Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3177 3178 [3179] 3180 3181 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127414 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47670 on: June 18, 2016, 07:18:53 pm »

Stonecastle news:
 - There was a siege. It is dead now, along with many of the Shield dogs. Half of them were captured. I should really invest in a way to dispose of prisoners. Events of note include a mechanic surviving the siege outside the walls. He is in the hospital now.
 - I have captured a shitload of animal men. Most of them fly. What the hell should I do with them?
 - I have also captured the second of a pair of giant monitor lizards, a leopard, a bunch of wild boars, and a bunch of giant giraffes. I don't need all these grazers!
 - I finished the cage trap ring! Woo!
 - A wild ostrich managed to make it all the way inside the inner wall before being kicked to death by war rhinos. Also, those are a thing I have now.
 - The human law-giver visited with the caravan. The VAMPIRE law-giver. Who is bedecked in bone jewelry and using a fake name. He talked to the baroness (of another site, but my citizen) and spoke of war, decline, and strife. It seems the world is falling apart, with goblins conquering and killing everyone. Apparently that bored the baroness because she fell asleep immediately afterward.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47671 on: June 18, 2016, 11:47:33 pm »

Stonecastle news:
  - I have captured a shitload of animal men. Most of them fly. What the hell should I do with them?
You could test their VTO time.  Build a room 3 zeds tall.  Build a 3x4 bridge, and place a caged flier atop it.  Link bridge & cage to the same lever.  PULL THE LEVER!  If the animal person is plastered against the ceiling or otherwise crushed by a flying cage, you can estimate their takeoff time based on the delay between lever & release.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47672 on: June 19, 2016, 03:05:23 am »

Pretty sure you have to build a cage to link it, which can't be done on a bridge.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47673 on: June 19, 2016, 04:14:17 am »

Basementvoices, my own proud fortress, has breached the second and third cave layers in search of metal. Sadly, nothing but native gold and tetrahedrite could be found: it seems my military will be using copper armor and silver hammers. Both layers were quickly sealed off upon discovery, and the metals were mined from secure passages not accessible by the many monsters down there (I spotted a blind cave ogre, some bugbats, and a horde of crundles, amongst other things).

Also interesting: I spotted a giant ant queen spearwoman surrounded by corpses and covered in blood. The game told me she was 'hostile', so I'm going to ignore her until my militia has gotten some decent equipment.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47674 on: June 19, 2016, 09:05:39 am »

You could test their VTO time.  Build a room 3 zeds tall.  Build a 3x4 bridge, and place a caged flier atop it.  Link bridge & cage to the same lever.  PULL THE LEVER!  If the animal person is plastered against the ceiling or otherwise crushed by a flying cage, you can estimate their takeoff time based on the delay between lever & release.
That's not going to work, fliers are always flying, even when they're walking.

Also, to take care of the prisoners, I think I'll convert my dump zone temporarily to become a 124-z drop pit.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47675 on: June 19, 2016, 12:45:06 pm »

I finally captured a male cave croc (to go with my eight female cave crocs).  In what was probably not my finest hour, I decided to 'splode the crocs at approximately the same time I turned on the silk farm.

Yeah, that was a pretty big FPS hit.

In an interesting bit of luck, the next megabeast to visit was another hydra, and of the opposite gender.  I've never bred hydras before, so we'll see how this goes.

eta: Hydras are also born adult.  o.O  Why didn't I know this before?  At least they have a good value multiplier for when I start culling.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 05:52:34 pm by Daris »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47676 on: June 19, 2016, 07:17:09 pm »

Finally got DFhack. I missed it so much.

Stonecastle news:
 - With the completion of an outer wall, Stonecastle is starting to resemble its namesake. Almost the entire map can be enclosed with the flick of a lever. Now I have to plan out the Gatehouse with a capital G.
 - I've placed all the prisoners in a wooden cage right next to the dump zone, where they are repeatedly bathed in magma mist. Despite this, nobody has caught fire. Why? The goal is to burn the corpses and clothes, but leave the nice goblinite to be melted.
 - I have caught a simply obscene number of animals. Way too many animals. I should butcher some, but I really want that expert training level. Also, I've achieved that for rhinos and rhinos only.
 - I've also caught a ridiculous number of animal men. I've stuffed them all in one little cage. Also, a visiting hammerman killed my chained vulture man. He was an experiment >:(
 - I accepted a small performance troop into the fortress, and now I have a married pair of goblins. Also, my performers are starting to ask for citizenship.
 - I have a legendary armorsmith. Now I just need enough steel to outfit my dwarves. Easier said than done.
 - I've reached the point where I can just trade away worn clothing in exchange for metal goods forever.
 - 98% of the fortress is "ecstatic".
 - The caravan and liaison have arrived. Let's hope I can become a barony!

Long term, I think I'll save giant tortoises, giant wild boars, rhinos, GCS if I can get them, and cats if I don't replace them. There aren't any giant birds, which means no Eyrie. But if I remember correctly, there are breeding pairs of all the megabeasts...

