Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3197 3198 [3199] 3200 3201 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125938 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47970 on: July 26, 2016, 07:58:46 pm »

Picks have a contact area on par with a sword and are pretty much edged too, it was probably the weight of the pick that applied the damage loosely (obsidian or some kind of hoax unnatural non generating stone 'crude stone' made in a workshop would suffice for better edged weapons by applying [CANSTONE] to the object suitable, i discussed a similar thing here in this thread)

If you are poking them with sharpened wooden training spear sticks, the actual material isn't much use and the contact range of 20 probably is doing absolutely nothing in the hands of small weak kobolds.

I suggest making a new host of weapons to arm your kobolds in future (that are also sized down so they can use them 1 handed rather than two handed if appropriate)

For example a small hand pick
Code: [Select]
[DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_HAND_PICK]

I did downsize picks to be kobold-usable, yes. Because they're too small to wield unmodded picks at all, let alone one-handed.

The spears were also stone, having given CAN_STONE to all the weapons they use. I also beefed up the material template for stone, so while obsidian would be better, the rocks they used are at least better than bone. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47971 on: July 26, 2016, 08:01:18 pm »

Interesting - I've been assuming that a dwarf counts as "small target" in http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Syndrome.

And ditto on pick being a damn fine weapon.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #47972 on: July 26, 2016, 08:54:04 pm »

Its not a bug (its a arachnid, har, har), there is no actual detrimental venom effects listed in the code that i supplied which is unchanged GCS raw. It's doing its thing paralysing as it out, but its the bleeding and damage being done BY the biting action that is killing them. The poison effect does not come into play and never has from memory unless it was changed, but that would have been announced by toady in file changes or on the changelog.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I did some testing in 0.34.11, and it seems like you have to inject a lot of venom into a dwarf, around 20 bites, before they get paralysed, and that's the same in 0.43.05. It looks like the wiki was exaggerating, it's actually not that rare to survive GCS bites.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47973 on: July 26, 2016, 09:39:55 pm »

It seems that it at least used to be a bigger problem.
The big thing with paralysis in DF is that a paralyzed creature occasionally forgets to breathe. So a (Even temporary) paralysis-causing bite would often be fatal...especially if the creature is continuing to bite you (Therefore extending the time of paralysis).
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47974 on: July 26, 2016, 09:43:12 pm »

My dwarves are such idiots, then. Though I've seen that sort of behaviour mentioned with food/drink/sleep before (without being melancholy).

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47975 on: July 26, 2016, 11:49:54 pm »

A milk quartz humanoid with poisonous gas arrived.
So we mined it. 20 dwarves surrounding it chipping and fracturing it with their pickaxes.
It breathed gas several times, catching itself in boiling extract each time, but only once did it go near a dwarf. And that guy just blocked it anyway.

Kinda disappointing. I might have to make war with the humans as well. The elves have completely failed to send me any playmates and the goblins suck even with mounts. :(

Another gobbo siege decimated without losses. Had them fleeing in terror pretty much immediately.
Another forgotten beast with deadly spittle arrived, kicked down a door, killed a war dog and a visiting human hammerman before a fisherdwarf exploded it's abdomen with a punch.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 04:51:07 am by Pirate Santa »
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47976 on: July 27, 2016, 05:42:49 am »

Or hell, you should've smoothed and fortifired a viewing window, instead of tunneling into it.

Indeed I should've. Hindsight is 20/20.

And now as promised: the story of Fleshpages:

The expedition for Fleshpages was the third that year. The first had gotten decimated by freakish weather and undead birds before a decent colony could be founded, the second was overrun from the inside when a dwarf expired and rose as an undead. As a result, it wasn't founded until early autumn: not the best time to begin a new fortress.

Fleshpages was founded in the same biome as the second fortress: shallow metal, deep metals, flux stone, trees, water, high savagery and high evil. Sounds decent, right? It really wasn't.

The embark site was a small valley with a brook flowing through. Dozens of trees stood, ready to be cut down. Problem: all were dead. No renewable wood for you!

The dwarves quickly dug a staircase down and began moving their equipment into the underground room. They weren't fast enough: evil rain started coming down, nauseating all of them. Fortunately, worse symptoms didn't emerge, and after a while I had a decent early fortress, with workshops, a dormitory and a dining room.

A few in-game days later, a caravan arrived. The dwarves quickly built a trade depot somewhere underground, and the merchants rushed forward. They never made it: nausea from the rain and an attack of zombie capybara people killed all of them off. The merchants and their animals promptly reanimated, as well as several of the capybaras' body parts. I just ordered all surface material forbidden then.

The fortress continued to grow. Migrants arrived, but the lack of exported wealth meant only two dared travel here. Both made it, fortunately. The outpost liason, who'd escaped the caravan's fate and made it in, wanted to leave and was promptly devoured by a zombie, which I then locked in my airlock. A glance at the civilization screen reveals he's been replaced by a bowyer.

I saw myself forced to slaughter my two yaks and constructed a remote butcher's shop with several cage traps in the only nearby corridor. Sure enough, yak skins and hair rise, but all get either caught in the traps or killed by my militia commander. I find out she likes yaks, so the caged undead are put in the barracks, providing a steady supply of happy thoughts.

The cavern layers are discovered but walled off immediately. Down and down my miners dig, until they arrive at semi-molten rock. There, I decide, a proper fortress shall be built.

I briefly reopen the first cavern layer to get some wood. A giant bat uses the opportunity to wound two of my dwarves, but it flees when a brave planter scratches its nose off. The cave layers are closed again.

The days pass. A few migrants appear, some of which get eaten by undead. One time a ghost rises and is put to rest again. I discover that the 'shallow metal' consists entirely of cassiterite and the 'deep metals' are native silver and galena. My fortress waits for the next caravan, knowing it will spread word of their wealth and get them some non-sucky metals.

