Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3180 3181 [3182] 3183 3184 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127234 times)

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47715 on: June 25, 2016, 12:12:26 pm »

Started a new fortress since the old one was looking complete and this world is kinda dead.

The main shaft is in a pocket in the aquifer, we have room for a few bedrooms, farms, and workshops but my next set of digging will be a double slit, either through the rest of the aquifer or in a different spot to punch through the whole thing. The dining hall is under construction a level above the entry and surface, fortunately this embark has plenty of wood.

A legendary cook from the previous fort arrived. On the way over his leg sorta grew back but he died from blood loss as a result.

MasterOfLazdumat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47716 on: June 25, 2016, 05:12:39 pm »

One of the most underwhelming sieges of all time arrived at Puzzlingcrafts, consisting of five goblin crossbowmen and three goblin bowmen. It was so feeble that if I didn't know better, I'd think it was a group of defecting or refugee goblins. Five of the group head immediately for the one open entry, while the others loiter around the edge of the map. As the five draw near the entrance, one gets clobbered by a weapons trap and the rest immediately pull up. At this time, Puzzlingcrafts's militia arrive on the scene. Usually, they are only too willing to attack any enemy visible at practically any distance, but this time they just stand there. There is no cover, no walls, no trees, just roughly thirty tiles of open field. The goblins, all armed with projectile weapons, offer token fire. The marksdwarves, all Legendary, themselves put up token return fire. The melee dwarves do not charge even after kill orders are issued, except for the swordmaster Kogsak Zimnish who goes into a martial trance, runs across the open field, and slaughters the waiting goblins with a series of artful decapitations (except for one poor sap who seems to have gotten on her mean side; I didn't know you could explode someone's eyeball by slapping with the flat of the sword, but after that kicking the guy in the same eye just seems like overkill). With no goblin backup on the horizon, the squads are then ordered to engage the lurkers at the edge of the map. They dutifully begin, except for Kogsak, who seems temporarily overwhelmed about the whole thing and just stands there, although she does eventually recover with enough time to spare to behead yet another suspiciously inert goblin bowman. Like I said, if I didn't know better, I'd think these goblins were trying to surrender, which would explain why they were so few and so inept, and why the militia hesitated.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47717 on: June 25, 2016, 07:34:03 pm »

Stonegate news:
 - Work on the Gatehouse is going well. I've designated the food and drink stockpiles and built the archery ranges. Now I'm making the rooftop barracks.
 - I'm building a new depot, complete with finished goods stockpile.
 - Many babies! Giant impala fauns, naked mole puppies, giant aardvark cubs, giant lion cubs, and full-grown giant rattlesnakes. That last thing has been fixed.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47718 on: June 25, 2016, 08:28:55 pm »

We dug down to both the second and third cavern layers, and sealed off both.  A colony of bugbats has set up in the second one, and I don't have any marksdwarves yet so I have few options for dealing with them.  I may open up the cavern for a while just to get them to vacate it, although I have no plans to collect critters from that cavern purposefully.

The third cavern, however, still needs some cage traps, but should be ready for wildlife collection soon.  Our next project is to create an enclosed orchard, but that can wait.  The fort just spent almost two years in the caverns working frantically, and the dwarves have earned a little time to socialize.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47719 on: June 26, 2016, 01:24:57 am »

Stonecastle now has a set of RHINOCEROS PEOPLE. Should I make animal men tamable? Can you imagine rhino men charging into battle, supported by peregrine falcon man crossbowmen?
One of my dreams when I discovered DF was a multiracial fort. The Count would have been a Tigerman, and would have had a village on the surface to deal with ambushers. The Baron would have been a Cave Swallowman, and his people would have provided security in the caverns. The Duke would have managed trade near the surface, and the King would have had a palace by the magma forges.

I think Toady's a couple releases from letting me play that dream.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47720 on: June 26, 2016, 04:43:18 am »

I had this message pop up in my fortress and I wanted to see if it was a hunter or militia:

As it turns out, the dwarf was having a nap on the ground with the crossbow. I'd like to imagine she was holding onto it like a teddy.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47721 on: June 26, 2016, 05:59:51 am »

Paperslide has continued to grow and prosper, far beyond the expectations of the Purple Manor.  It is now home to over 120 citizens with its own baron.  Despite our ongoing low-intensity conflict with our angry green neighbors the Barbarity of Dying, the fort is worth millions of Urists.  I must say, though, I am becoming... concerned... about the character of my citizens.  I will quote from the report from our chancellor there, Kulet Zulbanrimtar:

"The old trade depot was a workmanlike affair of carved rock salt, set up in the earliest days of Paperslide.  Hard to believe that my friend Mason Sibrekatek was once so unskilled!  Nevertheless, the time had come for it to be retired.  The newer depot is made of solid silver with a gemstone canopy, surrounded at the four corners with clear glass statues of Orrun the Confident Nourishment.  We upon the council thought that as deity of trade, fortresses, and so forth, Orrun could perhaps extend his kindly influence over our traders as they dealt with the far-flung produce of the Northern corners of the world.

