Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3196 3197 [3198] 3199 3200 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125933 times)

TaigaR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47955 on: July 26, 2016, 11:27:15 am »

I have a fort with hight central 2x2 stairway. Dwarves just dug out the cavern and a troll came out. He ascended to higher floors and was standing on the u\d stairway. He didn't do any harm yet, but I wanted to cage it. Designed to remove stairway and was going to build a cage trap on same tile the troll is standing.

Than, when the stairway was removed, troll just disappeared, as I thought at first. After some searches I realized it fell all the way down through 36 levels and died. :D

Screenshot
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47956 on: July 26, 2016, 02:19:37 pm »

My human fort fell to ruin, a single FB killed everyone, even the legendary squad... A fire breathing rose gold spider, first he'd web them, then burn them.
Wow. Literally the only way it could be worse is if it were steel.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47957 on: July 26, 2016, 02:25:29 pm »

Massive goblin siege ended, decided to send out the infantry for once and just sit back and watch the carnage... Watched it from one z-level ABOVE however... It was like watching red (blood and body parts) and white (teeth, etc) fireworks going off above the fort. Just little explosions every other second of red and white, some were very big bangs others quite small. Some went the distance too! Got a few goblin heads stuck up on the ramparts now.

Ahhhh the beauty of dwarf fortress... Watching goblins explode in gory messes.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47958 on: July 26, 2016, 03:53:33 pm »

Due to a lack of Fun invaders so far, I've opened up the first cavern layer, warded by a series of dog airlocks and glorious hatches. So far the giant bat and giant swallow have yet to regard the occasional web-gatherer as worth picking on.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47959 on: July 26, 2016, 03:54:08 pm »

Remember my last update, where I talked about a dehydrated syndrome-victim locked in the hospital? He died and rose as a zombie. I tried to engrave a slab for him, but apparently he wasn't confirmed dead yet and I couldn't select him.

In my great wisdom, I decided to build a tunnel into the hospital, let a dwarf get one glance at the zombie, then seal it off again. Turns out zombies with all body parts are still pretty fast.

None survived the zombie spiral.

I did start a new fort, which is looking far more promising. Stay tuned for the story of Fleshpages!

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47960 on: July 26, 2016, 04:45:40 pm »

Derro, this is exactly why my hospitals are fitted with arrow slits and multiple air locks, be it were or otherwise I can seal off each room or the whole darn thing and flood the hospital with bolts.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47961 on: July 26, 2016, 05:32:02 pm »

Or hell, you should've smoothed and fortifired a viewing window, instead of tunneling into it.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #47962 on: July 26, 2016, 05:35:35 pm »

I had made steel weapons and helmets for my squad, and even though they were otherwise outfitted with leather and bone, I figured it was safe enough to explore the first cavern layer.

Everything went alright, a group of troglodytes didn't pose much of a threat to my militia, a visiting warrior entertained himself by shooting a giant toad, everyone was in good shape.

Until disaster struck: in an unrevealed corner of the map a giant cave spider showed up. I scrambled to pull my dwarves back, but too late: three of them had spotted the GCS, and vice versa. And even worse: the rest of the squad had gotten separated in the twisty little passages of the cavern or had gone off to get drinks. It was just a hammerdwarf, my militia commander (a talented speardwarf) and another speardwarf, with little hope for reinforcements.

The hammerdwarf was first: he met the GCS in the corner of a corridor, and was immediately webbed and bitten in the foot. He was completely paralysed, lost hold of his hammer and shield, and I gave orders to dig his tomb. I only hoped he would hold out long enough to keep the spider distracted from the other dwarfs.

My militia commander, close behind, was charging through two webs and finally reached the GCS, who had by that time bitten the hammerdwarf's unconscious body four more times, pumping him full of venom.
The commander stabs a spider leg, and pulls the spear back out while the GCS misses what would turn out to be its only chance of a counter hit. The next spear jab goes straight into the brain.

The monster is slain, and I gather the squad to say goodbye from the reckless hammerdwarf, to honor his sacrifice. The tardy warriors stand around the winded, heavily bleeding, unconscious dwarf - who wakes up. The bleeding stops, he works himself out of the web, shakes off the stun - I expect him to keel over every second, but it just doesn't happen. The squad is dismissed, everyone runs off to get drinks. After a while, the hammerdwarf gets up and walks toward the central staircase, leaving his hammer and shield behind. A helpful mechanic meets him half-way and picks him up to carry him to the hospital, but when he sets the hammerdwarf down, he walks out of the hospital on his own.

He is in perfect health and wasn't even scheduled for diagnosis after his brief hospital visit. Only his left foot and upper body are dented, but I'm sure he'll walk it off.

Spoiler: full combat report (click to show/hide)

So... what happened here? I'm sure that he was winded, which means he can't be a vampire, right? Either way, his character page

sounds about right.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47963 on: July 26, 2016, 06:27:48 pm »

Dwarves must have exceptionally strong livers and kidneys to purge all that venom filth out of their system. Unfortnately however, livers in DF dont (yet i guess) handle things like that so there is a alternative explanation.

Poisons are generally tame in DF based off (SIZE_DILUTES), the dwarf was paralysed but not dying as the poison is there to hold them still rather than kill them. The dwarf is already largish, smaller than the GCS but still considerably large, so it suffered one bout of paralysis but the actual intended injury is the GCS biting it repeatedly, if a GCS bit a elephant no less than six times, i doubt it would even feel stiff based off the size of the creature just fizzing out. If it was a smaller animal it would be paralyzed for much longer in even one bite.

