Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3182 3183 [3184] 3185 3186 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127115 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47745 on: June 28, 2016, 05:03:59 am »

Breached the circus. Flying clowns are actively avoiding my legendary squads by a ~20 tile radius. They won't attack unless they have sufficient numbers.

It seems demon fire got buffed along with dragonfire, so all my ☼iron menacing spike traps☼ melted. Mechanisms were orthoclase and obsidian.

Completing the stairwell to the circus floor leads to FPS murder. Going to need an airlock.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47746 on: June 28, 2016, 05:32:18 am »

Remember my awesome lesbian militia commander? I sent her to kill another water buffalo. At first, she did some heavy damage against the beast, breaking two legs and knocking it down, but then a well-placed kick shattered her left hip. She killed the buffalo despite her wounds (truly a trooper) then collapsed and got hauled to the hospital.

I now no longer have an awesome hammerdwarf. Even if she recovers, she'll probably be walking around with a crutch all her life. Guess I'll start looking for a replacement...

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47747 on: June 28, 2016, 06:08:02 am »

Three z-levels of orchard wall are completed.  We have two tame jabberer chicks, as well as more bugbats and crundles than you can shake a stick at.  The bugbats and crundles are in two pastures, and even though the pastures are pretty sizable, there is more fighting than I ever saw in the last version.  It seems that animals are still tetchy about sharing tiles, but are far less inclined to move away from one another than they used to be.  Whenever an animal trainer arrives to touch up their training, they crowd around her, and stay in that crowd indefinitely afterward until they get so annoyed with one another they start battling it out.  The last free-for-all resulted in three dead crundles and one dead bugbat, and while I'm not exactly crying about that, it's weird and I don't know why it's happening.  I don't know why they don't just move to stop sharing tiles after the trainer leaves.

My more valuable animals are on restraints to keep them from crowding one another, but I don't have 200 ropes and I don't want to make 200 ropes so the crundles and bugbats are just going to have to deal.

One of the military squads has become sufficiently legendary that I put them on a two months off/one month on schedule to give them some time to socialize and help the fort with tasks.  These dwarves are super-bad at taking care of their needs.  One of them is unhappy about not socializing, not praying, not partying, not spending time with family ... and he spends 100% of his off-hours in the library reading the fort's collection, the doofus.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #47748 on: June 28, 2016, 12:17:23 pm »

Lost a fort in the silliest way possible.

Had a biome with an EXTREMELY short melt.  Like, two weeks in mid-summer and done.

Accidentally breached a murky pool before I knew the biome would melt at all.  Ice melts, sprays water everywhere, 1/7 water tiles become full ice tiles, miner is encased.

That death, plus a couple others, made immigrants not show up, so I couldn't mine the new ice out fast enough.  Next year, same thing happened, but moreso.  Fort was actually going pretty well in every other regard...  except that it was being slowly consumed by ice.

I never expected to list 'glacial motion' on a fort's death certificate.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47749 on: June 28, 2016, 12:20:36 pm »

It seems demon fire got buffed along with dragonfire, so all my ☼iron menacing spike traps☼ melted. Mechanisms were orthoclase and obsidian.

You poor thing. Fire demons have always been pretty hot. I assume their temps might vary, but at the very least I had a long-running DF2012 fort ruined thanks to fire demons, body heat, and a raised ADAMANTINE drawbridge that was facing the wrong way.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47750 on: June 28, 2016, 12:21:31 pm »

Remember my awesome lesbian militia commander? I sent her to kill another water buffalo. At first, she did some heavy damage against the beast, breaking two legs and knocking it down, but then a well-placed kick shattered her left hip. She killed the buffalo despite her wounds (truly a trooper) then collapsed and got hauled to the hospital.

I now no longer have an awesome hammerdwarf. Even if she recovers, she'll probably be walking around with a crutch all her life. Guess I'll start looking for a replacement...
I don't see how walking around with a crutch prevents her from being an awesome hammerdwarf. Once they get enough skill in Crutch-walking, they move just as fast as they ever did, along with carrying a new blunt object around with which to bludgeon enemies. Win-win! There's a reason I only stock my hospital with lead crutches, after all.

