Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3169 3170 [3171] 3172 3173 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127880 times)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47550 on: June 04, 2016, 09:50:33 pm »

It's year 20 and the population of the fortress is still only 26.  :/

The duke consort has 33 cats.

The newest-born also likes cats.  o.O

With the wall completed, we've started catching wild animals, so I assigned an otherwise-untalented dwarf to be the fortress animal trainer.  He's getting pretty good at it.

One of my two scholars wrote a book.  Of the Mountain Halls is a 1-page pamphlet about our fortress.  Write what you know, I suppose.  I had a copy made, and then exported the copy back home with the dwarven caravan.  Not sure what I think this is going to accomplish, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47551 on: June 04, 2016, 10:02:36 pm »

So I decided to get rid of the giant newt with deadly dust that's been hanging out in the caverns for a few years. Turns out its syndrome causes dizziness, swelling, necrosis, and oh yeah, BONE LIQUIFICATION.

Well okay, not exactly liquification, but everyone who came in contact with the dust has fractures on every bone in their body. My hospital's supply of gypsum dust and splints was used up in seconds.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Furious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47552 on: June 04, 2016, 10:11:48 pm »

My fort was just attacked by a Wereantelope and before it could be put down a few were bitten.  All infected (6) were put in an isolation pit along with two unfortunate innocent dwarves.  First month goes by and as expected I have a few new reasons to fear the night.  Lo and behold the two innocents manage to take out two werebeasts before being killed. 
Now I have four werebeasts left trapped in a pit completely cut off from the rest of society. 
Just before the next full moon one of them was elected mayor...
Wait ? Your fort is not half green half red regardless of the stone it's built in ? I'm learning something new every day.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47553 on: June 05, 2016, 02:36:11 am »

The mayor was beaten up for violation of production orders from the duke. ::)
I built a chain but forgot to make it a prison.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47554 on: June 05, 2016, 09:21:27 am »

Decided to re-start Greatercrypts.  I didn't like where I'd located my magma pool, and I didn't like how few children I'd gotten.  I thought that maybe the problem was that my married couples weren't spending enough time together, so I neglected to make meeting areas this time and gave them minuscule bedrooms.  Now they have no place to spend their free time except in close proximity, and lo!  Fertility problem resolved!

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47555 on: June 05, 2016, 12:54:37 pm »

Gave my King a platinum war hammer, given that he loves war hammers and because he's the freaking King. It's highly decorated, and I know that one day it will be a weapon of great renown. The goblins haven't invaded yet to try to put an end to our race, but I know that it's only a matter of time until that day arrives.

When it does, though, we'll be ready for them.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #47556 on: June 05, 2016, 01:54:11 pm »

In my last fort I have an echidna man which stayed on the map (on the same spot, even) ever since I embarked. I built the entrance to my fort next to him, then as time passed I built walls, pastures and farms around him. He lust... stood there. Not moving, not interacting with anyone, not bothering anyone. Caravans, scholars, artists and mercenaries have come and gone, goblins, undead, werecreatures, an Ettin (not to mention modded races) have beseiged my fort (and died), but he never made even a single move. He's still there, surrounded by pigs and rendeers doing nothing.

The wound section says he's "distracted"...

Weirdest thing I've ever seen in a fort...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 01:57:04 pm by than402 »

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47557 on: June 05, 2016, 02:44:17 pm »

In my last fort I have an echidna man which stayed on the map (on the same spot, even) ever since I embarked. I built the entrance to my fort next to him, then as time passed I built walls, pastures and farms around him. He lust... stood there. Not moving, not interacting with anyone, not bothering anyone. Caravans, scholars, artists and mercenaries have come and gone, goblins, undead, werecreatures, an Ettin (not to mention modded races) have beseiged my fort (and died), but he never made even a single move. He's still there, surrounded by pigs and rendeers doing nothing.

The wound section says he's "distracted"...

Weirdest thing I've ever seen in a fort...

