Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3166 3167 [3168] 3169 3170 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128166 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47505 on: June 01, 2016, 08:36:24 pm »

It seems that the latest update introduced some forge bugs to my fort. They won't accept job orders that aren't specifically assigned to them, and my moody smith refuses to gather any materials to make his artifact. It really sucks to lose him like this, especially since he is the best weapon and armor smith I have.

It must be a result of me moving my 43.02 world to 43.03, since this doesn't happen with newly generated worlds.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47506 on: June 01, 2016, 11:42:49 pm »

A fisherdwarf was killed by harpies and his corpse fell into the river. Two other dwarves managed to trap themselves on trees. Fortunately I saw the hunting vermin message before they died from thirsty.

The dwarves built a screw pump near the corpse. Then they built two long walls to channel the pumped water back into the great lake.

For several days the operator had been pumping the water from the river into the lake restlessly.

Eventually, a brave dwarf saw the opportunity and dragged the rotten corpse of the poor fisherdwarf out of the river.

However, some members of the corpse recovery team dropped their mugs in the river, so they ended up having more river garbage to dump.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:21:31 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47507 on: June 02, 2016, 12:19:13 am »

Have my metalcrafters stamping everything with our local government's image and waiting for them to do the named blades. Does anybody know if they can actually decorate items that are already named or are those impossible to decorate after a dwarf has named them?

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47508 on: June 02, 2016, 04:18:42 am »

Grandtowers of Fondling, Log 2:

At last, after 5-6 of sessions of savescumming which all ended in death of my forts, I finally managed to conquer the undead menace. Even thought they weren't my biggest problem.

Somehow or other, my dorfs ran out of booze cue screams of doom and my caverns had no water. None. Just magma way below the ground. The zombies have been camping outside, so the smart me, after lots of trial and error ( MOSTLY error ) managed to outsmart the braindead corpses. After setting up a 1 wide corridor full of traps and digging to the other side of the river, where my dwarves were safe ( except that one time a Dwarven Bowdwarf decided to spiderman across the river... ) and could drink some disgusting, non-alcoholic delicious water before they dehydrated to death.

Then the final month of the year came. The river froze, but I was ready ( not really ) for the undead. They ran across the surface and went into my bypass tunnel. After a clever use of a drawbridge, they were forced to go through the cage-trapped corridor. Success!

Except that 5 or 6 made it past.

Shit, I think. My militia is absolutely pathetic by this point, no to mention that half of them ( 2 dorfs ) still use wooden axes. After those fools kept going into the trapped hallway and engaging the zombies in a brawl, I decided to remove them from the squad.

This meant that the SOLE PROTECTOR of my fort was my axe commander, who covered in his clothes, with just leather armor and leather shield to defend himself, wielding a bismuth bronze axe that some carpenter brought with himself, stood against the group of the undead, not feeling any pain or fear.

And slaughtered them single-handheldy. His axe skill was adequate, dabbling armor and shield user. Novice dodger. Against those iron-armed undead freaks...

They simply stood no chance.

In the end, he suffered like 1 or 2 bruises, but nothing else.

And that's what I expect of my military commanders. This guy is gonna get a great room once I finish the living quarters part of my tower ( which might be in 2-3 in-game years honestly )

Right now, I barely finished the 2nd year and now I am in Spring. I got the booze situation under control now and the work on my tower is procedding slowly, yet surely.

PS. The only victim of the Siege was another possessed dwarf, after I forgot to slaughter some turkeys for bones. May he and the other one rest in peace in their masterwork chestnut caskets. :P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:21:02 am by KiBoy »
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47509 on: June 02, 2016, 08:05:29 am »

My cage trap caught a weregiraffe lord consort.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47510 on: June 02, 2016, 09:08:56 am »

Ironborn Diaries 5: Ironlake (Ironroad Quest)

Summer 203 Report. 

- As we reached 80+ pop, my phobia kicks in for a flying FB, so we worked on roofing the surface fortress, 3 floors + 4th floor as ceiling.

- Lucky, an FB made of steam that is a flyer and a webbed shows up in the cavern.
Sadly, failed to capture an "FB, made of steam, that is a flyer, and a webber." Apparently, it is immune to cave-in dust, so no stunning despite it being on top of a cage trap during the cave-in dust. 
The FB is trapped between a raised bridge, and under a forbidden hatch cover.  I will have to devise a tunnel to where I want it to make webbed traps.

- More migrants show up, we’re at 97 pop. 

- 8 Temples are created, 1 for non-specific deity; iron chest are made.

- Human siege, 5 of 6 were caught in cage trap.

- Necro siege without undead; 4 sneaking necromancers captured, 6 to 8 mixed elves and humans captured.

- Expanded the weapon and armor stockpiles, to filter out masterwork quality when I start making steel. 

- I succumb to using Steel Giant Axe and auto-melt to level up my weaponsmiths (up to proficient), and Steel Leggings and auto-melt to level up my armorsmiths (up to proficient).  I have 2 separate bone gauntlets artifacts--dunno if I'm going to assign it to someone, maybe a wrestler. 

