Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3179 3180 [3181] 3182 3183 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127209 times)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47700 on: June 22, 2016, 04:51:41 pm »

Teleporting the outpost liaison out of limbo put the world back in order.  She and the duchess had an attend/conduct meeting job pair, but they met briefly and without dialogue.  Then the liaison went off-map, and now here in the autumn she is back as though nothing happened.

I'm mad I didn't think of/try this sooner...

How does one do this?  My liaison/caravan has been missing for decades.  Same with the human diplomat/caravan, except its only been about 10 years and at least the diplomat will still pause the game when he 'shows' up... not that he does.

My current plan was to wait for the liaison to die of old age and hope that would jar the system back into working order, but if I can teleport him back in... that would be grand.

DFHack has a teleport command.  I went back to an old seasonal autosave backup from an early autumn, waited for the liaison to appear, and used teleport -showunitid to get her unit id#.  Then loaded the current save and teleported her into the fortress.

I don't know how to use this for the caravan, however.  The caravan units seem to be changed up too often to use old unit id#s for them.  My elven caravan is currently AWOL but I don't actually care so I'm not doing anything.

For more important caravans, the fix I'm using is to revert to the seasonal autosave backup whenever the caravan is announced but doesn't appear, or when it doesn't seem to be unloading correctly.  The liaison problem must have slipped by me - she must have been announced, but never appeared, and I didn't notice.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47701 on: June 22, 2016, 05:48:13 pm »

Eh, for a start you should probably do a DFHack fix-unit-occupancy (just type that in the console). There's a significant chance your issues are caused by phantom units blocking the caravans/liaisons from spawning at the map edge.

Unfortunately, this proves to be impossible for me.  This particular save is from DF 40.24 and it seems the plug-in files somehow were jumbled during the heady days of quick releases of DF2014.  The df hack that loads when the game opens doesn't seem to like any plug-in file created after 3/31/2015; the fix-unit-occupancy file was 11/10/2015.  I attempted to port the save over to a copy of the game with all plug-ins at 11/10/2015, including the fix-unit occupancy, but the game crashes upon trying to load.

DFHack has a teleport command.  I went back to an old seasonal autosave backup from an early autumn, waited for the liaison to appear, and used teleport -showunitid to get her unit id#.  Then loaded the current save and teleported her into the fortress.

Wish I could do this, but I just found out that the teleport command errors out on me whenever it is run.  And the previously mentioned difficulties with getting the save to work with a newer version of dfhack means most likely I am stuck waiting it out.

Good to know for future forts, though.  Thanks!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47702 on: June 22, 2016, 06:31:02 pm »

Stonecastle news:
 - The mayor got a mood and made a goblin bone earring. I knew I kept that goblin ribcage for a reason!
 - The queen consort is back, studying in the library. Also, with DFhack's help showing me skills, I made everyone who used to be a scholar before moving to Stonecastle a scholar here.
 - The caravan arrived with the liaison. Unfortunately, the caravan bugged and I don't think I'll ever get another. Fuck, that was my only source of steel.
 - We are now a barony!
 - I now have a legendary weaponsmith. Time for some masterwork steel instead of imported copper.
 - Gigantic tortoise hatchlings! Ten of them. I also have giant warthog piglets, draltha children, and cheetah cubs.

Well, I was hoping Stonecastle would be the next Bastiongate, but that merchant bug just kills me. Bastiongate has ruined me in that I expect every fort of mine to measure up to it. I don't want to wait 20 years for things to get awesome, I want them awesome now!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47703 on: June 22, 2016, 07:03:36 pm »

Started Watercross, Arelmetul, at the junction of two rivers where they form a canyon. I am going to try an all above ground fortress, with most of the fortress suspended above the rivers.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47704 on: June 22, 2016, 09:08:46 pm »

A male giant black bear, to go with my three female giant black bears, was a good bit of luck.  My dogs have been gradually passing away, and I don't think I'll replace them with more dogs.  The bears are easy to catch, as they go straight into my trapline while pathing toward the fortress.

