Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3159 3160 [3161] 3162 3163 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128861 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47400 on: May 20, 2016, 04:35:29 pm »

Spoiler: Fairly big quote (click to show/hide)

In other words - dead Albatross corpses everywhere. An auspicious start.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:37:50 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47401 on: May 20, 2016, 06:01:00 pm »

The real question is how is the weasel staying aloft with his albatross comrades
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47402 on: May 20, 2016, 06:06:06 pm »

The real question is how is the weasel staying aloft with his albatross comrades

The weasel was probably fired off by a novice siege operator and he keeps missing the planet.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 06:09:49 pm by Tacomagic »

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: nonsensical euphemisms] [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47403 on: May 20, 2016, 07:20:52 pm »

So, I started a fresh fort, now in 0.43. Everything was going fine until the first autumn, at which point the local vulture population decided that my dwarves were a menace to society. Whenever a dwarf tried to go outside, they spammed about 50 "Interrupted by vulture" messages in half a second, then ran back into the fort. For some reason, basically every job, including things that should have been unaffected like sleeping several z levels below, or mining in a cavern, became cancelled immediately, despite none of the vultures actually being anywhere near the fort, and in fact being about 50 z levels in mid air at the time. As the two macedwarves that my military consisted of at the time could not fly, they were unable to remove the source of the problem, and nothing got done for several months, until everyone died of dehydration after being unable to reach any liquids due to the apparently telekinetic vultures.

Quite possibly one of the silliest ways I've ever lost a fort. Presumably, it was the work of an enemy stand elves.
@: You: "Can you tell me where I can find me?"
1: The Dwarf Philosopher: "I don't know myself, and I don't even know anyone who could tell you."

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47404 on: May 21, 2016, 12:17:23 am »

My first 0.43 fort just met with FUN end. It was only in its second year, about 20 dwarfs, and I didn't turtle on this one. My best warrior happened to be out and about... without his weapon or armor... when he stumbled on a werelemur. That ended him before he could get to any defenses. The werebeast got a couple more dwarves before the rest of the militia showed up (and he turned back into a human at about the same time). Then, just as my dwarves are burying the dead and getting back to work... necromancers show up. My dwarves were overwhelmed, and it didn't help that there were several corpses nearby for them to raise.

It's a shame, too, it promised . I'd just gotten magma furnaces set up, there were whole layers of chalk and magnetite, and it had the tallest adamantine spire I've ever encountered (I'd already mined out over 200 raw adamantine without any risk of breaching the main spire, and I was maybe a third of the way down).

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #47405 on: May 21, 2016, 06:16:11 am »

Someone finally decided to play one of my instruments rather than just simulating it! All it required was having the whole fort largely idle for a year while I await materials for the Proper Fort ProjectTM. I also notice that Dastot is credited with creating all of the parts, but that is not true. The assembler must be overriding all credit.

Surprisingly, a photo made it into the Daily Urist. I can't really get a tab on what those guys consider worthy of print.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---EDIT---

With things so slow I decided to make my entire population (not many) into scholars to see what would happen as I haven't yet experimented with them. I formed a library in the bare dirt and gave it a title and then made everyone purple. As soon as I unpaused a gorlak scholar turned up.
I like her cos she seems cheerful. She's now Discussing Pulmonary Medicine! It's pretty cool. My dwarves have been discussing windlasses, military ethics, processes and medicine. The wiki led me to believe that they wouldn't do much else early on when made scholars but they all seem willing to break off their discussions to do other work when it comes up.

Also, not long after creating a library my first siege turned up after 10 years to be consumed by my cage traps. Coincidence? I think not. Now a question. If I slowly and carefully feed goblins to my uninvited feathered sauropod will it learn fighting skills?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 07:03:02 am by DG »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47406 on: May 21, 2016, 08:22:51 am »

Also, not long after creating a library my first siege turned up after 10 years to be consumed by my cage traps. Coincidence? I think not. Now a question. If I slowly and carefully feed goblins to my uninvited feathered sauropod will it learn fighting skills?
No. But don't let that stop you!

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47407 on: May 21, 2016, 01:34:55 pm »

A Dwarven Child of Combatcloistered just punched a rhesus macaque in the head and killed it...

She sounds like my two-year-old nephew...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 01:37:02 pm by Urist McShire »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47408 on: May 21, 2016, 06:33:06 pm »

A Dwarven Child of Combatcloistered just punched a rhesus macaque in the head and killed it...

She sounds like my two-year-old nephew...

........ does he kill monkeys with his bare hands frequently, your nephew?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47409 on: May 21, 2016, 08:05:14 pm »

...you've struck a vein full of eggplant brutes! You fools!

EDIT: Ahah! Got stairs down to ground level of hell, without getting mobbed.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:09:32 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #47410 on: May 21, 2016, 08:57:39 pm »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47411 on: May 21, 2016, 09:04:57 pm »

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47412 on: May 22, 2016, 02:20:50 am »

Had a small but entertaining goblin siege. First of all, my drowning trap failed, the goblins wouldn't enter it for some reason. More on that later, perhaps. But what they did do was very interesting. Their melee fighters held back, while a pair of bowmen (or a crossbowman and a bowman? Doesn't matter) rushed a lookout post (a dog ringed by fortifications). They shot the dog of course, my only loss in the battle. But then in an amazing display of either luck or cunning, they jumped or climbed inside the fortification! Now I had a little bit of a problem. The goblins refused to come in through my trap and their now fortified bowmen could be a serious threat.

Fortunately, the surface level part of my fort also includes a large wall topped with fortifications. So following advice I read hear that using "station" on marksdwarves makes them behave rashly, I instead defined a burrow overlooking the captured lookout post and sent my crossbow squad there. Being more skilled, my squad could shoot through the fortifications while they could not. Once the two goblins in there were incapacitated (one of their noses was shot off with a pair wood bolt :D), I sent my axe dwarves out to deal with the melee goblins (no problem) and then send the marksdwarves in to to finish off the goblins in the lookout post at close range.

And then the mayor had someone beaten to death for not making splints fast enough. wait, what?
Akur Akir Akam!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47413 on: May 22, 2016, 02:40:42 am »

eggplant brutes
What the fuck.

That's what I'd like to know.

It refers to the color more likely than not. Although I don't see "eggplant" anywhere on that list. Maybe they really are living eggplant horrors.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #47414 on: May 22, 2016, 02:44:08 am »

No. But don't let that stop you!

That's a shame. I suppose they don't have [CAN_LEARN]. Still, it could probably do with some protein so I'll take your advice.

Something unexpected happened with my siege. There was a largish squad of bowgoblins that all fell into my cages except for one. This last goblin stood on top of the drawbridge (2x3 in size) I can raise just in case there is a siege so large that I don't have enough cages to break their morale or I haven't had time to reset them. He spent around a month chilling so I decided to pull the lever and catapult him out of his torpor, except he disappeared. He's now dead in my unit list and there is no body to be found as would be expected if I had atom smashed him. Is this a new thing? I often used to catapult goblins with drawbridges quite a few versions back.
Pages: 1 ... 3159 3160 [3161] 3162 3163 ... 3842