Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3162 3163 [3164] 3165 3166 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128696 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47445 on: May 25, 2016, 10:34:42 pm »

Any suggestions on projects?
Automatic ice encaser that safely dumps the corpses into your fort responsive enough to deal with clown car is one I'm thinking of when doing a glacier embark.
Not ALL of the pond was frozen. Only some of it.

I've built and placed slabs to put restless spirits to rest.
Eh, they might have kept fishing after coming back from the dead - not sure if that still works, though, but animal trainers and fisherdwarves at least used to keep on performing their jobs as ghosts.

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47446 on: May 26, 2016, 10:25:50 am »

Ok, one of dorfs got possessed and now requests bones and metal bars.

A few minutes earlier a goblin-thief attack the fortress and my quick-made-squad succed to kill him.

So, my question is:

It is possible to "butcher" the mangled corpse to get some bones to my possessed dorf?

AND, how many time a possessed dorf remain "possessed". I mean, I don't have metal bars, nor magma to craft them, so Im planning to wait until next caravan arrives to buy one from them.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47447 on: May 26, 2016, 10:50:11 am »

Do you have metal ores and wood? If yes, build a wood furnace and make charcoal. Use the charcoal to smelt the ores into bars, which your dorf will then be able to use. It's better for him/her to become a legendary something than to lose that dwarf to insanity, even better if said dwarf claimed a metalsmith's forge.

Also, unless you edit the raws so that your dwarves will butcher and eat sentients (like those cursed elves do), you can't butcher the enemies you kill for bones, meat, and such.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47448 on: May 26, 2016, 11:02:07 am »

In previous versions, it used to be that you could get craftable bones out of sentients by air-dropping them a large enough depth that they splatter.

Also, possessed doesn't give any exp Urist. Still, an artifact provided subterran tiles (might be a concern on low height nanoforts) or produced items are not in short supply.

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47449 on: May 26, 2016, 11:10:23 am »

Do you have metal ores and wood? If yes, build a wood furnace and make charcoal. Use the charcoal to smelt the ores into bars

Yes, actually I did it, thank you. But seems that the silver bars that I have made can not reach him, what I have to do to ensure that the bars will be delivered to him?

About the bones.. meh, I do not have a high place to drop the corpse and don't know how to edit the raws. Probly gonna butcher the cow or bull... I think will solve my problems (??) maybe..

(EDIT)

HEY!!

Butchered the yak and he went to butcher workshop, gather the bones and then the silver and started the mysterious work.

Thnk you guys.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:14:39 am by LordBalkan »

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47450 on: May 26, 2016, 11:12:05 am »

If he needs bones for his mood and their higher up in his list of mats to gather he'll want the bones before he goes after the metal bars, so slaughtering an animal will certainly help you there.

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47451 on: May 26, 2016, 11:23:53 am »

If he needs bones for his mood and their higher up in his list of mats to gather he'll want the bones before he goes after the metal bars, so slaughtering an animal will certainly help you there.

And there it is:

Othsesh Agsethkanzud, "Knotsockets the Achin Convent", a yak bone greavs

This is a yak bone greaves. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with yak bone.
On the item is an image of Od Graveghost the night freak and dwarves in silver. Od Graveghost is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates do the rise of the night freak Od Graveghost as an enemy of The Fortitication of Packing in the early autumn of 44 during The Rampage of the night freak Od Graveghost in Mansionvales.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47452 on: May 26, 2016, 12:03:47 pm »

Aw. Would have been nice if it had been a piece of furniture or even shield. A moody bonecarver with no preferences can make almost anything, even if their normal output is practically useful mainly for bolts and civilian armor.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47453 on: May 26, 2016, 12:10:06 pm »

Started a new embark that I want to use as my first mainly surface fort. Already cut down loads of trees for wood and figured out the layout for what I want to do, now I just need to work on building appropriately now that I've got my initial perimeter wall built.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47454 on: May 26, 2016, 07:37:54 pm »

Embarked near a volcano.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47455 on: May 26, 2016, 08:56:57 pm »

You guys know that the DF menus can be stunning sometimes.

Right now I'm searching for the option to place "Stepladders" and already looked every single menu... and didnt find it.

So... can anyone help me?  :-[

Embarked near a volcano.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Embarked at top of the mountain and made the way down? My "DF Skills" do not include magma-pump.... yet... just having some fun at peacefull places since theres no invasions till now

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47456 on: May 26, 2016, 10:06:40 pm »

Also, if you have at least 20 dwarves and lot of workshop you can just go j-m for manager and give order there without caring whether it is made in carpentry or woodcrafting or farmer's or what have you (though yeah, the menus are rather...rich in a way that makes one's eyes skip over).

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47457 on: May 26, 2016, 10:11:50 pm »

Also, if you have at least 20 dwarves and lot of workshop you can just go j-m for manager and give order there without caring whether it is made in carpentry or woodcrafting or farmer's or what have you (though yeah, the menus are rather...rich in a way that makes one's eyes skip over).

Oh... ah.. i meant "Place" the stepladder... or it is not necessary? Just use (i)zones and make a "pick fruits" one?
anyways, thank you :D

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47458 on: May 26, 2016, 10:15:05 pm »

Yes. Stepladders will be used automatically by dwarves with the Herbalism labour turned on in an activity zone used for gathering fruits/plants from trees.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47459 on: May 27, 2016, 12:10:24 am »

So a Werebear just showed up outside my fortress, right near where my first squad of dwarves was training at their weapon rack. So 5 dwarves rush at the lycanthrope and start attacking it, and all of them have only reached novice skill with their weapons. Pages of missing attacks later, they finally manage to bring it down, but not before one of their number was bitten and thrashed around in the head. Brought the affected dwarf to the hospital and promptly forbid the door until she fortunately turned. The squad was then brought in and given the grisly task of putting her down. Unfortunately, civilian dwarves decided to get in on the action and a Herbalist of the Starting Seven was bitten and had her right leg torn off. She likely will not survive the loss of that limb.

Thusly the first two casualties of the hamlet Abirdastot *Romanceswords* have been incurred.
Pages: 1 ... 3162 3163 [3164] 3165 3166 ... 3842