The best luck, however, was the long-awaited arrival of a roc, after several disappointing semi-megabeasts and three sieges.  Maybe I'll get super-lucky like I did with the hydras, and get a second, compatible roc as my next uninvited guest.

One of the scholars made a breakthrough on the topic of incisions and wrote a book about it.  This is our first useful book, although we've written 9 others.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47705 on: June 22, 2016, 09:28:56 pm »

Stonecastle now has a set of RHINOCEROS PEOPLE. Should I make animal men tamable? Can you imagine rhino men charging into battle, supported by peregrine falcon man crossbowmen?

Redman the Communist

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:LIGHT] [SPHERE:HEALING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47706 on: June 22, 2016, 11:25:43 pm »

So I was just minding my own business, playing the Trashworld mod in Fortress Mode, when suddenly a giant explosion happened on the surface, and the land burst into flames and began spreading incredibly quickly? I've heard stories of mods causing large fiery explosions, but the oddest part was how big the explosion was, how quickly it spread, and why a single guy was dead at the very center of the explosion... anyone have any ideas? Worst of all was that it covered 3/4ths of the map before rain happened and stopped it from spreading further.

P.S. the guy who died was burnt to a crisp completely, I would almost assume I got napalmed by Armok.
A light cannot fade by darkness
it will shine even in the darkest corners of the world.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47707 on: June 23, 2016, 01:27:44 am »

So I was just minding my own business, playing the Trashworld mod in Fortress Mode, when suddenly a giant explosion happened on the surface, and the land burst into flames and began spreading incredibly quickly? I've heard stories of mods causing large fiery explosions, but the oddest part was how big the explosion was, how quickly it spread, and why a single guy was dead at the very center of the explosion... anyone have any ideas? Worst of all was that it covered 3/4ths of the map before rain happened and stopped it from spreading further.

P.S. the guy who died was burnt to a crisp completely, I would almost assume I got napalmed by Armok.
Looks like a thermonuclear catsplosion to me.

Check to see if anything has a really high fixed temperature, especially creatures with a really high homeotherm.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47708 on: June 23, 2016, 07:12:29 am »

I got a guard ready and equipped, so that's something. They're clad in copper armor and equipped with copper/silver weapons (mostly hammers and maces), but at least the fortress isn't defenseless anymore. The guard demonstrated their usefulness by finishing off a giant olm knocked unconscious by my array of stone traps, which was then butchered and eaten.

I also started flooding my previous stockpile to get a new farm plot. The 4x3 bit of walled-off cavern just doesn't do anymore.

Also, I got my fourth strange mood! The dwarf claimed a jeweler's workshop, grabbed some lapis, and made... a lapis coffin decorated with lapis. So far, all my artifacts have been either bone armor or coffins... is the game trying to tell me something?

Also, I keep getting 'forge copper mail shirt cancelled, need refined coal' messages despite my only having magma forges. Is there a way to correct this?

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47709 on: June 23, 2016, 09:31:05 pm »

Our first giant black bear cubs were born this year.  The dogs are passing away, and I plan to not breed or buy more, but rather replace them in their roles with giant black bears.

The fort's population has reached 100.  However, few children (usually 1, sometimes 0) come of age each year.  That period of low fertility micromanagement during the final push to get the defenses finished prior to reaching population 50?  Yeah, that thin slice in the population pyramid is passing through the maturity threshold right now.  There are still specialties to fill, to free up my starting seven, and require less multi-tasking of them, but it takes a long time to fill those positions when few kiddos are in the pipeline.

