Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3209 3210 [3211] 3212 3213 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125241 times)

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48150 on: August 12, 2016, 08:51:05 pm »

The (former) cook "Ducim Rodimeshtan" has created Bualsemor, "The Worried Unions", a bituminous coal ring.

The name and the fact that it has spikes on it makes me think it wouldn't be the best wedding ring.

The cook became a stonecrafter once the ring was finished. Cool.
The ring represents the slow but unstoppable passage of time leading into the abyss that is death.

And buckets.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48151 on: August 12, 2016, 09:13:10 pm »

But a universe of action is meaningless without observation. Observation defines people and action. As we are people, it defines us. There are exceptions of course but, ultimately, what we are is irrelevant; what matters to the average person is self image. Its the Matrix question; is a fake world fake is you think it's real? MY answer is yes, but that's just me. You may disagree and that is fine.

The universe is ultimately meaningless, and what meaning people write into it is ephemeral.  Ask any bucket: what is the meaning of the water it holds?  That water will sustain the life of a dwarf today, but that dwarf will die eventually, and the giving of the water only delays the inevitable.  The water itself moves on, ageless, meaningless.  Only buckets have true wisdom.

Also, why don't they make buckets FOR buckets

Each bucket is a self-contained, self-referential cylinder, circular and limitless in one dimension and finite and limited in another.  No bucket needs another bucket.  They are whole and centered in themselves, and need nothing.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48152 on: August 12, 2016, 09:19:41 pm »

Eventually the bucket will rot or break or burn or otherwise be destroyed.

Only the simplest of things are capable of staying intact throughout the passage of time. The water, for instance, even if it should be vaporized or frozen, will continue to exist as steam or ice.

In other news, I've established the tavern "The Red Harvests" in Ochrehonor. Hopefully we'll get some visitors soon. The current seating consists of five tables and five chairs.

I'm not sure what good rooms will do since money isn't a thing quite yet (hopefully Today will (re)add the economy in the near future).

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48153 on: August 12, 2016, 09:19:46 pm »

Nihlism is pointless; it is best to assume that life matters because you can't be sure it doesn't (due to a lack of empirical fact, just a close second) and if it doesn't nothing changes. Meanwhile, you're happier.

And a buckets water matters if time is merely a function of the senses and movement through the fourth dimension doesn't actually exist and all things exist as once, as some say.

Also, the idea of perfection is flawed; a bucket within a bucket is MORE bucket and although there is not necessity in it, there is meaning, for buckets are eternal and buckets are holy.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48154 on: August 12, 2016, 09:21:31 pm »

Only the simplest of things are capable of staying intact throughout the passage of time. The water, for instance, even if it should be vaporized or frozen, will continue to exist as steam or ice.
Yes, but one must ponder whether or not it is the SAME water, as it is now in different configuration, form and shape. Are components all that matter, or is there something more?

Like buckets.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48155 on: August 12, 2016, 09:26:24 pm »

Not an artifact candy bucket.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48156 on: August 12, 2016, 10:17:07 pm »

Did a scan with the Dwarven Deep SonarTM on my fort and found that the caverns were... At Z-Level zero?

Is that where the circus is? I'm mainly asking 'cause I'm definitely not prepared to give clowns the proper greetings.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48157 on: August 12, 2016, 10:35:31 pm »

I thought it would be interesting to try making a fortress in a dead world with a ton of horrible beasties in it...yeah, the dwarves and elves went extinct, an incredibly small amount of humans and the modded in naga lived, the goblins...ten thousand of them, they were completely unaffected by the events of the world, you know why? The dark fortress is on a tiny island that is completely covered by the dark fortress, it's not even a long swim.

I embarked and quickly as I could got everything set up, occasionally a naga will come to visit, I wonder if their just spawned into existence or it's actually one of the naga left alive, not really important, either way their story is over the dwarves shall rise once more!

Not much of importance has happened until very recently, a few years did pass and eventually once everything was nice and set up I could let the dwarves just hang out and socialize, one marriage and another set of lovers there is, and a baby was born! Perhaps dwarven kind has a chance, not going to get my hopes up though, I'm ready to increase the pop cap to let some dwarves come in case the lovers don't get married soon.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #48158 on: August 12, 2016, 11:18:08 pm »

I come back to see only this on a page, and am intrigued. An atom smasher could destroy the bucket, which leads to the implication that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Man, this got away from me.

TL;DR: we are more powerful than the gods. buckets and bridges, man.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48159 on: August 13, 2016, 01:30:02 am »

That magma crab climbed out of the tube finally and made for the exit. Where I had some dogs pastured, no less. The dogs all died. It also set the level the dogs were on and the one immediately below on fire. Dwarves came and put down the magma crab without being told to, without injury, but by that point all I could do was order everyone to hide downstairs until the fire burned itself out. A couple dorfs got stuck in inconvenient and dangerous places but in the end there were no casualties; I had them build a dirt road where they were stuck and they complied, removing the vegetation and saving their lives. It's almost like they aren't dwarves...