Imagine our shock when the pieces were brought up from the furnace!  Each of them depicted Orrun in some form of conversation with a demonic being, things unfamiliar even to our best scholars.   The glassmaker was unable or unwilling to reveal how he gained knowledge of 'Leafyhex the Fell of Simplicity the monitor devil', 'Snuslu the iguana brute', 'Ransackstrikes the Song of Visionaries the squirrel fiend', or 'Kulur the Cave of Sins the wombat demon', or even if these beings exist at all!  What a thing to show our trading partners!  Although he is widely respected, we have requested a month in a cell for the glassmaker due to his defiant attitude and clear desire to harm the fort."

PS: The engravers also seem to be in a grudge match with me, the actual overseer, since at least half the engravings in the fort are of the previous fort ending up as refugees... despite them being from an entirely different civilization.  WTF.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:02:13 am by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47722 on: June 26, 2016, 06:42:16 am »

The gorlak cave embark didn't go as planned, so I re-embarked on a new cave. Legends mode led me to believe it was populated by kobolds. Legends mode turned out to be a filthy liar.

Still, the fortress is quite prosperous already. The first few rooms were carved out in the stone pillar, but most of their contents were moved down to the expanded caves after. The upper layers are now farms.

I also built a small temple decorated with statues of the three deities currently worshipped in the fort. One of them is a deity hugging a dwarf: surprisingly tender, until you realize the deity is the goddess of death, war, fortresses, jewels and metals, and the dwarf is a necromancer.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #47723 on: June 26, 2016, 06:59:57 am »

I had this message pop up in my fortress and I wanted to see if it was a hunter or militia:

As it turns out, the dwarf was having a nap on the ground with the crossbow. I'd like to imagine she was holding onto it like a teddy.
"This is my crossbow. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47724 on: June 26, 2016, 08:59:53 am »

Stonecastle now has a set of RHINOCEROS PEOPLE. Should I make animal men tamable? Can you imagine rhino men charging into battle, supported by peregrine falcon man crossbowmen?
One of my dreams when I discovered DF was a multiracial fort. The Count would have been a Tigerman, and would have had a village on the surface to deal with ambushers. The Baron would have been a Cave Swallowman, and his people would have provided security in the caverns. The Duke would have managed trade near the surface, and the King would have had a palace by the magma forges.

I think Toady's a couple releases from letting me play that dream.
I have:
 - 10 impala men
 - 7 rhino men
 - 17 mongoose men
 - 17 giant tortoise men
 - 27 peregrine falcon men
 - 4 gazelle men
 - 5 vulture men
I can't tame all of them. Can you imagine the hit to FPS? But I only have 170 citizens so I have some room to grow. Which animal men should I tame, then?

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47725 on: June 26, 2016, 09:08:50 am »

I mucked up the double slit, all further expansion will have to be done at surface level so this should be interesting.

Migrants are arriving faster than we can build rooms for them. I think we're almost at the pop cap I set though.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47726 on: June 26, 2016, 09:09:15 am »

I have:
 - 10 impala men
 - 7 rhino men
 - 17 mongoose men
 - 17 giant tortoise men
 - 27 peregrine falcon men
 - 4 gazelle men
 - 5 vulture men
I can't tame all of them. Can you imagine the hit to FPS? But I only have 170 citizens so I have some room to grow. Which animal men should I tame, then?

Rhino and giant tortoise, natch.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47727 on: June 26, 2016, 10:48:12 am »

Rhino and giant tortoise, natch.
Rhino men yes, but I don't think you understand how slow giant tortoise men are. But wait, if I'm making them naked warriors, slowness might actually be a bonus. It means they won't charge the enemy, instead staying together. Hmmm...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47728 on: June 26, 2016, 01:19:56 pm »

Peregine falcon men, to work in food industry. Can get rid of pastures on food stockpiles.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47729 on: June 26, 2016, 01:51:02 pm »

Alright then, rhino men, giant tortoise men, and peregrine falcon men. Not all the peregrine falcon men, though. That would be too many. And probably only ten giant tortoise men.

News:
 - The new year killed two giant weasels and two naked mole dogs. Life goes on.
 - I will make some gold coins to commemorate five years of Stonegate.
 - A bonecarver went fey and made a rutherer bone gauntlet.
 - I've finally run out of diorite blocks, despite three masonry workshops working non-stop producing them. Work on the Wall will be slowed. I have built three more workshops. Hopefully it will be enough.
 - I continue to catch an obscene number of animals. On a semi-related note, giant chameleons give a ton of eggs.
 - The elven diplomat visited. Someday, when I don't need the elves any more, I'll throw that little shit in a pit of wild rattlesnakes.

Stonegate has come far. I'm building the second story of a five-block-thick wall around the whole embark. I have hundreds of trained animals. The fort is bedecked in riches and finery. I've had many and artifacts and legendary dwarves. It's only year five.

Meanwhile, the world is dying. It seems only the Steel of Idols has come out relatively unscathed. The elves, goblins, and humans are all conquering each other, heedless of the loss of life. In these last five years, the world's population has been nearly halved.
Pages: 1 ... 3180 3181 [3182] 3183 3184 ... 3842