In my own fortress, I successfully acquired a greater badgerwoman citizen (FD) for the first time! Visiting performance troupe included a Greater Badgerwoman Dancer, and finally petitioned for citizenship. Shame she's a bit beat up from that weregecko, and refusing to visit the hospital. Still, dancing badgerwoman citizen!

I also discovered that a room that fills with water due to pressure effects may not actually drain as expected. I've got a fishing chamber set up in the third cavern layer, with access to a cavern lake via grate. I abandoned it and sealed it off years ago after discovering I have aquifer turtles, but a recent plumbing accident led to flooding a good chunk of the third cavern layer with pressurized pumped water from my aquifer 100 Z-levels above. The fishing room filled, of course, and I did accomplish my objective of obsidianizing the magma sea around an adamantine spire, but the room now refuses to drain. The only access is via a trio of grates that open to the now-reflooded cavern lake. Lake level has mostly returned to normal (single layer of 7/7 water) after draining off the edge, but there's still a lot of stray 1/7s floating around on the level above, and the fishing room remains full of 7/7 water with no sign of drainage. Does this mean that floor grates are capable of interfering with water pressure under certain conditions?

Finally, I just managed to capture a gremlin for the first time via lever-activated cave-in trap. Time to see if I can make it useful in some way...

Oh, and I have a tree in my first cavern layer that is home to five live Dralthas and seven draltha skeletons. I'm not sure why they keep appearing up there, and then dying, but I can't reach them because the tree is growing in a cavern-edge lake.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:26:07 pm by YetAnotherLurker »

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47751 on: June 28, 2016, 01:24:00 pm »

I don't see how walking around with a crutch prevents her from being an awesome hammerdwarf. Once they get enough skill in Crutch-walking, they move just as fast as they ever did, along with carrying a new blunt object around with which to bludgeon enemies. Win-win! There's a reason I only stock my hospital with lead crutches, after all.

In my own fortress, I successfully acquired a greater badgerwoman citizen (FD) for the first time! Visiting performance troupe included a Greater Badgerwoman Dancer, and finally petitioned for citizenship. Shame she's a bit beat up from that weregecko, and refusing to visit the hospital. Still, dancing badgerwoman citizen!

I also discovered that a room that fills with water due to pressure effects may not actually drain as expected. I've got a fishing chamber set up in the third cavern layer, with access to a cavern lake via grate. I abandoned it and sealed it off years ago after discovering I have aquifer turtles, but a recent plumbing accident led to flooding a good chunk of the third cavern layer with pressurized pumped water from my aquifer 100 Z-levels above. The fishing room filled, of course, and I did accomplish my objective of obsidianizing the magma sea around an adamantine spire, but the room now refuses to drain. The only access is via a trio of grates that open to the now-reflooded cavern lake. Lake level has mostly returned to normal (single layer of 7/7 water) after draining off the edge, but there's still a lot of stray 1/7s floating around on the level above, and the fishing room remains full of 7/7 water with no sign of drainage. Does this mean that floor grates are capable of interfering with water pressure under certain conditions?

Finally, I just managed to capture a gremlin for the first time via lever-activated cave-in trap. Time to see if I can make it useful in some way...

Oh, and I have a tree in my first cavern layer that is home to five live Dralthas and seven draltha skeletons. I'm not sure why they keep appearing up there, and then dying, but I can't reach them because the tree is growing in a cavern-edge lake.

Wouldn't a crutch take up one hand?

And I'd watch out with that gremlin: I've heard tales of tamed gremlins becoming mayor. They'll also start hunting for creatures if allowed to do so, I believe, due to naturally having ambusher ranks.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47752 on: June 28, 2016, 06:23:51 pm »

Made access to the caverns and quickly assaulted by a forgotten beast. I manages to seal off the passage and the beast was stuck.

