Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3150 3151 [3152] 3153 3154 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129368 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47265 on: April 26, 2016, 01:18:26 am »

So the elves did show up with a caravan after all. It just took a few weeks. Then nothing eventful happened until autumn besides the brave militia of The Radiant Hall of Business fending off some white storks and a flock of Keas. Soon after the start of autumn, the goblin siege we'd been dreading appeared in the east, but my dwarves were well-trained and knew their orders well. The moment they appeared, the alarms went throughout the fortress for the civilians to take shelter inside while the majority of the militia went out to battle, with the squad of marksdwarves heading to their posts upon the eastern wall and towers as the main gates shut and the axe and spear dwarves headed to their positions in the courtyard. Evidently this was just a test of our preparedness, as the goblins numbered at only a baker's dozen or so.

The first bolt fired from our crossbows skewered a goblin through the head, dropping him instantly, and several others were soon to follow as the crossbow bolts dropped their ranks. Then, to our disbelief, a human bard decided that it was time to leave and made a break for it as three goblins crept along the south wall, out of the firing range of the deadly marksdwarves. Despite a quick re-organizing of the defenses, it proved unnecessary, as the bard was able to evade combat and escape safely. With the majority of the enemy force successfully incapacitated in front of the east wall and towers, the three brave goblins that had been heading south made it to the heavily trapped and left-open west entrance, only for one of them to be pinned to the wall as he walked right in front of a redeployed marksdwarf. The other two pressed onward, only to be immediately slain by the sharp glass traps that stood in their path.

Seeing the end in sight with the promise of a complete and total route of the goblin skirmishers, the order was given, and the twenty axe and spear dwarves waiting for their chance rushed out through the trap corridor, slaying the pinned goblin with two quick spear thrusts before advancing onto the others that were already in retreat to the east. The last two surviving goblins died with crossbow bolts and spears in their back, and our first Elite Marksdwarf was forged this day in our first battle.

Only a couple days later, the caravan arrived to witness us cleaning up the bodies and what they'd left behind, and their traders came to the tavern to hear of the battle. Glory to the barony of Ateshiton Kitig, The Radiant Hall of Business!

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47266 on: April 26, 2016, 01:21:15 am »

Decided to try something new. My new fort Dishmabkosak, called in the vulgar tongue Rampartdrinker, is to be a fortress where every stone level is fully engraved. Slowing down the standard production scheme, I have assigned every dwarf to be allowed to smooth and engrave. Each dwarf will also have a personal suite that is 4x5 meters in size, each engraved. Married dwarves will be assigned an extra cabinet and chest or bag, whichever is available. In the meantime, plans for our kingdom's first aboveground castle have begun, with all of my masons producing stone blocks from the large excavations carried out by our three legendary miners. Mining has ceased while the smoothing of the first floor and further block production take place. The relative lack of enemies in this world, following the successful destruction of ALL other civilizations by a heavily overpowered Dwarven civilization, has caused me to seek other ways to find !FUN!

In other news, in a fight against a berserk yak, the yak was reported to have somehow grabbed one of the dwarves by the tongue with his rear leg, and not only that, but managed to take him down by so doing. I didn't see it, and my brain is breaking trying to visualize this happening. Oh the beauty of these combat reports. They never fail to amuse.

edit: in other news, our first death has occurred when our stupid miner decided that he would attempt to swim in the cistern instead of expanding it.

edit 2: because I'm still expecting a huge number of beasts, due to the fact that this world was genned with the largest number available, and two other forts have been destroyed by ettins, which are, for some reason, extremely popular in this world (I've had twelve ettin attacks in three forts), I have my military squads on constant training. Any dwarf with any skill with a weapon has been assigned to kill any creature that comes to the fort that isn't here to trade.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:28:03 am by sculleywr »
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47267 on: April 26, 2016, 01:49:49 am »

Framerate plummeted to single digits and then the game crashed.

At the end of spring after a long season of migrants and working.  No saves.

-lies down and stares at the ceiling-

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47268 on: April 26, 2016, 04:06:13 am »

No caravan? Odd, I though the diplomat was supposed to arrive with the caravan, same as with dwarves and humans.

They often arrive at the same time, but are different events, only related.

