Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3198 3199 [3200] 3201 3202 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125912 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47985 on: July 27, 2016, 05:45:49 pm »

I hope "screw up" means more "stitch patients together and reanimate" and less "injure them further, then refuse to treat them".

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47986 on: July 27, 2016, 06:58:28 pm »

Created a super-lethal fort some time ago. Might've posted about its beginning. So far, gone underground. It was built at the border of mountains, rocky wasteland, and I think taiga. Two "Terrifying" and one "Untamed Wilds" biomes. Beautiful, just beautiful. Native gold all over the  dang place on the mountain, hematite beneath it. No coal, but I have trees. And I plan on slaughtering the elves anyways, so trees won't be an issue. I need to aggravate goblins, though .... So I did some Dwarven Science. Ordered a dwarf out into the "heinous dust" cloud. Waited. And waited. And then the yak, who I'd seen get coated in it earlier, starts flashing. So I say, what the heck? Do I have an extra animal there? While on his page, I accidentally hit Z. He's completely rotten and swollen with his own blood.
So that's what it does. Four dwarves down for a test, plus a yak cow and bull. But I butchered the yaks before the dwarves started dropping. And the doctor .... spends two seconds diagnosing one of them, begins surgery "remove rotten flesh". His patient died while still being operated on. As did the other three. Oh well, it was a test anyways: and now we know, it's lethal. Gruesomely so. Reload save to continue on sans suicide test.
I just needed to know whether or not I had to lock them in. Also discovered a trick of burrows that allowed the dwarves to hop between them in an emergency burrow. (I was migrating the fort to the soil rather than the rock as expansion was taking too long.) That caused the extra dwarf casualties.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47987 on: July 27, 2016, 07:30:00 pm »

Well, I'm sending my now full-strength spearkobold squad to survey the remaining unexplored bits of this cavern layer. This time they made mincemeat off the two troglodytes they encountered, but one of them sustained a bruised...upper spine.

EDIT: The poor bugger died in the caverns, while another has just been slain by a trog. Stupid bolds charge down a narrow passage in pursuit of this things.

EDIT 2: Fuck me, this troglodyte just facekicked a spearkobold to death.

EDIT 3: We lost a total of 5 spearkbolds and one civilian, plus two injured kobolds. And then RIGHT as we clear the troglodyte population, half a dozen more show up. Need to order them to fall back, clean up the mess, and recover a while.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:47:55 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

pabrams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47988 on: July 27, 2016, 08:12:12 pm »

Just learned the hard way that goblins know how to climb, now.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47989 on: July 27, 2016, 08:35:49 pm »

Just learned the hard way that goblins know how to climb, now.

I recall nearly losing a fort when I realized that zombies (pre-nerfing) can clamber out of an arena I mass-pitted them into.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47990 on: July 27, 2016, 08:44:55 pm »

I have sonar'ed my way down to what I believe is the third cavern layer and am ready to breach it.  We don't have enough bricks yet, and I have suspended brick production in order to make upright spike traps in a forgotten beast kill corridor.  Two of my starting 7 are now legendary weaponsmiths.

The mountainhome keeps wanting to make this site a barony and I keep passing it up because I don't feel like carving out noble quarters right now.  My dwarves live in 1-tile bedrooms lined up in a row in the kiln room, and they are ... mostly okay with this arrangement.  The tiny bedrooms mean that it's easy to get couples to interact and produce babies, while it's more of a hassle to arrange for noble children.  No, we'll keep our distance from the homeland for now.

The fort's eldest child is 8 years old, and I intend to have the third cavern conquered by the time he reaches maturity.  Our total population: 36, eight years following the founding.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47991 on: July 27, 2016, 08:55:08 pm »

I recall nearly losing a fort when I realized that zombies (pre-nerfing) can clamber out of an arena I mass-pitted them into.
I lost a non-Bay12 succession fort a month into my turn when zombies climbed right over a one-block dirt wall.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47992 on: July 27, 2016, 09:11:32 pm »

Hell, I lost a kobold camp once from an early dwarven invasion no-selling my wall.

Meanwhile, it's midspring of...second year I think, and even after hitting 50 population I'm not getting any "scouts" from my many enemies.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47993 on: July 27, 2016, 09:51:25 pm »

I want to reiterate: the population of Mansionvipers is 36, and we've just received our second siege.  This was defeated with cage traps, with the only casualty being a dog that had already been wounded by a wererat two years back and was unable to limp into the fortress before the gate was closed.

Well, I hope they brought plenty of copper, because we need copper.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47994 on: July 27, 2016, 10:02:57 pm »

I want to reiterate: the population of Mansionvipers is 36, and we've just received our second siege.  This was defeated with cage traps, with the only casualty being a dog that had already been wounded by a wererat two years back and was unable to limp into the fortress before the gate was closed.

How. How the FUCK. I haven't seen so much as a thief in my last dozen forts.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47995 on: July 27, 2016, 10:08:22 pm »

I have no idea and I wish I did.  The first siege was 11 ranged and 1 snatcher, and the second one about 40 ranged.  I got 13 in the traps and the rest fled.

Isaacc7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47996 on: July 27, 2016, 10:12:11 pm »

Are you near any other civs? Are you at war with any civs? These days armies need to path to your fort so if you're not near anyone you'll never get a seige.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47997 on: July 27, 2016, 10:53:17 pm »

A human bard decided to attack random dwarves for awhile, by the time the military showed up he was pretty much already beaten to death.. I still have no idea why he decided too as none of the other human bards or anyone else is attacking or doing anything else bizarre...

Ralkesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47998 on: July 28, 2016, 12:11:08 am »

Custom racial fortress attempt...

Spent 6+ hours mining and turning into blocks and designating a 60x60 pixel art of my fortress's symbol for the main courtyard that everyone passes through to get to other parts of the fortress with wells, statues and the trade depot surrounding it. Finished everything then the seasonal autosave broke... and only 1/4 of the art was designated :/ built entirely out of marble, gabbro and cobaltite.

It'd be great if my PC could handle massive embark sizes as I'd love to build an above ground city with mutli-courtyards etc.

The symbol of the Micekin fortress of Whitemouse is a mousekin, a wave and a square. The mousekin is in a fetal position.

The first image how it would appear on my citizenry's dyed clothing (character is part of a multiverse I'm writing. Seriously tempted write in my foray into DF with the custom race as a mini-series :p) and the sprite-art created via a sprite generator for minecraft because I couldn't be arsed designating the 211x250 1:1 ration version in DF as awesome as it would be.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A small mouse-like humanoid with a long tail, short silky fur and a twitching nose.  He has a preference for cheese and requires coffee to get through the working day.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47999 on: July 28, 2016, 12:28:37 am »

Are you near any other civs? Are you at war with any civs? These days armies need to path to your fort so if you're not near anyone you'll never get a seige.

I tried to ensure I was within range. I do know it only listed tower and two non-goblin civs as neighbors, but unsure how close. My current mod rather hinders finding a good Fun site, because access to a river/stream is basically mandatory. :V

As for war, dunno. Literally everyone else registers as snatchers or thieves, so...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 3198 3199 [3200] 3201 3202 ... 3842