (the werechameleons) and my two fishers, who happened to be on the river.
Dead Fortresses: 7

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48172 on: August 13, 2016, 06:19:10 pm »

Sounds like some folks got bit.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Corune

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Make them all fish. All of them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48173 on: August 13, 2016, 06:38:32 pm »

They did.  :-\  Now to learn how to prevent transformations...
Dead Fortresses: 7

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48174 on: August 13, 2016, 06:46:32 pm »

They did.  :-\  Now to learn how to prevent transformations...

Isolation is your only hope.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #48175 on: August 13, 2016, 09:34:17 pm »

A trainer got into an accident.  He went into the giant voracious cave crawler pens - presumably to train one of the giant voracious cave crawlers - and one of them lashed out at him and bit him in the throat, tearing a major artery. There's a long trail of blood leading away form the pens. He's dead. Fortunately it was the lesser skilled of the two trainers in Metalhowl.

The responsible cave crawler is exceptionally trained, not wild or semi-wild, so it looks like this was the result of cramped conditions. There's been issues with the crawlers fighting in the past, but it was usually only between the crawlers or an occasional other animal.

So now I'm setting most of the excess crawlers to be trained for war, then I'll probably assign one to each military dwarf and stick the rest in the dog bomb cage. Gotta make space.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48176 on: August 13, 2016, 10:50:48 pm »

The old fort was scrapped due to not enough breeding dwarves, turns out the lovers I had in that fort? both female, rather annoying, so I modded the dwarves to all be straight and made a new world, things have gone considerably better, three marriages and a few children born, not as many as I'd like but I'll take what I can get, there is only one problem I have on this map...giant gray langur, horrible beasts, the war dogs guarding the entrance seem to keep them a bay for awhile, almost acting like an invisible barrier, they inevitably get through and end up in the cage traps, after which they are crushed into non-existence.

The dwarven population is slowly growing, whether or not I'll be able to get these new dwarves to get married and have kids of their one one day is yet to be seen.

Blessed are the war dogs who guard the fort against the giant gray langur menace... I should seriously consider getting some beefier fort entrance defense though.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #48177 on: August 14, 2016, 08:45:16 am »

Just train the giant gray langurs and use them to guard your fort against the other langurs.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48178 on: August 14, 2016, 09:04:31 am »

Langurs suck. Against unarmed goblins, they might cause some damage, but they're no match for trained war dogs unless they outnumber them by a lot. They just get "Overwhelmed by Terror" after some of their blood starts coating the ground.
However, if you've got something like bears or giant bears or giant ... well ... almost anything else, that'll work better than just dogs.
Now giant war dogs ... that'd be something else.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48179 on: August 14, 2016, 11:51:20 am »

just killed my first Forgotten Beast ever.

It was a short and easy fight, except for the Extract. Only two dwarves got hit, and only a few squares were effected. Walls are being erected on those squares, and will never be used again.

Especially because it's a rotting extract.

the surgeons weren't able to get to the men quickly enough, and two of my men rotted away before anything could be done. They are now being given a mandatory retirement, and they will live with all honors.

Domas Atolinod, the Swordsman, will retire, if he is able, without vision, to a Gem Setting position in a well-protected area of the fort. He has 7 kills under his belt. a Human Dancer, Thelo Dungsoars, the Forgotten Beast, 4 Crundles and a Cave Crocodile.

Domas Monomdesis was an archer in the making. Of the two Marksdwarves I have, he was the one more likely to get more bolts and actually shoot. Without vision, it is unlikely he will ever be able to shoot his bow again. We'll see if he can tend crops. We always need more booze.

I'll miss those two crazy bastards.

At least they kept the other 7, and the fort, from getting infected.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!
Pages: 1 ... 3210 3211 [3212] 3213 3214 ... 3842