For example in my current fort:
- up until 4th year the caravans were coming, but no diplomat
- in 5th year the diplomat came, and started insulting my "stunted ones" and left, the caravan came 2 weeks later, but some members were stuck (and struck) off-map, and no trade could be performed. The caravan left after one month.
-in 6th year the diplomat came, and offered the tree quota limit. But no caravan came at all

As for humans, in v.0.40.x I had a situation where their diplomat came in autumn - just before dwarven caravan in fact. And in year 8th,  human diplomat came in early summer (as is usual), but just after him came elven diplomat (who didn't come in spring, neither caravan did, maybe because there was a goblin siege)! That was weird, I wasn't expecting guy at all, but such things happen.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #47269 on: April 26, 2016, 05:27:17 am »

-snip-
It was terrible. There's a photo of the incident in today's Daily Urist.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47270 on: April 26, 2016, 05:55:14 am »

-snip-
It was terrible. There's a photo of the incident in today's Daily Urist.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I died laughing reading the Daily Urist, today. Fortunately, my death was prior to the wereiguanasplosion of 129 that tore my fort down from a bustling 70 dwarves to no dwarves at all and one enraged wereiguana mayor who was throwing about mandates on the production of bucklers, when he wasn't feasting on the hearts of the 25 children running around the fort.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47271 on: April 26, 2016, 12:06:45 pm »

Finally! It is now the winter of year 9, the fifth year of life for The Radiant Hall of Business, and there is much to be radiant about! Our diligent miners have at last unveiled a seam of metallic ore in the mica beneath the layers of mountainous gabbro and valuable marble, and have struck gold! Silver was soon to follow, and there was much rejoicing and revelry at the news, surpassing even the joy at becoming a duchy of the crown, our Duke can now take comfort in knowing that the finest of gold furniture and adornments will now bless his rooms and office.

Meanwhile, we've been clear cutting and training wolves for war. That should upset the pointy-ears enough.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47272 on: April 26, 2016, 08:41:28 pm »

Evidently turning twelve while playing make believe will not interrupt said game.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47273 on: April 26, 2016, 09:26:07 pm »

Welcome to the age of the goblin. We few sturdy dwarves who comprise the remainder of civilized society, with the destruction of the elves and the Mountainhomes, are attempting to forge a new civilization. And now, before we have set up a metalworking industry, Morul Dishmabgeb has declared himself king and demanded an opulent set of accomodations! Investigating the possibilities of assigning him a shiny lever and a support if he becomes cranky.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47274 on: April 26, 2016, 10:06:30 pm »

Welcome to the age of the goblin. We few sturdy dwarves who comprise the remainder of civilized society, with the destruction of the elves and the Mountainhomes, are attempting to forge a new civilization. And now, before we have set up a metalworking industry, Morul Dishmabgeb has declared himself king and demanded an opulent set of accomodations! Investigating the possibilities of assigning him a shiny lever and a support if he becomes cranky.

Coddle this poor fool, for he may well be the last hope for dwarvenkind. D:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47275 on: April 26, 2016, 11:21:04 pm »

One of my militia captains got into a scuffle with my weaponsmith and mayor in the tavern, and ended up smashing open the weaponsmith's right foot. Thankfully the hospital was only a few steps away and was well-stocked and able to very quickly and efficiently deal with the situation, which was good, since it would have been terrible to lose one of my two legendary weaponsmiths.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47276 on: April 26, 2016, 11:38:13 pm »

Coddle this poor fool, for he may well be the last hope for dwarvenkind. D:

Luckily, his only mandates have been for the production of gauntlets, which my now active metal industry, which has a metric Urist-load of ore to work with, has had no problem meeting. The newly elected mayor loves shields, so those mandates will not be hard to meet either, since my armorer and my weaponsmith both mooded into legends making a bronze warhammer and a shield. Every dwarf has been enlisted into reserve squads in case of goblin attack on our new Mountainhome, and we received news that the Elves reclaimed their capitol and began sending caravans to us.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47277 on: April 27, 2016, 03:04:04 am »

The trouble of playing DF on a cheap computer: FPS death in every moderately succesful fort.

Well I retired the fort for later use. I started a new fort just now and discovered that I share the map with a night ogre... !FUN! is starting really early for this. Welp, I'm putting my dwarves into a militia and ordering them to charge the brute. Here goes nothing!

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47278 on: April 27, 2016, 06:09:46 am »

The trouble of playing DF on a cheap computer: FPS death in every moderately succesful fort.

Well I retired the fort for later use. I started a new fort just now and discovered that I share the map with a night ogre... !FUN! is starting really early for this. Welp, I'm putting my dwarves into a militia and ordering them to charge the brute. Here goes nothing!

Leave Shrek alone.

In others news, of what seems a coordinated attack, my fort was ravaged by a giant cave spider. I had cage traps lined up, but a family of crundles happily wondered in and used up every last trap. My dwarves go down to take the caged creatures away and a giant cave spider runs in for the kill. Five Casualties including my Master Metal Crafter.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #47279 on: April 27, 2016, 06:32:55 am »

With the visitor update I wasn't able to play after breaching the first cavern. I play on a 2007 Mac Mini and I hate every moment of it. It's analogous to the rusty needle you would use when shooting up heroin (Dwarf Fortress): it gets the job done, but it'll kill you sooner rather than later.

Pages: 1 ... 3150 3151 [3152] 3153 3154 ... 3842