Quote from: here's where i get all modding section on you
      [SYNDROME]
         [SYN_NAME:giant cave spider bite]
         [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
         [SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT:ALL]
         [SYN_INJECTED]
         [CE_PARALYSIS:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:5:PEAK:10:END:20]

Ecologically, GCS web are closer to real life spiders in that while they 'hunt' vermin like mog hoppers (in a gamey way, vermin dies on contact with webs from what i know rather than sharing cat vermin hunting) they will act aggressively towards larger creatures but the venom is not intended for them. Its just that the spider is much bigger and could probably handle a crundle sized meal as per standard.

Giant desert scorpion venom is much more deadly because its a just full on syndrome that attacks the body no matter how small a dose that is injected into you

Code: (check out this bad boy, taken from GDS raws) [Select]
[CE_NECROSIS:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:BP:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT:ALL:BP:BY_TYPE:NERVOUS:ALL:START:30:PEAK:60:END:1200]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47964 on: July 26, 2016, 06:44:40 pm »

Yikes. What's his body size? I'd assume disease resistance would play a part as well, but that desc. doesn't mention it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47965 on: July 26, 2016, 06:52:43 pm »

Trooooll, in the cavern! It approaches the entrway, after I've cleared a nice space so my kobold archers have free reign of the approach...

And then a passing miner KOs and brains the shit out of it with a dolomite pick, because it had crawled into the doorway. I can imagine this being a "Move Bitch, Get Out The Way" moment.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47966 on: July 26, 2016, 07:10:48 pm »

The entry passage is completed and trapped, which I believe should deal with any future 12-goblin sieges.  Larger ones?  I'm not sure why I'm getting them at all at my fort's size, but will be enhancing the fort's defenses as dwarfpower allows.  We have only 7 working adults after all.

The well is finished but the hospital is not.  Don't ask me why not; I have no good reasoning.  The farming workshops have seemed more important since the entry passage was finished.  Current project is to get some water wheels built and millstones powered so that I can finally start to grind dye.  I'm sure my procrastination on the hospital will not in any way come back to bite me.

I'm going to make an effort in this fort to skip the first two caverns and go straight for #3.  No guarantees, of course, but the fort is already preparing piles of bricks.  I'm going to want at least a thousand before prospecting deeper, but I have three legendary potters now so brickmaking goes pretty quickly.  I'm not going to wait another 10 years for some kiddos to grow up, either.  We're going to wall off that cavern with 7 dwarves.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47967 on: July 26, 2016, 07:19:35 pm »

So, a fucking troll? Plinked half to death and executed by a lone miner. Send my 4 spearkobolds to hunt a lone troglodyte? One dead, one disarmed, one crippled. And so far only one trog has died, a few others have joined the fray. Sending my archers in to reinforce.

EDIT: Score is now one dead kobold, three wounded kobolds, to three dead trogs.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:26:07 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #47968 on: July 26, 2016, 07:36:02 pm »

Dwarves must have exceptionally strong livers and kidneys to purge all that venom filth out of their system. Unfortnately however, livers in DF dont (yet i guess) handle things like that so there is a alternative explanation.

Poisons are generally tame in DF based off (SIZE_DILUTES), the dwarf was paralysed but not dying as the poison is there to hold them still rather than kill them. The dwarf is already largish, smaller than the GCS but still considerably large, so it suffered one bout of paralysis but the actual intended injury is the GCS biting it repeatedly, if a GCS bit a elephant no less than six times, i doubt it would even feel stiff based off the size of the creature just fizzing out. If it was a smaller animal it would be paralyzed for much longer in even one bite.
[snip...]
Certainly, it depends on size, but I remember GCS bites being absolutely deadly every time in the past, and the wiki backs me up on this.

Testing in the arena, however, it seems that the venom alone can't kill a dwarf at all... or even a rabbit...
Yeah, I think this might warrant a bug report.

Yikes. What's his body size? I'd assume disease resistance would play a part as well, but that desc. doesn't mention it.
Nothing in his description, so I assume he's average-sized.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47969 on: July 26, 2016, 07:42:47 pm »

Picks have a contact area on par with a sword and are pretty much edged too, it was probably the weight of the pick that applied the damage loosely (obsidian or some kind of hoax unnatural non generating stone 'crude stone' made in a workshop would suffice for better edged weapons by applying [CANSTONE] to the object suitable, i discussed a similar thing here in this thread)

If you are poking them with sharpened wooden training spear sticks, the actual material isn't much use and the contact range of 20 probably is doing absolutely nothing in the hands of small weak kobolds.

I suggest making a new host of weapons to arm your kobolds in future (that are also sized down so they can use them 1 handed rather than two handed if appropriate)

For example a small hand pick
Code: [Select]
[DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_HAND_PICK]

[snip...]
Certainly, it depends on size, but I remember GCS bites being absolutely deadly every time in the past, and the wiki backs me up on this.

Testing in the arena, however, it seems that the venom alone can't kill a dwarf at all... or even a rabbit...
Yeah, I think this might warrant a bug report.

Nothing in his description, so I assume he's average-sized.

Its not a bug (its a arachnid, har, har), there is no actual detrimental venom effects listed in the code that i supplied which is unchanged GCS raw. It's doing its thing paralysing as it out, but its the bleeding and damage being done BY the biting action that is killing them. The poison effect does not come into play and never has from memory unless it was changed, but that would have been announced by toady in file changes or on the changelog.
Pages: 1 ... 3196 3197 [3198] 3199 3200 ... 3842