Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3164 3165 [3166] 3167 3168 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128373 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47475 on: May 28, 2016, 10:36:33 pm »

You mean besides the hard-coded two waves in year 1?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47476 on: May 28, 2016, 11:28:44 pm »

Embarked on an island and still got regular migrant waves.
I take they drowned on arrival?
No. I mean it is a small island on the world map, but still large enough to span several screens.

You mean besides the hard-coded two waves in year 1?
Yeah.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #47477 on: May 28, 2016, 11:36:54 pm »

Started a smallish fort to do some long term testing while I'm trying to get my potions working.  Right now I have 24 citizens, 1 mercenary, and 25 resident bards and performers.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47478 on: May 29, 2016, 12:27:48 am »

Caravan just arrived, and along with it came the message "No outpost liaison? How curious..."

Has anyone else ever gotten this? Does anyone know what it means?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47479 on: May 29, 2016, 12:42:07 am »

Caravan just arrived, and along with it came the message "No outpost liaison? How curious..."

Has anyone else ever gotten this? Does anyone know what it means?
Perhaps your civ don't have a king currently? Because the liaison needs to be appointed by your monarch.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47480 on: May 29, 2016, 12:43:05 am »

No, I just checked the Civ tab. I've got a queen.

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47481 on: May 29, 2016, 08:01:21 am »

Currently suffering from time travellers.

Also a forgotten beast made of vomit that spits webs everywhere stole an =iron shield= off one of my dwarves and killed 22 people in a single strike. The lucky spearman who took its head off is now the mayor, using that shield.

I also currently have about 5 scholars sitting there pondering ethics but none of the bastards want to write about it.
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47482 on: May 29, 2016, 04:29:55 pm »

A seven-year test of libraries in .43.03 comes to the conclusion ... probably not worth it with rookies?

Four randomly-chosen dwarfs with no prior academic skills produced seven books in seven years. Skill advancement was abysmal (and that's putting it nicely) - massive round-the-clock pondering/discussing gave about one skill level per two years, and only for two of them: one gained a few levels in tracker and wrote a book about animal foraging, the other gained three levels of critical thinking but never wrote anything. Another dwarf made a breakthrough in archeology and wrote a book about that.
The other five books were random garbage - tourist's guide of the fort, private memoirs. I also turned eight soldiers into scholars, to see whether they'd make a military academy or whether their massive teacher/student skills had any benefit. No such luck, they produced one commentary on the archeology book in two years, that was it. 46 dwarf-years of research, eight written objects, of which three of academic interest. I guess you'll have to embark with proper scholars or attract them as guests, training on the job looks pointless. If the willingness to write anything at all depends on the writer skill, you'll really have to spend embark points on it - you definitely won't get notable skill (or an appreciable number of books) when "dabbling" basically means one book per ten years per dwarf :P

It didn't help that the dwarven civ has no real base - king and barons, liaison and caravan all exist, but dwarf isn't a playable adventurer type (even after retiring the fort) and the caravan never brought finished books.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47483 on: May 29, 2016, 11:10:23 pm »

A seven-year test of libraries in .43.03 comes to the conclusion ... probably not worth it with rookies?

Four randomly-chosen dwarfs with no prior academic skills produced seven books in seven years. Skill advancement was abysmal (and that's putting it nicely) - massive round-the-clock pondering/discussing gave about one skill level per two years, and only for two of them: one gained a few levels in tracker and wrote a book about animal foraging, the other gained three levels of critical thinking but never wrote anything. Another dwarf made a breakthrough in archeology and wrote a book about that.
The other five books were random garbage - tourist's guide of the fort, private memoirs. I also turned eight soldiers into scholars, to see whether they'd make a military academy or whether their massive teacher/student skills had any benefit. No such luck, they produced one commentary on the archeology book in two years, that was it. 46 dwarf-years of research, eight written objects, of which three of academic interest. I guess you'll have to embark with proper scholars or attract them as guests, training on the job looks pointless. If the willingness to write anything at all depends on the writer skill, you'll really have to spend embark points on it - you definitely won't get notable skill (or an appreciable number of books) when "dabbling" basically means one book per ten years per dwarf :P

It didn't help that the dwarven civ has no real base - king and barons, liaison and caravan all exist, but dwarf isn't a playable adventurer type (even after retiring the fort) and the caravan never brought finished books.

Maybe a low level of writer means that the dwarves are barely literate? Maybe Toady might make a school location where dwarves are taught things like reading and writing?

You know, I've never even thought much about the bookmaking business. I might give it a go...

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47484 on: May 30, 2016, 12:13:16 am »

A Vile Force of Darkness has arrived!

Good job, goblins! About time. It's only taken you about five years to join the party. Two werecreatures, a cyclops, and an ettin already beat you here.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47485 on: May 30, 2016, 01:26:57 am »

Good job, goblins! About time. It's only taken you about five years to join the party. Two werecreatures, a cyclops, and an ettin already beat you here.

What were the prizes for those that arrived first?
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47486 on: May 30, 2016, 02:55:45 am »

Securing a walled courtyard and greeting passage for future invaders is an incredibly long-term project when the working adult population is 7.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47487 on: May 30, 2016, 07:31:18 am »

My company of barely trained mercenaries went up against a forgotten beast. It got enraged, slew every last one of them, and bled to death atop a pile of their corpses. These guys are getting golden tombs.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47488 on: May 30, 2016, 09:10:24 am »

What were the prizes for those that arrived first?

Death and dismemberment.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47489 on: May 30, 2016, 09:20:10 am »

After a long time, I finally decided to activate Invasions.

I promptly got a FB ... it kicked around some cages from cagetraps, then climbed a tree and now refuses to come back down.
Even one of my mechanics, who walked directly below it wasn't of interest to it.

Soooo ... is it an ancestor of elves because of treehugging behaviour, or maybe a cat ? Somehow I envision it sitting there waiting for someone to get it down from there, so it can scratch it's face, constantly meowing to perplex my dorfs  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 3164 3165 [3166] 3167 3168 ... 3842