A horde of crundles has found its way to my cave entrance and seems insistent on not leaving. Perhaps it has something to do with the one crundle I caught in a cage trap?

The caravan arrives, and even makes it to the trade depot... but my asocial broker angers them (is a profit of 650 seriously not enough guys?) and they leave.

Screw that, I want my steel pick. The doors to the trade room are locked, and I wait for the merchants to go berserk. Some time later accidentally open the doors to the room and sure enough the merchants go berserk at that exact time. Result: a caged merchant, a dead merchant and a dead buffalo. The buffalo reanimates and is killed again, the merchant doesn't raise until he's locked in. The caged merchant is lost when a frightened dwarf drops the cage. It will now spend its remaining days locked in a room with its reanimated friend: serves it well.

The outpost liason who came with the merchants stays for a while, but eventually leaves. Miraculously, he escapes without getting killed or even attacked.

The injuries suffered in the merchant battle force me to briefly open the doors to the surface so people can get water for the wounded. I decide to build a well to avoid having to do so in the future. A 70+ z-level shaft is dug, winding around three cave layers and ending a few feet below the brook. I order two rows of floodgates built, so I can prevent zombies from getting in. I then open both gates and order the shaft's ceiling breached.

Turns out there's a lot of pressure behind 70+ z-levels of water. The rushing tide almost drowns my miner, fills the reservoir in a matter of seconds, and causes my wells to overflow. Only by quickly closing the floodgates is the danger of a flooded fort averted.

I dig yet another shaft, this one to drain the flooded reservoir into the magma sea. The scheme succeeds and the remaining water starts to evaporate. I decide to use the flooded, muddy well room to grow plump helmets and pig tails.

Deep down, a forgotten beast appears. A salt blob with a shell. I leave it be and discover a short time later it's killed all the crundles before being killed itself. Now I have zombie crundles guarding my door: just great. I've also never been more grateful that salt can't reanimate.

In the future, I'm planning to enlarge the reservoir, move my dwarves downstairs, and build a great library to honor the fortress' name. Too bad parchment is so hard to get in a reanimating biome: guess I'll have to rely on pig tails.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47977 on: July 27, 2016, 06:29:06 am »

Derro... Leaving someone caged in a room with their dead zombie friend... HAHHAAHHAA! I can just see that zombie reaching into the cage trying to get at them and the other screaming. The lesson here: NEVER piss off the dwarves of Fleshpages, they wont kill you, oh no, they are not that merciful, they will put you in a cage then drop you off in a room with zombies that will try and eat you, lock the doors and leave you there forever.

Dwarf Fortress: The only game where merchants are tortured in cages by zombies because they refused to buy a -schist goblet-
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:36:55 am by vekar »

HansBr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47978 on: July 27, 2016, 07:22:58 am »

I got a FB. Before I could seal off the cave entrance it got in a fight with a swordmaster and a bard/weaver.
Result: The bard lost an arm. Shrug it off and didn't even go to the hospital after that. The swordmaster did all the stabbing, bard landed one single hit on the beast's head. And got the kill.

I assume bards just have better publicity.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47979 on: July 27, 2016, 08:47:09 am »

Thanks for the nice words, Vekar!

I got a FB. Before I could seal off the cave entrance it got in a fight with a swordmaster and a bard/weaver.
Result: The bard lost an arm. Shrug it off and didn't even go to the hospital after that. The swordmaster did all the stabbing, bard landed one single hit on the beast's head. And got the kill.

I assume bards just have better publicity.

The swordmaster must've been a huge fan.

"Okay, okay, now I'll hit it a few times in the stomach and the pain should distract it enough for you to go for the head, sir! Oh my Armok I'm fighting together with my idol this is too awesome!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47980 on: July 27, 2016, 11:14:00 am »

So, my casualties lingered a bit because apparently people never get evac'd to the nearest bed if yyou lack a hospital. Didn't tat used to be a thing?

Also something that apparently isn't a thing: malpractice. Basically none of the kobolds examining the two injured spearbolds had any diagnosis skill, and I could've sworn my shaman lacked it too. And yet one of them got regular eye cleans and a busted toe fixed up, while the other had their leg and hip patched up, all without any cases of treatment applied to an uninjured part.

Maybe kobolds are just instinctively better doctors than dwarves. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47981 on: July 27, 2016, 11:46:34 am »

Welp A cave crocodile got into the mining tunnel that eventually leads to my fortress because my dwarves all decided NOT to put in the cage traps like I told them too and now two of my miners are torn up and one of those two lost all their limbs....

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47982 on: July 27, 2016, 01:23:21 pm »

Nah, Dragon, dwarves don't do malpractice either. It just takes more time to fix people up if you don't have any skill ranks in relevant skill.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47983 on: July 27, 2016, 01:48:19 pm »

Nah, Dragon, dwarves don't do malpractice either. It just takes more time to fix people up if you don't have any skill ranks in relevant skill.

Toady liiiieeed. ;w;

EDIT: A human pikeman is visiting our kobold tavern. Fitting, since I'd just ordered another round of animals be milked to brew kumis. :V

EDIT 2: Troll splattered a pet dog I pastured outside the cavern entrance, deployed the archers to ventilate it while it was busy bashing down the door. And who do I notice among those that show up afterward, when I open the way to retrieve some arrows?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:14:12 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47984 on: July 27, 2016, 05:24:28 pm »

Don't worry, I'm sure the ability to horribly screw up a medical procedure is coming.

My fort was built in a terrifying biome...and all I get are walking corpses (They don't even reanimate on the map! They just wander on in!). No clouds, no rain effects. At least, not yet.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 3197 3198 [3199] 3200 3201 ... 3842