Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3208 3209 [3210] 3211 3212 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125346 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48135 on: August 11, 2016, 08:51:40 pm »

And finally, unforbidding clothes on the only qsp I HAD. (Caused major stutter/df not responding) Really thought that was the end, I'll never have another qsp. In ANY fort. EVER.
Tried mass forbidding 5 qsps on a 2,75 year old fort, noticed no difference(if there was any, it was less than 5%).

Of course, Anvillocked is lot older than that. I imagine your game must stutter if you scroll down to clothes in stocks?

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48136 on: August 11, 2016, 09:30:30 pm »

Apparently all the work I put into a fort went down the toilet when my computer had an automatic restart for updates.

grrrr......

I had an awesome moment where I was unprepared for a 5-7 goblin invasion, which laid out 6 of my 20-dorf fort, with one death. It was a harrowing experience where I had to rush to get a hospital zone up, and make sure that everyone got medical care (they did), and had to prioritize making splints and buckets--basically up-ending the entire fort for a season to get everyone back to work.

.......aaaaand I didn't save it, apparently, just left it running to come back to later.

:(

On that note, I do have a question for the forum:

One of the Goblins was a Lady Consort. Does this mean that I killed royalty in this aborted timeline?

If so, I can prep a squad and have them train hard, get a fully equipped hospital set up, and be ready when she and her forces show up again.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48137 on: August 11, 2016, 09:47:29 pm »

In my fight against xclothesx I've been reducing the whole industry, plants,thread, cloth,clothes.
Using only 3 clothier shops, packed with items to make. Im using workflow to find the XspotX, not the overproduction xspotx. And avoiding the tattered thought XXspotXX  ;)
I used to provide leather hood,cloak,gloves,shoes. But couldn't provide enough leather, even maxxing all leather types from dwarfs. And the variety of worn leather types was just insane.
Most clothes are set to 1 to 5, but I had to bump shoes to 5 to 20.
The stocks screen only lags (and badly) on the 46k granite blocks we've got.
Recently read the page up/down will skip over it, wich is faster than going up to get under it.

Goatmaan
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:02:38 pm by Goatmaan »
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48138 on: August 12, 2016, 01:50:28 pm »

Good lord, It's been so long since I've had magnetite that I forgot how much of it there tends to be, I've smelted quite a bit of it and I still have over 100 magnetite leftover, and there is still tons of it that hasn't been mined out yet, I haven't even fully mined out the first cluster! Unless I decide to do some kind of mega project with iron I don't think I'll run out before boredom or fps death hits. Sadly I don't seem to have any flux stone on the map so no steel.

I had made the mistake of placing the bit where the magma flows in the obsidian generator at the top layer of the magma which had no access to the edge on it, I successfully made a new one without any casualties and it fills much faster then the old one.

Things are going well, I'll have to wait and see if a siege changes that.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48139 on: August 12, 2016, 04:17:11 pm »

The fort in the dead world, Youngbastion, has had another death. This time it was a farmer who had a mood. I left the game unpaused without paying attention to what he needed and he went insane. At least he got a masterwork coffin.

I'm flooring over the magma pipe at the moment, digging out long entryway tunnels for merchants to use to reach an internal depot, and setting up a hospital. Population steady at 79 (my poor laptop could never take more than 100)

We are currently swamped in eggs. On second thought I don't need all those female ovetheres in the egg collection room. I'll have to find them a separate room without nest boxes. Or only one nest box. Yeah, that might work. I got all the undesirable males gelded and the desirable males and females sorted into two separate rooms. The next generation will hopefully be healthier overall.

But first I'm going to have to make a lot more omelets.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48140 on: August 12, 2016, 04:28:41 pm »

As we approach the end of our tenth year in Showerblockades we look around and see what we have done. We live in a hybrid city, half above ground and half below. Our population is firm at 46 adults and 10 children. Our militia is a formidable force of 10 dwarves legendary for their skills in their chosen weapons. They have protected us from enemies who have taken notice of and affront at our success, slaying a minotaur this past year and a cyclops the year before that. Our queen, her consort, and our duke have all served us well in the workshops and in battle. Our scholars have begun writing our stories that we may give copies to the caravan to spread throughout the lands. Food is plentiful and we lack for nothing. You spend most of your days engaged in socialization, meditation, and prayer, uninterrupted by happenings outside our bounds. Assuming things happen out there, which I'm starting to doubt...

I'm thinking I'll probably mothball this world soon and start a new one on 4.03. I'm regularly below 20fps and I moved this save to 4.05 before realizing therapist wouldn't work with it anymore.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48141 on: August 12, 2016, 05:13:29 pm »

So, the final pieces of my demon-annoying plans are falling into place, plus or minus one crundle interrupting my kobolds. Oh, and a bard is visiting. How cute.

That markskobold has also been here all this time.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48142 on: August 12, 2016, 07:19:32 pm »

In celebration of my moving to a new laptop, I've deleted my old fortress in favor of a new one!

