Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3173 3174 [3175] 3176 3177 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127643 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47610 on: June 11, 2016, 05:05:11 pm »

Realizing that I could break the siege, I did. More goblins got away than normal, but they came at my dwarves slow enough that they didn't get too tired to fight. Also, one of my off-duty legendary marksdwarves died in a deconstruction accident, the third death this fort.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47611 on: June 11, 2016, 06:05:21 pm »

Year 17.  The defensive walls are finally completed; the timing is good, given that our population is 47.  Enough kiddos have grown up that fringe tasks have become viable, like pottery, waxcrafting, and animal training.  One of the kids had a bone carver mood when underage, and we finally have high-quality trinkets for dwarves to wear.

I set up a fishing hut around the brook when constructing the walls, but the human caravan brings soooo much seafood that it seems pointless to fish for my own.  Maybe when I'm overflowing with adult dwarves without enough work to go around, I'll start fishing.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47612 on: June 12, 2016, 12:37:30 pm »

A werebuffalo attacked Stonecastle - not surprising, this world is flooded with werebeasts, especially werebuffalos. It killed a miner before the military put it down. Also, the Grand Golden Hall has claimed its first victim, a fisherdwarf. A ranger was seriously wounded in a bar fight, where six other dwarves ganged up on her and broke several bones. It's a good thing she has high disease resistance, or her five infected fingernails might put her in the grave.

I've started digging out the future Temple Hall. Twelve temples in all, ten for individual gods, one for small gods (ones with no worshippers), and one for other gods. Each god's temple will be 7x7 with a 5 block pillar in the center depicting the god doing things related to their spheres. The other temples will be 9x9 with a 3x3 pillar depicting the gods there.

The bookshelves for the yet unnamed grand library have been completed! 100 golden bookshelves.

An update on the ranger, she just died of alcohol. This just in, beer more deadly than goblins, news at 11.

EDIT: The new library is named the Library of Gold. Making it increased my visitor count tenfold, and now the Grand Golden Hall is full of performers. I've accepted a few into the fortress. Also, I have a human bard. He was already there, I just didn't mention it.

One of my dwarves has inherited the position of baroness. I'm making her a noble's room.

My cage trap ring is about 3/8 complete! I've already caught some gigantic desert tortoises and rhinos. The tortoises won't come out of their shells to lay eggs, but I think I'll have rhino calves soon. Also, there is a male and female GCS in the first cavern! I've opened the gate, but they aren't coming. I hope I can catch them.

The queen consort is here! She's a chemist who studies at a human library. I guess that's why the king has no heirs.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 03:47:32 pm by TheFlame52 »

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #47613 on: June 12, 2016, 08:27:53 pm »

5 Limestone 413
For the first time since it was built, the gate of Torchbolted is closed.  There are at least 100 invading soldiers outside, and around 40 war animals.  Such an army might be able to overwhelm even the four legendary champions of the Bronze Threat, or simply rush past them faster than they can kill.  Every goblin with combat training will be needed to keep this swarm under control, and I'm wishing now that I'd put a higher priority on the Bridge of Razors that will someday provide a very perilous route into the bottom of the moat.  Still, the walls should be secure against any attack, and the warriors of Torchbolted have taken on ten to one odds without difficulty.  It looks to be a busy autumn.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47614 on: June 12, 2016, 09:02:00 pm »

The duke was doomed. He was taken by a strange mood and asked for rough gems while the map had only sand and loam.

Should I try to cave-in the aquifer?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47615 on: June 12, 2016, 09:10:38 pm »

Perhaps. Alternatively, you could forbid things already gathered in his workshop to reset insanity timer every month as he gets a new one, until caravan arrives.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47616 on: June 12, 2016, 09:32:21 pm »

Perhaps. Alternatively, you could forbid things already gathered in his workshop to reset insanity timer every month as he gets a new one, until caravan arrives.
Caravans don't bring rough gems as far as I know.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47617 on: June 12, 2016, 09:38:43 pm »

...Yeah I suppose they've all been pre-cut that I've seen.

If he is likely to go berserk, you could get alternate utility out of him by temple statue-toppling to chance for pet vamp/werebeast for controlled infections.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47618 on: June 12, 2016, 10:12:37 pm »

Couldn't you have made rough glass gems?
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47619 on: June 12, 2016, 10:18:34 pm »

That doesn't count I think. Because I had some raw glass gems.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47620 on: June 12, 2016, 10:32:56 pm »

Wiki disagrees. Raw Green Glass is a low value uncut gem.

You sure you hadn't already cut them or something?

If His Grace the Duke's not gone yet, and you have charcoal, try making some fresh ones just in case.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47621 on: June 12, 2016, 11:01:57 pm »

Wiki disagrees. Raw Green Glass is a low value uncut gem.

You sure you hadn't already cut them or something?

If His Grace the Duke's not gone yet, and you have charcoal, try making some fresh ones just in case.

Yeah, I checked the stockpile, they were available.
But maybe he just needed more cloth? He had already fetched 3 pieces of silk cloth before stopping.

The list was:

cloth
rough gem
blocks
leather
cut gem

So I assumed he needed rough gem next.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47622 on: June 13, 2016, 12:29:31 am »

They don't fetch them in the listed order. The only thing to do is make sure you have multiples of each, and all kinds of cloth.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47623 on: June 13, 2016, 12:31:05 am »

I usually always have a large stockpile of uncut gems that I'm sitting on until I finally get around to having my jewelers cut them, and then I end up sitting on a large stockpile of cut gems.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47624 on: June 13, 2016, 02:20:22 am »

They don't fetch them in the listed order. The only thing to do is make sure you have multiples of each, and all kinds of cloth.

Well, I had only 4 pieces of silk cloth. He already grabbed 3. If I forbid one of them then he would get the 4th (just to make sure if all were available).
As for other materials, I had plenty of.

BTW, what if he dies? Will my fort still become the mountain home or should I start another fort?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:24:33 am by Libash_Thunderhead »
Pages: 1 ... 3173 3174 [3175] 3176 3177 ... 3842