Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3192 3193 [3194] 3195 3196 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126356 times)

Ubrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47895 on: July 22, 2016, 04:48:19 am »

Started a new fortress on a cliff overlooking a confluence, (Which has led to a sizeable coffin stockpile being made) and it was aptly named Diveworked.
It has been six and a half years and the fortress is more or less doing well. I am always terrible at getting a military up and running, so I've taken more casualties from invasions than I'd like.
Almost all of the artifacts I got in the beginning were useless, like a spiked rope made out of alpaca wool, gypsum, leather, carnelian, bauxite, wood with an image of flesh balls in dog bone. I did however get a gold battle axe that I am considering giving to someone just for shits and giggles.
Starting to get magma industry up and running and soon I will start crafting candy armour and weapons.
I've also been visited by a hydra, which I am currently trying to tame, and a cyclops that I am quite uncertain what to do with. I am tempted to either make an arena for it to fight goblins or simply use it as a last resort in case I get overwhelmed at some point.
Also doing everything I can to avoid fps death, and I am currently running between 40-60 fps with 120 dwarves and a tavern that's just a bit too popular.

Edit: Seems a vampire has appeared. And just a single day after the murder a visiting lady consort "witness" is throwing the blame on one of the craftsdwarves that has been here for four years, and the murder took place in a bedroom where visitors never go. Maybe I'll make the cyclops an executioner.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 06:14:13 am by Ubrael »

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47896 on: July 22, 2016, 06:17:01 am »

a cyclops that I am quite uncertain what to do with. I am tempted to either make an arena for it to fight goblins or simply use it as a last resort in case I get overwhelmed at some point.

GCS silk farm bait.

Ubrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47897 on: July 22, 2016, 06:58:02 am »

GCS silk farm bait.

If only I had one. The first cavern is a flooded maze.
I've recently placed some cage traps at the third cavern in order to try to catch something useful, but no luck so far.
Oddly enough, the first cavern spans 90 layers, while the distance between the bottom layer of the first cavern and the bottom layer of the third is only 14 layers, with cavern 2 and 3 being merged in some places.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47898 on: July 22, 2016, 07:11:45 am »

GCS silk farm bait.

If only I had one. The first cavern is a flooded maze.
I've recently placed some cage traps at the third cavern in order to try to catch something useful, but no luck so far.
Oddly enough, the first cavern spans 90 layers, while the distance between the bottom layer of the first cavern and the bottom layer of the third is only 14 layers, with cavern 2 and 3 being merged in some places.

Can always go for a Forgotten Beast silk farm. Just make sure you kill it if you ever decide to retire the fort, or it will likely be destroyed.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47899 on: July 22, 2016, 07:37:15 am »

Deciding I wouldn't let a terrifying biome get the better of me, I created a new, almost completely evil world and embarked.

Note that when I say 'almost completely evil', that's literally what it was. The left half of the continent had a single non-evil area: a mountain range where the world's only dwarven civilization lived (and somehow managed to endure 50+ years next to evil forests, wastelands, and goblinoids). Further to the east was the world's second non-evil area: a plain where the slightly more successful humans fought with another goblin civilization.

I myself embarked in a terrifying freshwater swamp. The first thing I noticed upon arrival: all natural life was dead. The trees were dead. The saplings were dead. The ground plants were dead. The animals were undead. The only living things except for my dwarves and lifestock were a number of vermin.

I immediately dig a hole and start moving stuff down there. An undead weasel interrupts my dwarves once, but it gets killed and things are going pretty well except for that. I finish the initial stockpile and meeting area just in time: a swarm of undead giant flies appears to have entered my lands. Everyone is burrowed underground and the entrance is closed off.

Then I find myself needing some more wood. I got some of the cut down trees moved to my stockpile before the flies arrived, but there's a lot of wood lying outside, waiting to be picked up. Sure, some evil rain has fallen, but how bad can it be? Very bad, as it turns out.

The two dwarves who touched the sludge before I realized my mistake are first overcome by nausea and full-body swelling. The swollen body parts then start to rot. I put the infected in a squad and station them in a corner of the fledgeling fortress, but every once in a while a dwarf or pet passes by and gets a face full of miasma.

As the syndrome develops further, all outside body parts are fractured. In other words, I now have blind (rotten eyes), lame (fractured legs) dwarves who can't even grab things (fractured arms and hands) yet continue to drain my fortress of booze and food. One of them, who seemed to have been affected more severely by the disease, got locked in the hospital. The other may live... for now.

While all this was going on, I was forced to slaughter my two water buffalos. This happened in an isolated room with the door locked, then a long corridor, then another locked door, and finally a solid wall. I ain't taking no chances with zombie skins in my fortress.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #47900 on: July 22, 2016, 08:52:53 am »

While all this was going on, I was forced to slaughter my two water buffalos. This happened in an isolated room with the door locked, then a long corridor, then another locked door, and finally a solid wall. I ain't taking no chances with zombie skins in my fortress.

You're already doing better than me. It took about thirty seconds before I was ogrewhelmed by corpses.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47901 on: July 22, 2016, 12:47:03 pm »

Using CurseKnowledge rules. Year 2 came and we have one labor assigned to our 1st Miner.

The elves came last fall, and we traded some of our mechanisms for food, sheets, and quivers.

