Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3161 3162 [3163] 3164 3165 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128698 times)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47430 on: May 24, 2016, 08:25:33 pm »

The miner dodges the attack from the giant cave spider!
Urist McMiner has fallen to his death.

I'm still not very good at this.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47431 on: May 24, 2016, 09:13:47 pm »

So, I started up a fort fairly close to a goblin dark fortress, and...

Half the guys down there are listed as visitors, the other are invaders. I might've just created a loyalty cascade with my mere existance.
That made my night, thank you :)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47432 on: May 24, 2016, 09:56:31 pm »

Also, ice has melted under my dwarves while they were fishing. Many were killed.
Wait, what? How were they fishing if the water was frozen?
Akur Akir Akam!

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47433 on: May 24, 2016, 10:19:50 pm »

Also, ice has melted under my dwarves while they were fishing. Many were killed.

How did the first dwarven anvil get made?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47434 on: May 24, 2016, 10:23:11 pm »

I can only assume that part of the river was still in a warm enough zone to not freeze, and the fisherdwarves were standing on the ice. >.o

That made my night, thank you :)

Hate to ruin that moment, but they never did get to infighting. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #47435 on: May 24, 2016, 10:45:15 pm »

A dragon turned up and blasted fire at the drawbridge that provides the only direct access to my fort, melting it before he could cross.  Now he's stuck outside, wandering around and randomly setting stuff on fire while I use my scant supply of mechanisms to put together a special temporary entrance, just for him.

The merchants are trapped inside now, but they earned my approval by bringing a generous supply of precious ore, so I'll try to get them all off the map alive.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47436 on: May 25, 2016, 02:04:55 am »

An ettin just arrived, right close to where a couple of my marksdwarves were on patrol. They shot it dead before it could move from the map's edge. Now I'm Danger Room training some human mercs that wanted to join my militia to get their armour skill up to snuff with my dwarves.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 02:06:32 am by Urist McShire »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47437 on: May 25, 2016, 07:08:43 am »

-snip-
The merchants are trapped inside now, but they earned my approval by bringing a generous supply of precious ore, so I'll try to get them all off the map alive.

if your caves extend past the border of your embark, you can have them leave the embark undergrund :)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47438 on: May 25, 2016, 09:01:37 am »

Not ALL of the pond was frozen. Only some of it.

EDIT: Oddom Kubukotad (Lancedhand), a Chemist, has discovered the construction and use of laboratory ovens.

I've built and placed slabs to put restless spirits to rest.

EDIT THE SECOND: Meyi Odaidare Thalu Coce, a mountain Titan, has appeared. A great hairy gecko, with thin wings of stretched skin and a regal bearing. Its dark indigo hair is long and shaggy. Beware its poisonous bite!

Or, well, have the human merchants kill the beast for you. Yeah, that'll work.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:03:30 am by AzyWng »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47439 on: May 25, 2016, 10:21:01 am »

Not ALL of the pond was frozen. Only some of it.

That's hat I guessed, yeah. Only with rivers, as that has a much higher chance of being only partially in a freeze zone. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

metsis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47440 on: May 25, 2016, 12:20:53 pm »

My fortress has been crippled, and effectively killed by a lama-hair zombie. I have no way of dealing with it since the hair is in a central node of my fortress. It was fun at first, but with all the unresolved glitches/bugs associated with undead creatures it's just more annoying than fun or enjoyable.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #47441 on: May 25, 2016, 06:16:14 pm »

-snip-

if your caves extend past the border of your embark, you can have them leave the embark undergrund :)
I could have done that if there wasn't still an aquifer in the way, yes.  But I tend to make inefficient, oversized pump arrays to drill through aquifers unless I'm really trying to rush, and this fort is intended to be mainly surface built anyway, so no cavern access yet.  Hence the importance of getting plenty of ore from the caravans.

The next caravan was followed almost immediately by a bronze colossus.  I was getting set to route it into my cage traps, like the dragon, but a caravan guard took it down with a steel axe without getting hit even once.  Tough guards this season.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

wedoko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47442 on: May 25, 2016, 07:53:53 pm »

Just embarked on a sinister volcano in an attempt to save my chosen dwarven civilization from an icy death, because the civilization started out to close to the north pole it was never able to expand from lack of resources and a forgotten beast, titian, and goblin attack witch was lead by a demon whom a dwarven general killed. It's amazing these dwarfs are alive at all when they only have one fortress, so I am rewarding them with a new capital on a volcano a a little to the south of their current one.

I have never played in a evil environment or a volcano, but I've heard they are very fun.

Any suggestions on projects?

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47443 on: May 25, 2016, 08:24:17 pm »

I haven't done an evil biome embark myself, but I would try to avoid rain and I'm not sure about whether or not reuse stockpiles anywhere re-animate or if that's just refuse and corpses that are outside.

Regardless, I would initiate a reserves program so that most, if not all, dwarves have armour and a degree of combat readiness.

wedoko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47444 on: May 25, 2016, 09:22:26 pm »

UPDATE:

THIS IS THE SINGLE BEST EMBARK SITE THAT HAS EVER EXISTED
http://imgur.com/TAlXvvw

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:24:41 pm by wedoko »
Pages: 1 ... 3161 3162 [3163] 3164 3165 ... 3842