Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3185 3186 [3187] 3188 3189 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126846 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47790 on: July 07, 2016, 11:50:57 am »

I generated a medium world with 80 civs for a little over a thousand years, then picked a few figures and books at random. This was the only notable writing, I've never seen a book with masterful writing, and that it's about social welfare with a red cover? I wouldn't be surprised if Thilu went and overthrew a moderately sized civilization in a few years here.

Also of note, many of the original population haven't died yet, as the first tower spawned sometime in the first century before FPS-slow-down and over a dozen mortals joined up with that before going off and starting their own things. Also, the world hasn't left the Age of Myth so there's probably some insanely dangerous megabeasts that have had 1000 years to sharpen their murdering skills.

So ancient dragons that probably watched the beginning an end of a few empires, necromancer warlords that have ruled over small fiefdoms for over 800 years, an impending communist elf uprising... Planets of Portent might just be the greatest setting I've ever seen.

I'm gonna build a giant statue of a bumble-bee god.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:53:28 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47791 on: July 07, 2016, 11:56:56 am »

You've got a problem, buddy: That book was written by an elf. Communist elf hippies incoming.
You'd better set up the (Wooden, of course) guillotines, because you've got a revolution coming.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47792 on: July 07, 2016, 01:30:24 pm »

Nah, it's too late.

I mean, way too late. It's already happened and buried.

Economy was retired on 10th April 2010.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47793 on: July 07, 2016, 02:48:37 pm »

Exactly. Forts have always been something out of Karl Marx's wet dreams. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47794 on: July 07, 2016, 03:19:15 pm »

Fairly sure Marx never visualized a hellscape filled with burning elves, slaughtered cats, collapsing tunnels and released demons.

Then again, he may have.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47795 on: July 07, 2016, 03:21:54 pm »

Fairly sure Marx never visualized a hellscape filled with burning elves, slaughtered cats, collapsing tunnels and released demons.

Then again, he may have.

Down with the dwarf mandate giving bourgeoisie!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #47796 on: July 07, 2016, 04:18:08 pm »

So a dug out hole in the ground with the stink of dead bodies and misery, a scorched countryside surrounding it, and a bunch of obstructive, lazy bureaucrats ruling over everything and demanding stuff, even if it's pointless or impossible to create with the given materials?

Seems about right.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47797 on: July 07, 2016, 04:22:56 pm »

Okay, minus the annoying nobles maybe. You gotta have magma though, regardless of whether or not you're communist. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47798 on: July 07, 2016, 07:43:44 pm »

Things are quiet in Greatercrypts.  We're almost to the fort's 35th anniversary, population 125, and all the major work is done.  We've reached expert training knowledge for most of the undesirable animals, and either slaughtered or traded away the surplus.  All of the desirable animals have stable populations, maintained mostly in cages.  We've reached maximum dragon population, and have enough food that there is no need for eggs at the moment; I'm (very carefully!) caging up the dragons.

The fort has a lot of areas that are dug out of clay or loam, and consequently a lot of unsightly brown dead plants in places other than pastures.  I'm training up two more potters by having them bake enough bricks to tidy up these areas.  This requires a large number of bricks, and I expect them to be legendary potters long before the fort is neatened.

We're down to a mere 9300 units of meat.

Kretus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47799 on: July 08, 2016, 12:55:39 am »

So I've been randomly finding dead pets and dead tame animals around my fortress. Some kittens were even decapitated without me knowing until I was told that the animal was found dead. It took me a while to realize that I could use the combat logs to check what happened.

For some reason my dwarves have been randomly assaulting their own animals and I have no clue why. Another fight broke out in the dining hall and it looks like we're about to lose a goat kid and a donkey foal. Someone in the room is taking potshots at the animals from a distance with his crossbow. Can anyone explain?
EDIT: I've had two dwarves bleed to death because people keep trying to kill some mossrova child from the ZM5 modpack that ends up pulping their limbs with a kick somehow. Someone help.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:25:28 am by Kretus »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47800 on: July 08, 2016, 02:36:08 am »

That seems like maybe a bug. Or a loyalty cascade, those are fun.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #47801 on: July 08, 2016, 03:29:06 am »

So I've been randomly finding dead pets and dead tame animals around my fortress. Some kittens were even decapitated without me knowing until I was told that the animal was found dead. It took me a while to realize that I could use the combat logs to check what happened.

For some reason my dwarves have been randomly assaulting their own animals and I have no clue why. Another fight broke out in the dining hall and it looks like we're about to lose a goat kid and a donkey foal. Someone in the room is taking potshots at the animals from a distance with his crossbow. Can anyone explain?
EDIT: I've had two dwarves bleed to death because people keep trying to kill some mossrova child from the ZM5 modpack that ends up pulping their limbs with a kick somehow. Someone help.
You should probably forbid all meat you get from mossrovas with the manager's menu - they can cause syndromes like bleeding from the eyes or making a creature crazed and causing it to attack everything (doesn't quite work as it was supposed to, was hoping they'd just attack anyone, but it seems they only aggro when seeing animals, even pets.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47802 on: July 08, 2016, 04:24:50 am »

Well... that happened.

I opened the fortress door to allow my soldiers to go kill some titan. The moment I did so, a couple dwarves ran out and started gathering wood. I immediately activated burrows, but they refused to listen.

The titan, who up until that point had been wrecking my garbage disposal chute's hatches, ran towards one of them, a simple woodcutter.

The woodcutter swung his silver battle axe in desparation... and hit. He then dodged the monster's strike, and hit again. And again. Even when the woodcutter got poisoned, lost a hand, or got smacked in the upper body by a giant paw did he keep fighting. Slowly but steadily, the titan accumulated more wounds.

Finally, the woodcutter was struck down, and the now-frenzied titan slaughtered two more of the dwarves who had ventured outside. The monster turned towards my militia, charged... and died of blood loss about thirty feet away from them.

The woodcutter and his hand were given an engraved tomb decorated with golden statues of his victory. He won't be forgotten.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #47803 on: July 08, 2016, 06:23:05 am »

The woodcutter and his hand were given an engraved tomb decorated with golden statues of his victory. He won't be forgotten.
I choose to interpret this as you made a seperate tomb for his severed hand.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47804 on: July 09, 2016, 04:32:08 am »

I choose to interpret this as you made a seperate tomb for his severed hand.

I would've if the game let me.

Anyway, I got another titan: a giant quadruped with two short tails and a regal bearing... made out of snow. I sent in my squad of novice/dabbling dwarves to take care of it. Then a lye maker walked up to the titan and took it out with two punches and a bite. I should rename my fort into 'Meeting Place of Underwhelming Titans'.
Pages: 1 ... 3185 3186 [3187] 3188 3189 ... 3842