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47677 on: June 19, 2016, 10:03:41 pm »

Been playing 40d on an old computer, have already lost a fisherdorf to carp.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47678 on: June 19, 2016, 11:29:19 pm »

It has been seven years since the foundation of Crystaldream, and six since the attack of the Pandashi necromancer Imara Windyclear killed 19 of the 21 citizens.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, things have been going quite smoothly with the exception of total loss of contact with the mountainhome. Five years without liaison or caravan, though the elves and humans have taken up some of the slack in terms of trade. I don't have a single pair of married dwarves left in the fortress, and I can't be bothered setting up honeymoon suites, so my population's pretty much stuck until I get an autumn without a siege. On the plus side, I'm actually getting useful artifacts from my strange moods.

A mistaken designation led to a tunnel being dug straight through the side of an adamantine spire deep in the third cavern layer, luckily without finding the circus. Subsequent upward exploration has led to the mining of nearly 600 units of raw adamantine though, so there's that.

A few years ago, a Badgerwoman Mountain Queen Consort attacked with a small party of maybe a dozen bodyguards, and was subsequently captured, stripped, and put on display in our volcanotop temple. Turns out, they're not too happy about that, as I've since had two absolutely massive invasions of 100+ badgermen led by 10-15 axelords and swordmasters each. Maybe I should move her cage to above the gates...

The second cavern layer was taken over by a Forgotten Beast made of flames shortly after discovery, and sealed off. It seems to have disappeared though, only to be replaced by an enormous aluminum spider that has since slain three other Forgotten Beasts. Yeah, that cavern's staying sealed.

I've also managed to capture a necromancer. I've got a few hundred corpses in my minecart grinder pit too... hmm. This has potential.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47679 on: June 20, 2016, 02:22:19 am »

Said fisherdorf's body was stuck in a pond, so I have undergone something of a project to retrieve it for burial, slabs apparently not being implemented in this version.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47680 on: June 20, 2016, 03:47:01 am »

Kingsheltered has become a Barony with the arrival of a trade liason for the first time. Might mean "The Crowded Lancers" are are starting to reclaim some world gen territory, but it's hard to tell as the world is the same news wise. The promoted Baron is one of our legendary Miners. Who, while rather protective of all fort goblets, has a personality that will hopefully keep his mandates to a minimum. After he and his near legendary Miner wife lost two of their four children to drowning, I figured they deserved a little recognition for their dedication to the fort.

In other news the tavern has been opened to visitors, who started to appear and request work rather quickly. Plans are now being made for a foreign legion to explore the caverns while our small group of Hammerlords continues to defend the fort proper.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47681 on: June 20, 2016, 05:14:51 am »

Through some careful (one might also call it "injudicious") egg management, I wound up with eight pages of cave croc hatchlings.  We got all of them tame within two seasons by turning out the entire fortress to the effort, and just getting rid of their training timers gave me 2 fps back.  Now I just need to let the game run while I watch a movie, or take an epic nap, or something, so my dwarves have time to cage all these things.

In other news, the dwarven caravan arrived again without the outpost liaison.  I got suspicious of how long she's been away, so I went back in time to get her unit id and used DFHack to try teleporting her into the fortress.

She was ... so far down on the other-units list.  So far!  Only two semi-megabeasts have been in the fortress longer.  She's been stuck in limbo all this time.  This is a super-annoying bug, y'all.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:18:59 am by Daris »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47682 on: June 20, 2016, 11:40:18 am »

Hm. 43.03 fort... doing some terrifying embark testing, get some Giant (undead) Monarch Butterfly Corpses, and some Giant Bluejay Corpses on the map... ok, my dwarves kill them, and then.. promptly butcher them?

Did giant undead animals always provide perfectly fine meat, or is this something new?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47683 on: June 20, 2016, 11:47:16 am »

Hm. 43.03 fort... doing some terrifying embark testing, get some Giant (undead) Monarch Butterfly Corpses, and some Giant Bluejay Corpses on the map... ok, my dwarves kill them, and then.. promptly butcher them?

Did giant undead animals always provide perfectly fine meat, or is this something new?

I've obtained scraps of meat off of zombies in adventurer mode before, I would assume that rot on "living" creatures affects the quantity of returns but not the apparent age of the meat once butchered.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47684 on: June 20, 2016, 03:00:43 pm »

I finished the foundations for my magma forges and magma smelters today, to reduce my dependency on charcoal. Note that by 'dependency on charcoal', I mean 'dwarves having to venture into a monster-filled cavern to get wood because I embarked on a glacier'.

I also got a mayor and built him some rooms. His needs are still not completely fulfilled, despite the solid gold statue of his arrival in his bedroom.

Also, I saw a troll get attacked by a giant cave spider. The GCS won, then got smashed to bits by my stone-fall traps.
Pages: 1 ... 3177 3178 [3179] 3180 3181 ... 3842