Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3186 3187 [3188] 3189 3190 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126661 times)

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47805 on: July 09, 2016, 05:21:45 pm »

Honestly your titans aren't underwhelming. The really underwhelming beasties are the ones that get themselves killed by falling or die to local wildlife.

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #47806 on: July 09, 2016, 11:13:50 pm »

I recently contained a werebeast plague that started from a single human weregecko by replacing the door to the hospital with iron bars after the attack, then digging fortifications into the whole front wall. I had about 12 injured dwarves in there, but when they turned, it turned out only 7 were actually infected. Oh well. I'm sure the five clean guys understand.
Anyways, once the dwarves had turned, I called in my dwarf firing squad, and they took care of the werebeasts once they had turned back into dwarves. I feel accomplished.
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #47807 on: July 10, 2016, 06:53:19 am »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47808 on: July 11, 2016, 08:15:30 am »

Interesting... did you know that a severed and reanimated head could have a whole skeleton inside it which it barfs out when touching magma? I don't know how that's possible but apparently they do.

I was trying to get rid of some reanimated and caged troll heads I had lying around since the last civilian combat training project (don't ask) and decided to pit them all into a convenient magma hole I had near my forges. No problems then, standard housekeeping etc. right?

Well, no. The moment a head would splash into magma it would spit out a "mangled partial troll skeleton". Skeletons literally flew out in an arc and landed on the floor trailing troll blood. Sadly, the newly created skeletons seemed to be too damaged to be re-reanimated.

Also, the undead parts didn't seem to mind magma at all. They might smoke a bit but still wouldn't die... until someone or -thing attacked them, after which they vanished instantly. I had to send a squad to poke into magma a bit to get completely rid of the troublesome heads.

What's more, some severed heads seemed to grow out a full body while in the magma bath. Attacks would hit the "troll head lower body" or "troll head left hand" according to combat reports, even when the parts were missing according to the creature status screen.

I'm happy I still haven't stopped being amazed by the complexity of DF bugs. This was a thing of beauty.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:38:48 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47809 on: July 11, 2016, 09:02:49 am »

In the Duchy of Showerblockades nothing exciting is happening. The newly constructed library is fully stocked,a scholar is contemplating pulleys, the militia(which i just noticed contains the duke as well as the queen and her consort) is training, the stones have all been piled, and the citizenry spend the vast majority of their time in the meeting places because I don't have much in the way of work for them. Where the hell are the goblins? We haven't seen any since we moved in.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47810 on: July 11, 2016, 08:40:44 pm »

Greatercrypts was briefly ported over to the new PyLNP .43.03 version, until I noticed that very-threatening "items" entry at the bottom of the stocks list.  So we're still on .42.06 for now.

Our fourth melee squad is three-quarters filled, and we have three marksdwarves-in-waiting (waiting, that is, for a full squad before training starts).  There are still 40 children in the fort, and we haven't yet reached the designated population cap of 150, so it's only a matter of time before we have a full marksdwarf squad.  It's okay; history is long.

I deployed the orchard for the first time this past summer, and even with almost-untrained herbalists it produced hundreds of fruit.  The orchard is turned off again for now, and will be until all this fruit is brewed into fruity wines.  I don't know how good persimmon wine could possibly be, but multiple dwarves are really into it.  IMHO blackberry wine is far better than any other fruit wine, and dwarves will eat raw eyeballs so their tastes can't be trusted.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47811 on: July 12, 2016, 10:44:27 am »

With Swordscradle's first military squad ranking between Master and Legendary, I've started training a second squad that will also serve as the city guard. So far, they're between Novice and Adequate: I have a long way to go.

I also built a panic room filled with beds, a temple, a hospital, some nice workshops and a future burial room in case the fortress gets overrun. The rooms are next to the reservoir, so in case of emergency I can breach the reservoir's upper layers, irrigate an empty room, then build a farm plot.

The reason I built this panic room? I'm about the breach the first cave layer. I haven't seen anything more dangerous than a draltha yet, but better safe than sorry.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47812 on: July 12, 2016, 03:28:02 pm »

With Swordscradle's first military squad ranking between Master and Legendary, I've started training a second squad that will also serve as the city guard. So far, they're between Novice and Adequate: I have a long way to go.

If you mix the squads so they train together the veterans will train the newbies up to snuff significantly quicker than the newbies would train each other.

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47813 on: July 13, 2016, 08:08:18 am »

Divinearches has just undergone its most deadly siege ever: 220 goblins, 220 beak dogs and 40 trolls. The Old Guard, a squad existing in its current state for most of Divinearches' 12 year-long history, comprised of 7 hardened Dwarf Lords with hundreds of kills amongst them, including several forgotten beasts, semi-megabeasts, were-beasts and titans, is the first to go out, surrounded by a screaming horde of 120 goblins. They are slain, one after the other, overcome by exhaustion in the midst of glorious carnage. The horde advances: they are met on the Iron Bridge by the Aspiring Ones, three warriors of lesser renown but still of legendary status, and Nabasrovod's Spears, the fortresses' newly founded militia, led by the ex-Old Guard's Spearlord. Many goblins prefer to jump into the void instead of facing the wrath of the dwarves, inflamed by the death of their champions. Sadly, some recruits jump after them and shatter their legs amongst the corpse-strewn floor 15 levels below. The enemy's attack gains new momentum when the trolls hit the shieldwall, with flanking beak dogs: as before, one by one, each hero is overcome by exhaustion and becomes easy prey for the enemy. The last defenders, the crossbow armed Iron Guard, pick off the remaining enemies, who turn and flee, but not before destroying as much as possible, turning the windmill towers into a mound of ruins. One dwarf remains standing when the last of the enemy disappears over the horizon, the Iron Guard captain. But he cannot rest yet: just as the alarm ceases and the mourners emerge, something happens in the inner fortress: two dwarves, previously infected by werebeasts, transform into werecoyotes. The one in the corridor is quickly overwhelmed by the terrified workers, but the one in the temple slays 10 before dying of blood loss.
And now, with its army and two thirds of its population gone, Divinearches looks at the nine feverish and bite-covered dwarves in its infirmary and broods on what to do next...

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #47814 on: July 13, 2016, 11:51:25 am »

I'd watch that movie.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47815 on: July 13, 2016, 02:20:51 pm »

A forgotten beast came up from below.  A giant spider.  It proceeds to kill my military with ruthless efficiency (I think 80% of it's attacks were instantly lethal headshots).

Then it goes into the dorms where a number of children are playing make believe.  Clearly they were playing make beleive as an elite adventurer troupe because they dogpiled that thing and beat it to a pulp.  Pretty much literally.  Then went back to playing make believe.

When people always told me about the power of imagination I didn't think they meant it quite like that.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47816 on: July 13, 2016, 02:23:06 pm »

Your dorfs were playing adventure mode, clearly. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47817 on: July 13, 2016, 03:03:53 pm »

IT was defeated.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47818 on: July 13, 2016, 05:43:21 pm »

IT was defeated.

They all float down here, Urist.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47819 on: July 14, 2016, 02:36:10 am »

How big is a giant spider?
I ask because it slew the military with "80% headshots".
Dwarf children are smaller than adults.
Maybe in groups they are the dwarven equivalent of undead hair?

Goatmaan

Side note: has anyone tried using the smallest war trainable animals against undead hair?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 02:43:47 am by Goatmaan »
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.
Pages: 1 ... 3186 3187 [3188] 3189 3190 ... 3842