Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3165 3166 [3167] 3168 3169 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128194 times)

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47490 on: May 30, 2016, 06:24:39 pm »

After a long time, I finally decided to activate Invasions.

I promptly got a FB ... it kicked around some cages from cagetraps, then climbed a tree and now refuses to come back down.
Even one of my mechanics, who walked directly below it wasn't of interest to it.

Soooo ... is it an ancestor of elves because of treehugging behaviour, or maybe a cat ? Somehow I envision it sitting there waiting for someone to get it down from there, so it can scratch it's face, constantly meowing to perplex my dorfs  ::)

"Urist McCatMangler likes Forgotten Beasts, for their haunting meows.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47491 on: May 30, 2016, 06:39:08 pm »

After a long time, I finally decided to activate Invasions.

I promptly got a FB ... it kicked around some cages from cagetraps, then climbed a tree and now refuses to come back down.
Even one of my mechanics, who walked directly below it wasn't of interest to it.

Soooo ... is it an ancestor of elves because of treehugging behaviour, or maybe a cat ? Somehow I envision it sitting there waiting for someone to get it down from there, so it can scratch it's face, constantly meowing to perplex my dorfs  ::)

What is it described as?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47492 on: May 31, 2016, 01:10:31 am »

Haunting fog is fun.
Just got a whole squad of wild boar haunting fog husks fighting to kill each other.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47493 on: May 31, 2016, 10:36:53 am »

I'm on my 4th re-roll in my Ironborn saga, but this time around, I made it past year 2, and thriving. 
The Wet Lancer civ is on the northeastern part of the world and expanded an outpost, Ironlakes, to the west.
The region has a lake, and a large stream, and we embarked on the south portion of the region covering the stream which is over 10-tiles wide. 
The 4x4 embark makes it large, but with about 2/3rd accessible land from north to south. 

Interesting neighbors: dwarves, elves, Human (at war), Goblins, and 4x towers. 

Spring 200, we got a siege from the southeast, and about 12 undead.  We have walls, and open bridge to the Depot but the undead never move close to our walls. 
The populations of 16 continue to build the 2nd level walls while having 4 train in military.  A whole year of siege passed and we snuck out to fell trees to the north. 

By year 201, we were tired and recruited everyone to charge.  But the undead decide to exit the map, huh. 
Two more migrant waves came soon.  +15 pop, and +25ish pop. 

SlothPajamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Hear eloquence : Strong Need
    • View Profile
« Reply #47494 on: May 31, 2016, 09:04:02 pm »

Almost to the end of the first year in my current fortress "Muscleconstruct".
I'm at eleven dwarfs but my goal with this fort is to have a majority of it's population be guests who converted to citizens.
In other words, my goal is to unite the world!

And it looks like i may achieve this goal because i just got my so called second migrant wave, and there appears to be literally no dwarves in it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:18:22 pm by SlothPajamas »
Lurking since 2013, i think.
Likes axolotls for their resemblance to a shining sun.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47495 on: May 31, 2016, 09:14:59 pm »

Almost to the end of the first year in my current fortress "Muscleconstruct".
I'm at eleven dwarfs but my goal with this fort is to have a majority of it's population be guests who converted to citizens.
In other words, my goal is to unite the world!

And it looks like i may achieve this goal because i just got my so called second migrant wave, and there appear to be literally no dwarves in it.

I got a migrant wave like that once. Dwarf Therapist said I had migrants, but none actually showed up in my fort.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47496 on: May 31, 2016, 09:58:31 pm »

Having embarked in year 2, it is now year 13 of the new fort.  Fertility in this fort is WAY low.  Despite letting my animals breed uncontrolled, I have received only 4 horse foals (not a problem really, because I want/need 0 horses) and just over a dozen sheep in 11 years.  The cats, dogs, and wolves don't seem affected by this, but the dwarves definitely are: the fort's population is only 19.  It should be in the 30s by now.

The low population growth has definitely made food management easier.  I literally just started growing food this year.  Previously I bought food, usually off the human caravan as they bring a bewildering variety of seafood.

We had three kobold thieves show up twice a year or so, until one day the dogs decided to go medieval on them.  I now have three named dogs.  I have yet to figure out what makes the dogs and wolves aggressive, because sometimes keas set them off and sometimes they don't seem concerned about anything.

One of the starting dwarves likes cats.  I seem to remember in earlier versions that dwarves would only adopt (or be adopted by) a maximum of four pets.  This dwarf has (I just counted them) 22 cats at the moment.  At least he gets frequent happy thoughts from interacting with them?  That's the up side?