- We are a candidate for a barony, I chose the dwarf with the highest Leader stats, and he is not in the military--actually hates efforts towards martial prowess or skills.  Sounds like a good noble.

- "Captured necro--will it use the library and write a book" science in the works.  I don't think a capture necro will write a book if it stays hostile. 
- The arena is still under construction, but the necro room with 3 gem windows + 3 fortification + 1x5 raising bridge shutters are done, but need a lever linked still.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47511 on: June 02, 2016, 10:20:40 am »

A roc showed up in my fort. Was promptly shot down and then stabbed in the head by my swordsdwarves. Now I've got over 500 roc meat to tide me over.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47512 on: June 02, 2016, 10:32:57 am »

A roc showed up in my fort. Was promptly shot down and then stabbed in the head by my swordsdwarves. Now I've got over 500 roc meat to tide me over.

Is that just 1 job for any dabbling butcher, or do you need some Legendary Butcher to process all 500? 

Any issue dragging the corpse? or do you build a stockpile on top of the corpse, and a butcher shop next to it? 

How many food haulers will it take to prevent those meat from rotting from too slow food haulers?

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47513 on: June 02, 2016, 10:41:06 am »

Actually, we shot it down pretty close to my outdoor butcher's shop, so the dragging of the corpse time didn't take too long and the processing time for the corpse wasn't too long either. My butchers had been trained through processing the pack animals of elf caravans.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47514 on: June 02, 2016, 12:31:57 pm »

I can add that dragging up the corpse of a resident FB in a reclaim fort about 50 horizontally + 40zish rampway  5x5 spiral didn't result in any of it going bad. Job for just 1 butcher, and fat for just 1 cook.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47515 on: June 02, 2016, 12:52:05 pm »

i foudna nice embark in the mountainside with a brook on the western and southern border and a high rock, yet no trees, so i brought fungiwood along.
i'm shaping the high rock into a tower with a high bridge entrance and a drymoat around it and another drymoat as an outer perimeter.
hopefully my dorfs will be done before the first were*<WHATEVER> arrives.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47516 on: June 02, 2016, 12:58:20 pm »

First siege after 5 years of waiting. Hurrah! Only 10 though, and 7 of them run straight into a kitten baited cage trap battery. No matter.

My marksdorfs are all noobs. I decide the best way to train them up would be a shooting gallery with goblins and whatever vicious local wildlife wanders into my traps. I make a long gallery, with two hatches. One for a staircase to remove bodies and one to dump prisoners in. I leave their weapons and clothing on them, because i want to prolong their misery and train my dorfs. In goes hammergoblin, and marksdorfs shoot at him with wooden bolts

Turns out that wooden bolts have been nerfed. Pre 40.24 they were merely bad. Now they struggle to pierce clothing. Goblin gets some mild cuts and bruises. Sure he'll die soon i think

All marksdorfs empty their quivers, go back for more, and empty their quivers again. Hammergoblin has stopped taking injury. Combat reports show hes dodging and blocking and parrying with the best of them... Alright, looks like i've trained him a little. Nothing i can't manage. I'll just dump a blind cave ogre or two on him. It takes a team of trained dorfs to take one down.

He kills them both, after a brief exchange of blows. I've created a monster. I dare not send my meleedorfs down after him. Eventually i build a trap outside the exit staircase, open the hatch and catch him.

This one won't be shot. Hes my insurance policy against Forgotten Beasts Now. If he slays the next one, he's earnt freedom.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47517 on: June 02, 2016, 02:24:38 pm »

first migrant wave of 3 dorfs:
a beekeeper, a fisherdorf and a talented doctor

now i instantly open DT and check them, everything is fine.
i unpause and soundsense playes battlesounds. i check the announcement window to see that the doctor is fighting the beekeper.
suddenly it says the beekeeper is dead.
i check units and find they were married and have 4 children.
while killing him, she even felt satisfied for improving fighting and striking.
then felt horrified upon the unsuspected death of a beloved one.
WTF?!
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47518 on: June 02, 2016, 02:32:30 pm »

first migrant wave of 3 dorfs:
a beekeeper, a fisherdorf and a talented doctor

now i instantly open DT and check them, everything is fine.
i unpause and soundsense playes battlesounds. i check the announcement window to see that the doctor is fighting the beekeper.
suddenly it says the beekeeper is dead.
i check units and find they were married and have 4 children.
while killing him, she even felt satisfied for improving fighting and striking.
then felt horrified upon the unsuspected death of a beloved one.
WTF?!

Doctoring is a high strain job, sadly these domestic abuse cases come up from time to time...
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47519 on: June 02, 2016, 02:43:58 pm »

i just made a copy of the save and opened it in legends viewer and there is no sign of a reason for that fight.
he gave up beekeeping to become a poet, she gave up armoring to become a doctor, they met, they migrated and then she kills him. i even looked if any of them worshipped a dark deity, but none did. well, i hope she can cope with killing her spouse.
Pages: 1 ... 3166 3167 [3168] 3169 3170 ... 3842