With the Year 1 Founders:
1. Carpenter + Architect
2. Mechanic +  Architect
3. Brewer
4. Herbalist
5. Cook + Wood Cutter
6. Broker
7. CMD + Wound Dresser

Pretty much everything is made of logs.  We setup upstairs to wood hatch covers as a means of protection. 

Although the trade depot still do not have any bridge so it is 3-wide open on both ends.

Our miner removes dirt ramps near the wood palisades, and dig some more dirt to give our walls at least 2 wide from the hills.

Half of the region has been clear cut of trees, and plants gathered.  We left a few fruit trees for picking and brew.

Our housing is slow as we do not make dorms, and instead make at houses.  We may start making 2nd floor on each house for separate bedrooms.

We have 1 library with no books, a decent tavern with plenty of booze, and a generic temple.

We are building a tavern outside the city walls to be opened to visitors soon.

We're still under the population cap of 40/60, with 8 kids.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47902 on: July 22, 2016, 09:15:34 pm »

The elven caravan and diplomat dropped by again.  I offered the caravan a wooden bed, and then stole everything they had that I wanted (which wasn't much) per Random_Dragon's suggestion; I honestly hadn't known that that would work.  Then I refused to negotiate another lumber treaty, and caged the diplomat as she was trying to leave.  It took several drops onto the traps before she broke her hand in a fall and passed out into a cage.

Greatercrypts has reached its predetermined population limit of 150.  We're back down to 9500 meat and still falling.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47903 on: July 22, 2016, 09:31:48 pm »

Had sealed off the caverns, which I made a staircase between all three, with a drawbridge, content to watch the beasts do their thangs. Including the forgotten beasts that were busy in a perpetual fight against the nearby wildlife. Two particular offenders was a web-spewing turtle and and massive skinless ape with a taste for blood. Decided to mount up my twenty strong military and route these beasts, as well as anything that annoyed me. Closed the gate behind me too. Then we got a siege, just as the gate slammed closed. I had spent more time making stuff underground and micro-managing my craftdwarves to make a cool crown than I had putting defenses around my fortress, and it showed. The beak dogs were the first to get to us, then the trolls. They rushed straight to the settlement, a troll ripping down the door, and then they swarmed the rooms where dwarves slept and ate. Luckily the duke was rather safe, with his room full of tamed alligators and pair of giant war lions. The miners and woodcutters held out pretty well, and the hunters who were sitting about in the statue garden on the roof began to pick off attackers from a distance. A pack of elephants waltzed into the coming horde of goblins, killing a few before dying. It looked pretty good, the civilians being able to somehow hold their own without the military, but then the goblins got past the front door and the hunters became useless. It became a slaughter. Only two goblins died inside the stronghold, one to a wandering alligator, one to a hunter who stood in a hall shooting away. Underground wasn't going much better either. The skinless ape was an oddly good fighter, pulping arms and legs with punches and dodging most attacks. My artifact-scimitar wielding sword master wasn't doing that good, as a lucky shot to the left upper leg knocked him out in the beginning. Finally, the hammerlord got a good shot in the apes skull, crushing his brains. The military wouldn't be able to get to the civilians, the lever was in the stronghold, which was now the goblin's. We decided to avoid the web spewing turtle. Currently my military, sans a speardwarf, are camped out, eating butchered draltha meat and drinking foraged plump helmet wine. With no access to an anvil, we are trapped here, underground, with a forgotten beast prowling the depths, hunting us, our stronghold filled with goblins and trolls.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47904 on: July 23, 2016, 12:47:54 am »

This lack of enemies continues to be a fucking annoyance. I've yet to have any threat to actually TEST the wiki's theory about hatches being a defense against building destroyers.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47905 on: July 23, 2016, 01:08:57 am »

This lack of enemies continues to be a fucking annoyance. I've yet to have any threat to actually TEST the wiki's theory about hatches being a defense against building destroyers.

Wait, you haven't been fighting people? I've had tons of invasions since 43.xx
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

HansBr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47906 on: July 23, 2016, 02:20:53 am »

I win every fight with goblins, but get slently conquered nontheless.

Edit: I guess my new mayor needs some chains and traction benches and stuff like that in her bedroom.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 02:28:18 am by HansBr »

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47907 on: July 23, 2016, 03:10:26 am »

The elves failed to show this spring, and the autumn liaison brought no news of conquests. With any luck this means I've successfully provoked them and a siege is on its way now I've finally hit 80.
Skullmines has also been offered a barony which I've awarded to my founding Administrator.
My first squad of skullminers are becoming very skilled, I just need something to pit them against.
We need to dig deeper.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47908 on: July 23, 2016, 07:39:45 am »

A 60 strong goblin siege showed up, my army defeated them, but at the cost of four dwarfs(my current fortress's lack of mining means that i am not capable of covering my military in full steel armour like i normally do. A few months later the king showed up with a massive migration wave, all up i now have 270 odd dwarfs, and still little booze.

Given that my fortress is not allowed to farm and i now only have the dwarven caravan to rely on, since i killed off the last human caravan and embark screen said i was at war with the elves(though they have not showed up yet), i think its only a matter of time before my fortress blows up, one way or another.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47909 on: July 23, 2016, 09:40:55 am »

Elves prefer to ambush ([AMBUSHER TOKEN)], so they might already be on a distant part of your site with their horrible cascades of archers and giant beasts (might be good to prepare for ANY animal eventuality) without even being seen or announced until it is too late.
Pages: 1 ... 3192 3193 [3194] 3195 3196 ... 3842