Now, along come a trio of witch lights, floating disembodied souls that can do nothing but suck the blood of the living, and they manage to kill it. Because one of them brained it, no less.somehow he cavern was set on fire in the meantime, but I still got the corpse to butcher.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47753 on: June 28, 2016, 08:44:28 pm »

Making rooms fit for a queen is proving to be quite the doings.

The Liaison has arrived with news! The new queen is my speardwarf who yadda yadda yadda... My previous fort was conquered by goblins. Possibly because over half the militia relocated to here.

3 years in, no sign of goblin invasion here yet but we'll be ready when they come. In the mean time the Queen continues to demand shields and bolts, the militia is training, the farmers are farming, the engraver is smoothing, the armorers are busy in the forges, and everybody else is busy doing what they do, which is usually dance/socialize/pray/meditate/etc.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47754 on: June 28, 2016, 09:17:01 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!  But while most of my military was out at the gate chewing through a couple of goblin squads, something was happening back in the kitchen.  Two humans, the bodyguards of the guild representative from the Confederacy of Weight, decided that a siege meant that it was okay to pick on a kid.  One of the master lashers had gone back to get provisions prior to the engagement at the gate, and staged an intervention and stepped in between the child and the humans.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The kid who was attacked is fine.  He is the son of the militia commander, so I'm super happy nothing happened to him.

I am more than a little  :o  at the mechanics of this, though.  Why did they turn hostile?  They were nowhere near the fighting, and this isn't the first time I've had a siege with the guild rep in-house.  It kind of reminds me of that megabeast loyalty problem, and the way it is only a problem when active military is in sight.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47755 on: June 28, 2016, 10:28:10 pm »

43.03 supposedly had a bugfix for "tavern-goes join siegers over petty slights". If you're running earlier, there you go. If you're running that or later, well...Sounds like the bugfix wasn't successful.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47756 on: June 29, 2016, 03:40:37 am »

I started a new fortress in a megabeast-heavy world. Dwarves are all but dead: only a single hillock hasn't been destroyed by the monsters yet. I embarked in a savage desert and immediately got two 'you discovered a lair' messages. Great. The fortress name? 'Savagehandle' (CAN YOU HANDLE THE SAVAGERY?).

Lair number one was completely empty. Lair number two made up for that by containing both a dragon and a hydra. They fortunately didn't leave their lairs while I hurriedly moved my dwarves into a hastily dug room.

After some digging, I now have a food preparation level, a habitation+workshop level, and several holes dug into an aquifer for water. No metal so far, though.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47757 on: June 29, 2016, 05:43:05 am »

43.03 supposedly had a bugfix for "tavern-goes join siegers over petty slights". If you're running earlier, there you go. If you're running that or later, well...Sounds like the bugfix wasn't successful.

I am running .42.06 so I can't say anything about the status of the bug.  It's a weird bug, though.  If it is fixed in later versions, maybe the megabeast loyalty thing is also fixed, which would be awesome.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47758 on: June 29, 2016, 10:24:48 am »

Undead invasion... including an alive plump helmet man (yes, I understand his motivation) on my cozy, no metal, no riches glacier embark. They really want to kill the last independent dwarves. (And regardless of my settings the invasion happens with me only at 12 dwarves, though one declared queen a while ago.) Sadly the queen build the wall to save the fort from the wrong side, but I managed to sneak her in by a tunnel she had to build herself, and the undead did not notice her in the snowstorm, hope the necromancer did not sneak in with her.

Tons of challenges... no surface access, no metal apart from three picks, no ore, did bring nothing but the picks and an anvil on embark.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47759 on: June 29, 2016, 10:34:18 am »

Tons of challenges... no surface access, no metal apart from three picks, no ore, did bring nothing but the picks and an anvil on embark.

Ouch. Maybe melt down a pick, use the metal to forge an axe, use the axe to chop down some trees (even if there's no water the third cavern layer should have blood thorns)? You can then use the trees to create a long array of cage traps without needing metal. Either that, or go straight for the adamantine.

I fear for your safety if a FB shows up, though.
Pages: 1 ... 3182 3183 [3184] 3185 3186 ... 3842