You didn't notice if he might be guarding anything? Perhaps a large cut emerald of any sort? Its possible he's on a sworn mission to protect it against thieving Giant Bats or Egg Men.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #47558 on: June 05, 2016, 03:04:44 pm »

You didn't notice if he might be guarding anything? Perhaps a large cut emerald of any sort? Its possible he's on a sworn mission to protect it against thieving Giant Bats or Egg Men.

Nah, I'm not that lucky... Whatever he's doing, however, he must be fervently involved in it. The game says he's "distracted", he hasn't even noticed my fort growing around him!!!... I long for the day he finally gets up, looks around him and goes "what the hell, who built this wall, were there always so many animals in the area, where did all these dwarves came from?"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:07:06 pm by than402 »

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47559 on: June 05, 2016, 04:03:41 pm »

I was had an echidna on my map that was exactly like this echidna man. It just stayed there, not doing anything and just hanging out. I liked it. It was like a constant companion on the Units screen.

Then a roc showed up, grabbed it in its talons, and killed it right outside my fortress just as my archers were shooting down the megabeast and melee dwarves moving in to finish it off.

R.I.P. echidna buddy. You made delicious meals.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #47560 on: June 05, 2016, 06:07:30 pm »

There's a cherry tree growing in thin air in the middle of my moat.  Just floating there, in open space, three levels above the chalk floor at the bottom.  I have no idea how it got there or why it's not falling down.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47561 on: June 05, 2016, 06:43:28 pm »

Well that's interesting. In the early autumn of year 253, the fourth year of my fortress, an outpost liaison arrived along with the dwarf caravan for the first time. It's strange because I went into Legends mode earlier and saw absolutely no activity from my civilization from the year 104 onwards. All of our sites were destroyed or overrun by forgotten beasts or the goblins.

Even more interesting, the King lives here, and the outpost liaison came empowered to proclaim us a barony. Empowered by who? These halls here are where the leader of our race lives! Who empowered you to proclaim the Mountainhome a barony?

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47562 on: June 05, 2016, 09:15:56 pm »

However, right now it seems that the greatest enemy to the fortress is not goblins, but trees. Despite efforts to control them, they continue to pop up everywhere, sapping our defenses and causing delays in construction. Most recently, one forced its way up underneath a turret on the perimeter wall which was being constructed at the time. The sapling broke through 8 tiles of the turret and the floor below it, causing them to fall on the fortress' legendary cook who was standing beneath them at the time, killing him instantly. If this happens again, I may just pave over the entire area.
Damn! I knew trees were evil but... wow.
Akur Akir Akam!

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47563 on: June 05, 2016, 09:18:06 pm »

Working on getting my king married. I need a line of heirs to the throne now that I've been able to resurrect the civilization. Does anyone know if those pre-honeymoon suites still work, or do the dorfs actually have to "Socialize" in order to build relationships?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:14:32 pm by Urist McShire »

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #47564 on: June 06, 2016, 02:11:14 am »

Working on getting my king married. I need a line of heirs to the throne now that I've been able to resurrect the civilization. Does anyone know if those pre-honeymoon suites still work, or do the dorfs actually have to "Socialize" in order to build relationships?
From what I've seen, locking them up with the potential suitor and a stockpile of food and drink is still the most effective way to encourage some romance.  "Socializing" in a tavern doesn't seem to be needed, or even especially helpful.  I haven't done any serious science on it, though.

40 dwarven invaders vs. 4 goblin weapon-masters and one troll with a weregoat infection.  Results: 1 dwarf who ran far ahead of the others caged before my squad went forth.  31 invaders dead, and the rest fled.  Not a single injury taken.  I was hoping the infected troll would get killed fighting enemies before she transforms and gets taken out by my fighters, but she never even managed to catch up with the battle before the dwarves died, and none of the marksdwarves bothered sending any bolts in her direction.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.
Pages: 1 ... 3169 3170 [3171] 3172 3173 ... 3842