The wall still isn't finished, but I anticipate having it done before the fort's first kiddo grows up.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47497 on: May 31, 2016, 10:28:54 pm »

After clear-cutting the surface and 1st cavern several years ago, my embark has been flooded with over 6k logs that I've been trading away and otherwise trying to get rid of. I managed to get rid of about 2k over several years of trading, but the hauling went very slowly due to cave adaptation and the need to haul other stuff.

Just recently, a stegosaur titan with fire breath showed up. I carefully positioned my squads at the bottom of the plateau the titan arrived from. As expected, it breathed fire on the z-level above and proceeded to engage my dwarves on the z-level below. He was struck down without incident.

Cue my dwarves bringing wheelbarrows to gather logs from right around the burning area (because that's what dorfs do.) It was amusing to watch them path around the expanding flames and cancel as their wheelbarrows burst into flames. As exciting as that was, I decided to forbid the logs on the plateau before anyone's ☼hemp robes☼ burst into flames.

The fire spread to the z-level below via a tree. At this point most of my dwarves were hauling goblin corpses from the other side of the map to the refuse stockpile in my fort (for magma cremation.) Eventually, the fire spread too close and I had to set the civilian alert confining them inside. The fire unexpectedly crossed the brook (via two conveniently placed trees) to the side the corpses were on, but was unable to reach them across a constructed wooden floor path I had recently completed after the siege. Looks like my haulers aren't getting off easy.

After the fire finished cleansing the surface, I was down 1k logs and up 5 fps (~25 from ~20.)
That was satisfying!

Spoiler: Large Picture (click to show/hide)

One of the collapsing trees took out the road surrounding my subterranean depot, but I was going to repave it with constructed tiles anyway. I was also having trouble keeping an eye on a wild GCS during all the collapse-recenters (now disabled) but managed to get a cage trap replaced in time to capture it.

Now to see if I can set my cavern on fire using magma...

Edit: Nope. Too many z-level changes in the cavern to spread reliably.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:48:13 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47498 on: June 01, 2016, 06:38:34 am »

I got back into DF after a quite long absence ( haven't played in well over a year ), so I decided to download the latest version, ( 43.03 ) gen a new world and settle near a necromancer's tower. After bringing 7 uneducated dwarves ( all peasants ) and LOTS of Turkeys ( for their eggs and maybe leather ) the Grandtowers of Fondling was founded.

Things have been looking pretty well since the start ( got some decent hematite vein, started making some iron, cut lots of trees, made my quantum stockpiles for optimal setup and to avoid FPS death ) I was slowly progressing through the first year. Only major difficulty was lack of drunk idiots workers, as the first migrant wave brought only 3 people ( second even outdone it with just two ). There wasn't much happening in the first year, maybe with the exception of my carpenter having a strange mood. Due to the lack of raw green glass he was requesting, he eventually went insane after a human caravan arrived ( they only had crystal glass ). As such, the Grandtowers of Fondling had their first casaulty as I was forced to dehydrate the ungrateful bastard dearly missed carpenter. I'm yet to make a slab for him though, but that's because of a different problem.

About 1 and a half year in, an undead siege came. About 30 zombies, most of them being treehumpers elves, I had to stop my population of 40 ( third migrant wave roughly tripled my population, about 30 of them only haul for now ) had to halt building my microcline tower. While no dwarves have been hurt as I closed my gate, my war dogs and other animals which have been pastured outside have been torn to shreds, save for some stray Llama who KEEPS evading the zombies for a month or two now. By this point they must've ran out of ammo.

Right now, I'm digging a tunnel to connect the lowest floor of the microcline tower with my current settlement. I made an airlock of sorts filled with cage traps, as my militia which consist of an adequate and dabbling axedwarves seems like a bad, albeit !!FUN!! way to settle this.

The necromancer disappeared as soon as he appeared. Pretty sure the bastard is still hiding somewhere.

PS. Also, do you remember I mentioned the Turkeys? Well, hilariously enough, I brought only a single Hen ( female ) and all the rest being Gobblers ( male ) instead the other way around. Since then I had hatched poults growing into about 8 Hens. All save 3 of the Gobblers have been slaughtered for leather, skull totems and bone bolts ( don't like wasting stuff ).

I'll write more after I get rid of those undead meatbags.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #47499 on: June 01, 2016, 06:54:54 am »

I'm making a fort where the only defence is the military. Aboveground most-things. When MW gets more playable then I'll switch to orcs for this .
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47500 on: June 01, 2016, 10:27:35 am »

Ironborn Diaries 5: Ironlake (Ironroad Quest)

Summer 202 Report. 

