Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3163 3164 [3165] 3166 3167 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128383 times)

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47460 on: May 27, 2016, 05:56:58 am »

Yes. Stepladders will be used automatically by dwarves with the Herbalism labour turned on in an activity zone used for gathering fruits/plants from trees.

AND, thats why i love this forum. Thank you again guys.

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47461 on: May 27, 2016, 11:42:40 am »

Holy Armok!!

A human caravan was here, I've traded and give them a nice tavern to drink and be happy and then they depart...

but......

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And when I (z)oom to location, guide me to the way out of the caravan...

Armok damn those bastards!!!

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47462 on: May 27, 2016, 11:43:50 am »

Yeah, that happens in the last version. Apparently that bug was fixed in the newest version. I just deal with the happiness loss by having them make more masterworks.

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47463 on: May 27, 2016, 11:45:54 am »

Yeah, that happens in the last version. Apparently that bug was fixed in the newest version. I just deal with the happiness loss by having them make more masterworks.

Oh... it is a bug? Thought they were thieves or something...

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47464 on: May 27, 2016, 11:55:41 am »

Yeah, it was a bug where trading masterwork items counted as them being lost/destroyed.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47465 on: May 27, 2016, 12:28:34 pm »

Using the same map world-gen (1 cavern, 30-50z from surface to SMR) as I'm familiar now with "The Wet Lancers" dwarf civ from the northeastern area. 

It's the year 199, and 2 other dwarf civs among plenty of goblins, humans, elves, and at least 5 towers reside in this small world.

In chapter 1, "Ironborn: The City of Iron" the idea was to build in the middle with neighbors of goblins, humans, elves, and 4 towers.  The open gate policy did not last as the 40+ undead sieges was too much for the first winter. 

In chapter 2, Ironborn: Tower Defense" the idea was to build tower bunkers around 20 tiles away from each other.  It is a sound idea, but the lack of personnel to carry out such a project  left the towers unfinished and undefended when the goblins decide to invade.

--

In chapter 3, "Ironborn Diaries: Tower Defender" spawns a new idea of a more epic goal.  We start an embark, nearest the western most fortress of The Wet Lancers.

The goals are:
1. Build one main fortress, above-ground, walled, crenelated fortifications (yes, gated). 
2. Build a tower bunker, one for each embark tile region to protect the roads. 
3. Build "mine cart tracks grid system" over (surface or elevated) roads both north-south, and east-west.   
  Roads are around 48 tiles part, at at least 5 wide.
4. Equip and train an iron-wielding army.
5. Retire and repeat to a new, expanding to the west, connecting the roads.

Progress.  In a 4x4 embark, a crossroad tower is build to house the wagon, with option to build 12 bedrooms above. 

After measurements of the entire land are made, the fortress construction began.  Fortunately, where are solid dry area to pass the aquifer. 
Year 201 has come, and the population is around 50. 
16 loads of magma-filled minecart began 6 smelters and 2 magma forges.

There are 8 marksdwarf from novice to adequate that have yet to go full time training.
The current focus is to furnish bedrooms for up to 120 population. 

The expedition leader mooded a bronze legging, he now wears it and came the militia commander armed with a crossbow.  He is still the Master Brewer.

Two other moods are both Armor Stands.  These are placed on the surface, in the middle of the walled fortress, awaiting barracks training.

No sieges so far, and the humans traded with us.  There is at least 1 tower neighbor. 

I think 10 marksdwarves, and 10 mixed melee will begin training.

If towers are built, it will take a while to connect them underground as each will required breaching from below, and no underground drainage has been carved yet.

Wedolko

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Military Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #47466 on: May 27, 2016, 06:49:19 pm »

I set up in an evil volcano where it rained elf blood, nicknaming my dorfs with names appropriate to their jobs, and decided to got with "Hammer" for my zombie-slayer "chisel" for my stone worker, and "rock" for one of my miners.

The last thing I saw before abandoning the site was zombie hammer and chisel beating the hell out of rock while bathing in elf blood.

Dwarf Fortress
-In a time before time DF spammed me with 50 pages of useless text

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47467 on: May 28, 2016, 12:56:05 am »

So I think I made a mistake worthy of the face-palm thread.

My current fortress is one that I want to have as above-ground as possible, so on the first floor of my fort I have my hospital and my well that I'm filling up manually from the nearby river (and causing me no end of headaches with how long that's taking. I really should just tunnel a path to it to fill it up). However, because it's "above ground", even though the hole they're dumping water into is classified as "Inside", it froze all the way down the tube.

I have a feeling this is going to take some work to fix properly.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47468 on: May 28, 2016, 01:41:22 am »

Giant giraffes are too fast.
My militia just can't catch them on their short legs. ::)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47469 on: May 28, 2016, 05:17:13 am »

So I think I made a mistake worthy of the face-palm thread.

My current fortress is one that I want to have as above-ground as possible, so on the first floor of my fort I have my hospital and my well that I'm filling up manually from the nearby river (and causing me no end of headaches with how long that's taking. I really should just tunnel a path to it to fill it up). However, because it's "above ground", even though the hole they're dumping water into is classified as "Inside", it froze all the way down the tube.

I have a feeling this is going to take some work to fix properly.
If you want to have above-ground well in freezing climate, you're going to need to make it a magma well :P - i.e. magma under the floor water. sits on.

Unfortunately, magma will consistently only melt the tiles above, below and 8 squares on the side on same level. (Wiki suggests heat transfer depends on material as well as heat from magma being calced beyond the nearest tiles, but that's my experience with running magma river under actual river.

If you manage to get multi-z water not freezing in winter and above-ground, can you drop me a PM? Seems like it'd be quite a temperature management challenge since there's not much room between "never touched by magma" and "vaporized by magma".

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47470 on: May 28, 2016, 09:48:09 am »

Hey guys!
This time the fortress was invaded by a two-headed giant.
I was really really tempted to "die" comand at DFHack and restart the game, since the game was saved 30 minutes earlier
But isntead I've decided to have some !FUN! and then, let it go.
Of course I've tried to raise the main bridge, but somehow I forgot to link the lever with the bridge (YAY, more !FUN!)
When I realize it was too late, of course, but I order to link both with (n)priority...
There comes more !FUN!, everytime the dorf tried to link them, he got scaried by giant.
Well, the giant came into the fortress and went to the Trade Depot area, that leads to the tavern by a tunnel (I know, crazy layout)
Everyone who was there began a fight with the !funny monster!
Both of my hunter dogs, and his trainer, were there.
To cut the story, one dog is now toothless.
And I have a two-headed giant corpse laying at my Trade Depot entrance.

The thing is... HOW can I remove the corpse from there? It is causing miasma, and I don't think it is funny...
Oh, and the other thing. He killed one of my dorf (yes, just one of them!)
I've made and placed a engraved slab for her but the corpse still at the same place, I'm missing something?

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #47471 on: May 28, 2016, 09:58:58 am »

Do you have a Corpse Stockpile?
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47472 on: May 28, 2016, 04:09:27 pm »

Do you have a Corpse Stockpile?

Oh well.... about that...

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47473 on: May 28, 2016, 07:21:06 pm »

Embarked on an island and still got regular migrant waves.

----------------

Carp has given birth to a carp fry.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:39:05 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47474 on: May 28, 2016, 10:28:42 pm »

Embarked on an island and still got regular migrant waves.
I take they drowned on arrival?
Pages: 1 ... 3163 3164 [3165] 3166 3167 ... 3842