Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3160 3161 [3162] 3163 3164 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128706 times)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47415 on: May 22, 2016, 11:15:41 am »

I'm being haunted by a gelded ghost. Is that normal?
Akur Akir Akam!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47416 on: May 22, 2016, 11:51:48 am »

I'm being haunted by a gelded ghost. Is that normal?

So basically your undead went and pulled an Osiris? o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47417 on: May 22, 2016, 12:08:50 pm »

I found a Dwarf civ that had a treaty with a Goblin Civ and basically fused together to best a mutual enemy (I think it was some Uber-Strong cyclops), so I've been trying to get a goblin to join my fort so that I can produce Goblin-civ masks. My idea is to have my fortress guards be religious Cultists, complete with uniforms of adamantine robes and bizarre metal masks. The captain would be one of the performers from my fort's temple, I think. At least, that's a long term plan.

Having other races join your fort DOES let you craft their civ-specific items, right? I think that's how it works...

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47418 on: May 22, 2016, 12:40:22 pm »

I don't really understand it. My first thought was that he must have died violently and been gelded during that, but his memorial reports he died "peacefully" at the age of 152, so I have no idea, unless all undead have that mark? They don't, do they? I guess it would sort of make sense considering undead can't reproduce, but I've certainly never noticed it before.
Akur Akir Akam!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47419 on: May 22, 2016, 01:27:46 pm »

I don't really understand it. My first thought was that he must have died violently and been gelded during that, but his memorial reports he died "peacefully" at the age of 152, so I have no idea, unless all undead have that mark? They don't, do they? I guess it would sort of make sense considering undead can't reproduce, but I've certainly never noticed it before.
Ghosts don't have lower bodies, so they don't have nads.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47420 on: May 22, 2016, 10:41:30 pm »

So, I started up a fort fairly close to a goblin dark fortress, and...

Half the guys down there are listed as visitors, the other are invaders. I might've just created a loyalty cascade with my mere existance.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47421 on: May 23, 2016, 02:33:48 am »

So after a dragon caused a forest fire and killed two of my civilian dwarves before a Hammer Lord solo'd her by essentially jumping on her back from above and bashing her over and over again with her masterwork silver war hammer until she died, the elves showed up again for the fifth year in a row, and they still weren't mad at me for offering them nothing but wooden goods every other year they showed up. So I ordered all but one of their merchants put to the mace by the squad that even includes my Duke just to incite them into sending an army at me next year. Come at me, Elves! I can take ye! Combatcloistered will never fall!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47422 on: May 23, 2016, 03:00:10 am »

Well. That was perhaps the shortest-lived kobold camp ever. First the enemies on the opther side of the river chased us off with a hail of bolts and arrows. Then an alligator tagged along to eat more of the civilians and animals. Then a crossbow goblin made it across the river (presumably climbed the trees) and followed us into the emergency shelter we dug waaay out of bolt range. By that time we were down to 3 out of 7 kobolds.

By then we'd hit an aquifer, almost all the supplies were still in the wagon, we couldn't fish from the river due to the enemies on the other side, and the aquifer wasn't a viable fishing source. So I hatched a plan. Dig along to the river, set up a "dig from beneath a bridge" trick to breach the river at will. Supporting this would be a small chamber with a dog pastured inside as bait, the intent being to dig under the river and give the goblin army a tunnel to the other side, quickly bugger out of the danger zone and forbid a hatch so they'd be stuck mauling a dog by the time we opened the river to them.

Then I fucked up and tunneled into the river instead of going up adjacent to it.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47423 on: May 23, 2016, 10:44:45 am »

Checked my artifact list to see how expensive my newly created obsidan bracelet was worth, and then I see there's a book there... Mysteries of The Dwarf, a bone-opal bound codex... It contains the secrets to life and death... Someone here is a necromancer. After setting it to f2 and waiting for an obscene amount of time, the screen finally moved- it's the outpost liaison. He's not just here to liase about my fort, he's also here to spread the dead. Yet he's standing by the butchers shop, not raising the dead... I'm conflicted whether to trap him and use him for a zonbie training room, outright kill him, or ignore him... He's not causing any problems as of yet, just extreme discomfort on my end.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47424 on: May 23, 2016, 12:35:57 pm »

My legendary bone carver just made a giant mole bone crossbow called Ziksisäkil, or "The split point". That ought to be good.
Meanwhile, the Duke of Sastred Ad, one of the sharpest minds at the fort, is at the library, pondering his favorite subject: foraging behavior. He has already reached "Dabbling" rank at Geography and Critical Thinking...  :D
We also have a visiting scholar, who on her part is pondering the mysteries of surveying. I think she already my fort earlier, that time leaving behind an amateurish, self-indulgent autobiography.

I'm trying to get the two quires written by our own scholars ("A Meditation on the Dwarves" and "The Princess of Sun and the Universe") bound into books, but they seem to be perpetually checked for a "Store item in location" task that never completes.  ???

In other news, I seem to have embarked on a site with no source of goblinite, which is kind of boring, especially since the wildlife tends to be giant flyers (bushtits, mantises, etc.) hovering way out of reach my militia. Of course, there's a couple of forgotten beasts in the caverns, but they tend to bring their ‼Fun‼ in too large packages for the dorfs to handle...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47425 on: May 23, 2016, 05:40:23 pm »

Human trade caravan came to town. Decided to bring in a specific roast that I made that was too large for a pot.

"This is a stack of 192 exceptionally prepared hen egg roast. The ingredients are exceptionally minced dragon meat, exceptionally minced rye beer, exceptionally minced hen egg, exceptionally minced hen egg, superiorly minced hen egg, and exceptionally minced hen egg".

Trade value is 47,000+. I could probably buy out everything I want with this one meal alone.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47426 on: May 23, 2016, 06:05:48 pm »

More food. More drinks. More everything.

I'm building querns so that I can actually mill the quinoa and barley and the like like I should be doing.

As I'm at a mountain, I can't use outdoor farming, so I'll have to settle for cooking the seeds.

Problems with not enough pots. Several bards and other performers as visitors. No military (yet).

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #47427 on: May 23, 2016, 11:47:37 pm »

The vampire got elected mayor yet again.  Even though he's been locked in his office since shortly after he arrived, with his one victim in a coffin next to the wall sealing him away.  He's only on friendly terms with a single person in the entire fort, and yet he gets elected mayor every time.

As he neither eats nor sleeps, he doesn't seem to notice that his grand mayoral apartments consist of a small hole in the sand with a few bits of wooden furniture.  If I get my hands on another vampire to lock in there, so he's got someone to chat with all day, he'll probably be perfectly happy.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47428 on: May 23, 2016, 11:49:10 pm »

A weresloth just popped up outside my fort. Fortunately, an entire contingent of war grizzly bears were waiting for it.

Now I just have to put down the one bear the weresloth bit, and all will be well again in Combatcloistered.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47429 on: May 24, 2016, 07:51:41 pm »

A weremongoose turned up. They attacked two or three of our animals, kililng them, before the weremongoose turned back into a dwarf and ran away.

Also, ice has melted under my dwarves while they were fishing. Many were killed.

I'm not sure how to get their bodies out of the water...

I'm also considering a swimming pool... I think I'll make it in the hall leading to the mess hall, although I have no experience with the pond designation...
Pages: 1 ... 3160 3161 [3162] 3163 3164 ... 3842