Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3158 3159 [3160] 3161 3162 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128962 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47385 on: May 18, 2016, 07:55:25 am »

So I made a giant wooden castle, pissed off the elves, got some hoomens visiting (including a lady consort). I am shitting myself that if a dragon attacks, I'm screwed.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47386 on: May 18, 2016, 08:46:35 am »

So I made a giant wooden castle, pissed off the elves, got some hoomens visiting (including a lady consort). I am shitting myself that if a dragon attacks, I'm screwed.
Not likely. Constructions aren't flammable.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #47387 on: May 18, 2016, 08:49:44 am »

Really? I had a dragon burn down a raised bridge before, so I though they could do the same to wooden walls.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47388 on: May 18, 2016, 08:51:16 am »

You might want to replace any wooden bridges if you're worried. Otherwise you shouldn't have any problems, as illogical as that might be.
Akur Akir Akam!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #47389 on: May 18, 2016, 09:32:19 am »

I've finished laying the foundations for the latest in my long line of structures that I never finish. This is the base of a circular bismuth bronze block tower strengthened by a steel block core. I intend to continue the foundations down until I hit solid stone, which will be complicated by the aquifer. It will never be completed because I have to trade for the metal and mow down the forests faster than they grow for charcoal and I will probably lose interest before too long.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47390 on: May 18, 2016, 10:17:41 am »

Really? I had a dragon burn down a raised bridge before, so I though they could do the same to wooden walls.
Bridges are buildings. If fire gets inside the building area (the area it lowers into,) even while raised, the components will burn. Either make the bridge only one tile thick (so there's no vulnerable area while raised), or build it out of metal (for dragonfire immunity.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #47391 on: May 18, 2016, 10:36:07 am »

Bridges are buildings. If fire gets inside the building area (the area it lowers into,) even while raised, the components will burn. Either make the bridge only one tile thick (so there's no vulnerable area while raised), or build it out of metal (for dragonfire immunity.)
Generally, anything that is [MAGMA_SAFE] should be fine.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47392 on: May 18, 2016, 11:14:56 am »

For normal fire, but dragonfire is strange. Theoretically it's much hotter than magma, but it never the less won't harm metal. (Or so I hear, haven't experienced this myself.)

But even in case of dragon attack, having it touch of a massive grass fire is probably a bigger risk than your bridge taking a direct hit, so any normally fireproof material would still go a fair ways to keep you safe.

Akur Akir Akam!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47393 on: May 18, 2016, 06:59:05 pm »

Dragonfire will evaporate any stone, even magma safe.

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: nonsensical euphemisms] [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47394 on: May 19, 2016, 06:04:30 pm »

On a completely different subject, several of my dwarves decided to reenact that bit from the first few episodes of JoJo when several policemen unload on Dio.

Basically, I accidentally dropped a wooden fortification through the ceiling of my tavern while trying to build a bridge, landing in front of a (at the time not known) necromancer, letting in a badger at the same time. The necromancer freaked out, and raised the badger's leg to combat it, which immediately drew the attention of the fortress guard, who were stationed in the tavern. In less then a second, about 11 bolts had embedded themselves in the leg, while an unreasonably strong wrestler ran up and punched the leg with enough force to send it flying into the necromancer, knock them into the wall, and break basically every bone in the necromancer's body.

I wish I had the talent to make this shit up.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:10:54 pm by Prop42 »
@: You: "Can you tell me where I can find me?"
1: The Dwarf Philosopher: "I don't know myself, and I don't even know anyone who could tell you."

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47395 on: May 20, 2016, 04:27:44 am »

An elven author named Fale turned up at the Oily Rag Tavern, with a book he'd authored under his arm. Got into a row with our Sage, who has written several blockbusters. The Sage took the first swing but it was immediately apparent that every customer wanted a piece of the elf.

Fale began laying about him with his book, until a dwarf grabbed it and held firm. The dwarf was still holding the book when the elf relinquished his grip due to a frightful pike trauma to the head.

The dwarf dropped the book onto the elf's mutilated corpse. Fale's lifes' work later found its way into the library, where it was written over! 

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47396 on: May 20, 2016, 10:09:57 am »

--

Somewhat inspired by Game of Thrones, Ironborn.  And Quill18 even had some video relating to it.

My idea is to make a list of rules as self-limitations, perhaps RP flavor.
The world is only 1 cavern layer, with ~30z from surface to magma probably.
The 4x4 embark is fairly fast too, even the 2 week world simulation start.

The next rule idea is only using pig leather for backpacks, quivers, and cloaks.  Pig leather waterskin is fine, but I already made iron flasks.

I'm am tempted to seize all trades and piss off the neighbors, but there are other un-revealed neighbors. 

And I want to max the pop, maybe 100-120, but I want to crank out to 200 when I have at least a 80+ equipped army.

I wanted to play this out some more until I have list of rules, before starting a similar inspired community fort.

Any feedback or thoughts is welcome.  Thanks

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #47397 on: May 20, 2016, 10:50:54 am »

FEcnsjkea

Crash. I had just finished building a huge cathedral, and it crashed. This is the third time it's crashed, in relative short order - it's been like that despite me changing versions. Beginning to wonder if it's the tile set (Ironhand) I'm using.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47398 on: May 20, 2016, 12:41:07 pm »

Basically, I accidentally dropped a wooden fortification through the ceiling of my tavern while trying to build a bridge, landing in front of a (at the time not known) necromancer, letting in a badger at the same time. The necromancer freaked out, and raised the badger's leg to combat it, which immediately drew the attention of the fortress guard, who were stationed in the tavern. In less then a second, about 11 bolts had embedded themselves in the leg, while an unreasonably strong wrestler ran up and punched the leg with enough force to send it flying into the necromancer, knock them into the wall, and break basically every bone in the necromancer's body.
Awesome.
Akur Akir Akam!

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47399 on: May 20, 2016, 04:31:14 pm »

I decided to build near/on a haunted-ish area.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The undead are most.... fowl.

But seriously what the hell why are there so many undead birds MAKE IT STOP
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity
Pages: 1 ... 3158 3159 [3160] 3161 3162 ... 3842