Things have gone pretty well so far (no deaths yet, although the year is still young). I have noticed, however, that the embark wagon brought along some prepared giant hare brains.

Hunting must be pretty fun in at the mountainhome!

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48143 on: August 12, 2016, 07:37:14 pm »

I'm really digging some of the names of artifacts created in this fort.

The Play of Eyes, a bed.  Hillbelts the Abyssal Flesh-Lens, also a bed.  These sound like nightmare fuel.

The Kiss of Purity, a table.  It is in the Duke's dining room.  No word on whether he's kissed it yet.

The Citadel of Suicide, bone greaves.  I don't think I'll give those to anyone valuable.

The Blanketed Foot-Reverence, a helm.  Really.

Practicespoken the Spirit-Shark of Panting, a frilly silk hood.

Flickercrossed the Bristle-Lance of Crafts.  Not a lance, but a statue.

Boardtempted the Anger-Room of Shades, a war hammer.  The Anger-Room of Shades.  Awesome.

The Confining Hunger-Watch, a mechanism.  No, a vampire didn't make it.

Viperlulled the Mind-Knowledge of Rooms, a bucket.  I'm trying to think of how knowledge might exist outside the mind.  The obvious and easy answer is that one could write it down, but that isn't really knowledge, but rather something that can be interpreted by another mind to reconstruct knowledge.  I don't think knowledge can exist without a mind.  This is a deeper question than one I expected to find in a bucket.

Sprayedempire the Distinct Desert-Responsibilities, a very impressive name for a microcline toy axe.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #48144 on: August 12, 2016, 08:09:27 pm »

Viperlulled the Mind-Knowledge of Rooms, a bucket.  I'm trying to think of how knowledge might exist outside the mind.  The obvious and easy answer is that one could write it down, but that isn't really knowledge, but rather something that can be interpreted by another mind to reconstruct knowledge.  I don't think knowledge can exist without a mind.  This is a deeper question than one I expected to find in a bucket.
Goddamn buckets, making me ponder the fabric of consciousness and thought.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48145 on: August 12, 2016, 08:35:13 pm »

Goddamn buckets, making me ponder the fabric of consciousness and thought.

If the difference between act and actor is a purely semantic one that does not exist in reality, then it follows that there is similarly no difference between knowledge and knower, and the apparent separation is purely a trick of language.  This is the wisdom of buckets: you are as you know, and there is no daylight between you and the thing that you believe to be separate from you, that you call "knowledge."

This is what I learned today from Dwarf Fortress.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48146 on: August 12, 2016, 08:38:54 pm »

Snap
Problem with this is that the act is influenced by the concept of actor and, because existence is ultimately defined by our perceptions, the IDEA of an actor arguably creates one. The actor is, in itself, an act but part of the act is the belief in actor.

Also, yeah, buckets kick ass.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48147 on: August 12, 2016, 08:46:07 pm »

Problem with this is that the act is influenced by the concept of actor and, because existence is ultimately defined by our perceptions, the IDEA of an actor arguably creates one. The actor is, in itself, an act but part of the act is the belief in actor.

It is only through acting that one becomes an actor, and one cannot be said to have power if one never exercises it.  Ideas are important, but the idea of action does not create action, and only action creates an actor.  Similarly, only knowledge creates a knower; one is not a knower if one does not know.  Knowledge is an action, the act of knowing.  The universe is kinetic, a universe of action, not unlike the action of atoms moving around in a bucket of water.  Without that motion, the bucket would contain nothing.

Buckets contain universes.

Also, if they are made of candy, they make for really high-value wells.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48148 on: August 12, 2016, 08:49:15 pm »

The (former) cook "Ducim Rodimeshtan" has created Bualsemor, "The Worried Unions", a bituminous coal ring.

The name and the fact that it has spikes on it makes me think it wouldn't be the best wedding ring.

The cook became a stonecrafter once the ring was finished. Cool.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48149 on: August 12, 2016, 08:50:29 pm »

It is only through acting that one becomes an actor, and one cannot be said to have power if one never exercises it.  Ideas are important, but the idea of action does not create action, and only action creates an actor.  Similarly, only knowledge creates a knower; one is not a knower if one does not know.  Knowledge is an action, the act of knowing.  The universe is kinetic, a universe of action, not unlike the action of atoms moving around in a bucket of water.  Without that motion, the bucket would contain nothing.

Buckets contain universes.

Also, if they are made of candy, they make for really high-value wells.
But a universe of action is meaningless without observation. Observation defines people and action. As we are people, it defines us. There are exceptions of course but, ultimately, what we are is irrelevant; what matters to the average person is self image. Its the Matrix question; is a fake world fake is you think it's real? MY answer is yes, but that's just me. You may disagree and that is fine.

Also, why don't they make buckets FOR buckets
Pages: 1 ... 3208 3209 [3210] 3211 3212 ... 3842