"Fireproofed" the hallways around there by installing floors that split it up so fires can only burn so far before dying. Hopefully that proves sufficient.

Anyway, nothing too bad has happened. Only deaths have been that farmer that dehydrated himself due to insanity and the armorer who flat out vanished without a trace. Doubt I'll ever find what happened to him. There have been more raids by keas, and the crossbow squad had some live target practice. Oh, and somehow a crundle found its way into my mayors quarters and got itself pincushioned for its trouble. Not sure where it got in at, I need to seal it ASAP.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48160 on: August 13, 2016, 02:04:10 am »

You stared too long into the bucket, and it stared back into you.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48161 on: August 13, 2016, 08:09:06 am »

Nutsmountain (Ishlumonol) is coming along great. Set in a terrifically evil mountain biome with rotting dust clouds, with nearby grassland and rocky wastes that provide trees, it lacks only coal. I've got iron and native gold, plus some tetrahedrite and sphalerite (what's brass good for? Shields, maybe?), and tons of gems, but I'm utterly reliant on charcoal, and for steel making (I have flux), it's insufficient. Too slow and clunky. Plus the elves won't get angry at me for clearcutting; they've sent no ambassadors. But I need to train my militia once I've got them properly equipped with all-high-quality steel pieces. Currently training the armorer and weaponsmith; the weaponsmith is putting out good-quality pieces, must have some modifier other than his Competent skill. The Armorer has well-craft stuff, but I want better. I want Masterpieces, superior, and exceptional stuff. This militia needs to be efficient.
In other words, our first unwelcome visitor! A Minotaur. Spent 5 minutes standing outside the walled-in animal pen on the mountain before busting the door. 6 random livestock down, none of them terribly important. The yaks are in the other pen; they were starving up there. Two marksdwarves are the subject of a debate on atomsmashing. They BOTH went to sleep on duty: one while in position waiting for me to TRY to assemble some hastily armed melee dwarves, and one after the Minotaur interrupted this plan and forced me to send them in. So one lone Marksdwarf shot 10 bolts and tore the Lady Minotaur into bits. I was kind of hoping to trap it, actually, in one of my various cages. Would've been nice to get two, lol, have a Minotaur Labyrinth with replenishing Minotaurs.
In other news, there's a Jabberer in cavern layer 3. Showerlord, he is called; he left a trail of devastation. It appears that he finished off a Blind Cave Ogre and a troll after they slaughtered crundles and Cave Swallow men and women. Also he finished some of them; I only found blood spatters from him. And the cut-off on the Loo"k" menu showed only "A pool of Showerlord's Jabbe", but it's red and I can guess the rest of that.
Good thing it's walled.
In other news, 100 dwarves. Yay. A Grand Master furnace operator has gone to the Mayor twice for a "meeting" because he's been "under a lot of stress". This is because of an injury to his forearm that has left one arm crippled completely; he was attacked by a Giant Gray Langur while the sole armed militia commander was too far away to help. And he didn't run to the dogs, who have torn many a Gray Langur to pieces. I thought he would die; anyway, he didn't, but later he became "Stressed". It's because he was one of the 80 dwarves then who didn't have a room. He's been given a good one, now, but I'm gonna need to improve it. He needs far more happiness per day so he stops wasting time on meetings. And he's a Grand Master; if he goes insane, I'm going to be angry.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I've caged 6 female Dark Gnomes. I'm trying to cage a male; they'd be nice for training melee dwarves using wooden weapons. Just dozens of Dark Gnomes in a mass pit. Airlock doors and the rooms themselves are being assembled now. I've got two: one is the breeding room, with a trap corridor coming off of it, the other is the killing room. I'll just capture and re-pit them all every time I want to train dwarves.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:48:56 am by StarWars1981 »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48162 on: August 13, 2016, 09:00:30 am »

I come back to see only this on a page, and am intrigued. An atom smasher could destroy the bucket, which leads to the implication that

The gods will know our hate now. We, who are but mortal upon a plane created by their wims, have attained the power to destroy everything with nought but a bridge. Our power is now limitless, our bloodlust titanic.

The heavens shall be broken with a smash of bridge against flesh, the crunch of death and then silence. And HE shall look down upon it all, the displacement of both angels and gods.

And he shall but chuckle and start the world anew.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48163 on: August 13, 2016, 09:11:15 am »

Dingoes turned up. One of them was apparently beaten to death by my dwarves (I have no soldiers)! Good job!

One of my miners was possessed and kept asking for metal, and silk or some other kind of cloth that I don't have. Eventually the unknown forces grew too much for him and he went nuts, stripping his clothes off and wandering the halls until he died of dehydration.

Thankfully two miners had turned up by then. I put the corpse in a coffin on the same level as where I plan to put the bedrooms.

Operations to gather ALL THE PLANTS have been quite successful, we've been preparing some truly epic salads now.

We haven't tried to dig down too much just yet. We still don't have bedrooms.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48164 on: August 13, 2016, 10:43:57 am »

This escalated quickly and awesomely 
Pages: 1 ... 3209 3210 [3211] 3212 3213 ... 3842