Still haven't dug toward the second cavern.  I really need to, but other things keep coming up.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47710 on: June 23, 2016, 09:51:03 pm »

More beds.
More food. Bought out the elves, trading a few prepared food pots for everything they owned. Got a number of animals which might be useful.
Tried putting beds for the tavern.
A group of scholars came to visit (apparently the library's fairly popular now).
Finally putting the egg-laying animals to use by placing nest boxes.
Trying to mine and get to the caverns.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47711 on: June 24, 2016, 09:50:13 am »

Began a new city after the Fiasco Of The Reanimated Grizzly Bear Head Skin ruined Silverconsults.  Used the standard 2 picks, 1 anvil, nothing else setup.  Got dug in and created a waiting room to get everyone off the snowy, creepy surface.  Discovered that the depth between the surface and the magma sea was about 35 z-levels... unexpected.  Discovered that only the third cavern at -33 had water.  Cursed a bit.

Fetched plants from the caverns for booze.  Walled off a section of the first cavern pastures for animals.  Lost several workshops, including my masonry workshop, to a rampaging troll who had other appointments and went offmap as soon as he finished breaking everything breakable.  Waved goodbye. 

Dug magma forges to process the metals native to the area (magnetite, galena [of f*cking course, galena], tetrahedrite).  Discovered that there was no gold, platinum, aluminum or any high value alloying metals.  Noted the complete absence of any form of flux.  Cursed a bit more.  Briefly considered abandoning.  Dug farms in the dirt layer.

Processed the first wave of migrants and began construction on a trade depot and a bridgehead at the ramp entrance.  So far, so good.  Hope the caravan brings some steel and is ready to cart in nothing but flux.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47712 on: June 24, 2016, 10:03:00 am »

I got my first siege from the nearby goblin tower, consisting of ten goblins with various professions. At first, I wanted to lock the door and train my militia a bit more, but a discarded XPig Tail DressX made it impossible for me to lock the door.

I simply ordered everyone to remain in their rooms, ordered the army to the entrance, and told them to wait until the goblins had been softened up by a trap corridor. A few recruits were having none of that, though, and stormed through. In the ensuing chaos, all ten goblins died, but they took four dwarves with them. At least I have some iron stuff to melt down now.

Also, my major wandered outside after the siege and stumbled upon the corpse of her husband. I actually feel kind of bad for stationing him after a few weeks of combat training now.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47713 on: June 24, 2016, 03:37:39 pm »

Stonegate news:
 - The animals in the animal room are starting to become crowded. A gigantic tortoise bit a giant chameleon in the head so hard it died. Gigantic tortoises are huge.
 - Work on the Wall continues. Right now I'm building the outside of the Gatehouse, as well as sally ports in the center of each side. The Wall uses a different kind of symmetry than the rest of the fort, so there's a bit of weirdness where the two join up.
 - My dwarves are writing books.
 - Giant monitor lizard hatchlings, giant wild boar piglets, giant giraffe calves.
 - There's a three-eyed, four-horned deer in the first cavern killing elk birds. Its gas causes terrible things.
 - Reveal has shown me the second cavern, the one I couldn't find. My staircase and dump chute went right through a massive stone pillar. Anyway, I'm not opening it up because it's 80% shallow water.
 - Now that everywhere inside the Wall is safe, I've created two more pastures outside the inner wall. This will help with overgrazing.

Something new I've never seen before.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47714 on: June 25, 2016, 04:10:05 am »

New fort in a new world, after the aforementioned webslug decided to massacre my previous one. I checked its kill count: turns out it'd slain three hundred and ten beings while staying at my fortress. All of this in a little over one year.

I've embarked on a small savage good island south of my world's main continent. I haven't actually done anything so far, but I did take a look at my surroundings. Turns out I've embarked on a cave... populated by several gorlaks. Nothing else on the visible levels, just gorlaks.

Soon, dwarf-gorlak diplomacy will begin. And by 'diplomacy', I mean 'keep quiet or get an axe to the face'.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:39:04 pm by Derro »
Pages: 1 ... 3179 3180 [3181] 3182 3183 ... 3842