- More migrants show up, we’re close to 80 pop.  There is a mad scramble for beds. Smoothing 4 shared bedrooms that can house 12 beds each, with private storage of 1 cabinet, and 2 coffers each.

- A second tower is being built, and this time, a double 3x10 retracting bridge trap is being set up. The 2z pit still needs to be dug and smoothed and filled with 60 cage traps.

- I am having a paralysis analysis with the troops.  Puzzle: 80 pop, how many military, how many workers?  I will have to revise the Ironborn Rules.

- Recruit Uniform: iron helm, iron mail shirt, iron high boots, iron weapon.  Issue, no one is wearing iron high boot, unless I set the uniform to replace.

- We have 12 Keas, and 30+ undead in cages.  The mass pitting 11x13 arena is in progress. 9 hatches, 2z drop onto platinum bar floor.  1x10 shutters from both sides.  2 1x1 gladiator entry.

- Necromancer viewing box onto arena floor.  1x5 shutter. 1x3 fortification layer. 1x3 gem windows. dwarf necro cage to be linked.  locked door to exit. 

- Expanded necro door exit. left up to locked hatch, Library of Irons.
- Expanded necro door north, cage trap.
- Expanded necro door exit. right up to locked hatch, Dark Tomes (Library).

- Magma Forge and stock pile sorting is set.  9 magma forge, and 15 magma smelters are up.  8 nickle minecarts are also filled with magma, ready for more use.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47501 on: June 01, 2016, 11:07:22 am »

My chickens are distracted...

Why are my chickens distracted?

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47502 on: June 01, 2016, 12:42:35 pm »

It's a bug. Seems harmless though.
Akur Akir Akam!

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47503 on: June 01, 2016, 01:27:49 pm »

Can't sleep ... dwarves will eat me ...
Can't sleep ... dwarves will eat me ...
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #47504 on: June 01, 2016, 04:13:29 pm »

After over five years of peace, interrupted only by the intrusion of a lesser wyrm now caged and providing practice for animal trainers, Shadyriddled has faced its first attack by armed enemies.  As sieges go, it wasn't impressive - a single squad of ten, a mix of dwarves and humans, all wearing the emblem of the Gold of Strength.  But I'll give them full marks for determination; they didn't call off the attack until only a single, crippled member of the squad survived.  The enemy brought only two crossbows, neither in skilled hands.  They were completely outclassed by the bonestorm of Shadyriddled when I stationed our two half-squads of sentries near the unfinished portion of the Great Wall to engage them across the moat.  Although bone bolts proved wholly ineffective against the enemy's breastplates and helmets, our soldiers quickly proved the value of the marksmanship training program's emphasis on kneecaps.  The lovely Ber Lambsavage, Smith of Ages, had success disarming enemies with trickier shots to the hands, and one of our masons, Malduz Eastcraze, earned the title of Sniper with an incredible shot to the enemy marksdwarf's neck.  Only one bolt made it past our ≡wooden shields≡ in return, and the injured mudokom is expected to make a full recovery from his broken ankle.  All in all, a productive and entertaining training session for the sentries of Shadyriddled.

I sent one melee squad to the bottom of the moat, to finish off anyone who slipped over the edge during the bonestorm.  The other squad, composed of ylth mercenaries (and ylth bards looking for a little excitement), was supposed to head out from the front gate and travel around the moat to clean up the enemies that the sentries crippled.  However, most of them chose to take a 'shortcut' through the moat and scale its outer wall right next to the enemy.  The injuries caused by the bonestorm and the sheer physical power of the ylth warriors allowed them to carry through despite this risky and inefficient approach, and five enemies fell to their blades.  Two succumbed to bone bolts in vital locations, and three took the fall to the rough-carved shale at the bottom of the moat.  The first of these was the human crossbowman, who crawled off with a broken leg to explore the heavily trapped lower gate of Shadyriddled; he was the last invader to die, and the quickest.  The second landed just as most of the melee fighters were arriving at that corner of the moat.  An ylth took his head off so forcefully that it flew six levels into the air before falling.  The third was a swordswarf, the only enemy to give any serious trouble.  She held her own against two ylth, inflicting moderate injuries upon one before she was shoved over the edge.  She fell right in the midst of the other squad, which made quick and very messy work of her before she could recover from the landing.

The final results: four patients in the hospital.  Our healer should be pleased; he's been complaining about having no opportunities to practice his art.  Ten bodies in or next to the moat, unfortunately useless.  A nice pile of weapons and armor - some of it usable, some worth melting down for metal, and some valuable as trade goods.  No survivors to report on the details of the battle.  The Gold of Strength is welcome to come back and investigate any time.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.
Pages: 1 ... 3165 3166 [3167] 3168 3169 ... 3842