Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3148 3149 [3150] 3151 3152 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129666 times)

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47235 on: April 23, 2016, 10:34:57 am »

My nice plan to create a slab hall dedicated to powerful, fallen enemies is ruined, as all I get carved is "went missing", ARGH! This is not a lost property office!

Elanorea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47236 on: April 23, 2016, 10:44:35 am »

I just found that somehow, my dwarves managed to spill about 300 units of booze inside my magma smelter.

Also, Operation: Repopulate is nearing completion. After almost 30 ingame years, the population has finally reached 50. No mayor elected yet, but somebody said elections are held in summer, so I'm gonna hold on until then. If that doesn't work, then, well, I guess I'll have to find some way for the fort to go out in a blaze of glory, because playing without a manager and with no way to assign dwarves to the military is starting to get really dull.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:49:42 am by Elanorea »

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47237 on: April 23, 2016, 11:13:00 am »

Also, Operation: Repopulate is nearing completion. After almost 30 ingame years, the population has finally reached 50. No mayor elected yet, but somebody said elections are held in summer, so I'm gonna hold on until then. If that doesn't work, then, well, I guess I'll have to find some way for the fort to go out in a blaze of glory, because playing without a manager and with no way to assign dwarves to the military is starting to get really dull.
I may have missed some vital posts, but why don't you just appoint a mayor instead of following uristocratic methods?

Elanorea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47238 on: April 23, 2016, 11:45:24 am »

I may have missed some vital posts, but why don't you just appoint a mayor instead of following uristocratic methods?
I became unable to appoint or replace nobles after my first expedition leader died (possibly a bug?). Anyway, I've finally achieved success:

The result of the election is quite unsurprising, as she is the mother of more than a third of the fortress's population.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47239 on: April 23, 2016, 11:48:14 am »

I let the dwarf fortress ai (https://github.com/BenLubar/df-ai) run overnight. The results were interesting... Here's what happened: http://imgur.com/a/V9ApY.

This is really cool, +5 points for interest. How'd you bag a queen at 65 dorfs though?
EDIT: just realized monarch requirements may have changed in newer versions. Still play 0.34.
How do I do it? Prune juice.

Elanorea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47240 on: April 23, 2016, 12:20:46 pm »

I let the dwarf fortress ai (https://github.com/BenLubar/df-ai) run overnight. The results were interesting... Here's what happened: http://imgur.com/a/V9ApY.

This is really cool, +5 points for interest. How'd you bag a queen at 65 dorfs though?
EDIT: just realized monarch requirements may have changed in newer versions. Still play 0.34.
Probably starting off with a struggling civ.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47241 on: April 23, 2016, 02:06:51 pm »

Just started a new embark. Called the fort Ateshiton Kitig, The Radiant Hall of Business. May this fort be ever profitable.

cottontailcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47242 on: April 23, 2016, 05:23:24 pm »

Just started a new embark. Called the fort Ateshiton Kitig, The Radiant Hall of Business. May this fort be ever profitable.
Go forth and pave your fort with gold!
]

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47243 on: April 23, 2016, 06:05:57 pm »

Don't pave with gold! Make golden trinkets instead. This way the fort will be profitable at least to kobolds and giant keas.

Elanorea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47244 on: April 23, 2016, 06:06:15 pm »

Two of my dwarves managed to fall into the cavern lake somehow. One simply drowned, while the other went for a lengthy swim, then climbed and got stuck in a tree in the middle of the lake. Had to dig a tunnel from above and build a floor for her to get out.

kleanea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47245 on: April 23, 2016, 07:01:58 pm »

Probably starting off with a struggling civ.
Unfortunately I was asleep when she came. The fortress used to have at least 100 dwarves, but many die each time a siege comes, since the fortress defense is just cage traps and a small, poorly managed militia. The queen probably came from being promoted when the previous queen died though. The ai lost after another year due to a huge goblin siege  (over 250 creatures), which it couldn't manage.
Also, the ai liked to put elite wrestlers in its army instead of useful dwarves.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:04:08 pm by kleanea »

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47246 on: April 23, 2016, 07:07:21 pm »

So I'm certainly still hoping that The Radiant Hall of Business will have lots of business to do, as I have yet to come across a single metal ore in my mining (now during my second summer). I've found a fair number of gems, though, so that will certainly help. And the caravans always like my enormous spiked wooden balls my carpenter dishes out.

Perhaps I shouldn't have settled half of my embark site into the mountain...

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #47247 on: April 23, 2016, 09:40:15 pm »

Last season we finally found the cotton candy, last week when we carved a fortification in that candy we found the tube down to the hidden secret, and today... today we are preparing for war. The forges are alight with fire as hot as the magma sea turning cotton candy into the most powerful weapons I am capable of creating. The danger room is training the useless farmers into demigods of war and the experienced squads are sparing all day long. The bones of our fallen foes shall be turned into bolts for our marks dwarves, the minerals of the earth become tools to slaughter our adversaries, and the only clothing we will be producing from now on is to be made of leather so even the lowliest peasant idiot shall have at least some form of protection.

So yeah, racing the clock to build up an engine of war like I've never actually done before and the fort is turning into a 24/7 BDSM club from all the leather wear we've been made.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47248 on: April 24, 2016, 03:54:39 am »

Started a fort for the first time in far too long, and things are going pretty well. I have a little under 50 dwarves, a military of 5 fairly competent spear dwarves and 5 marksdwarves that are repurposed hunters (still setting up archery training), a great dining room, small 3x3 rooms for everyone, and tons of ore. I've found cobaltite, tetrahedrite, native gold, and native silver on the map so far, and I had embarked with lots of cassiterite and malachite, as well as ~80 bituminous coal. My spear dwarves all have full suits of bronze armor, and that squad has 6 war dogs serving alongside it. I have mountains of food and plenty of booze. I just need a water reservoir, hospital, tombs, and some traps set up on the map and I should have all of the basics covered.

I think I might start experimenting with getting my dwarves to desecrate temples and seeing what supersoldiers I can get from the curses after I'm in a more comfortable position.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

SirFinbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47249 on: April 24, 2016, 09:20:20 am »

So I'm certainly still hoping that The Radiant Hall of Business will have lots of business to do, as I have yet to come across a single metal ore in my mining...

Your fort can still radiate enthusiastic workers! Business isn't all about the gold, gems and bearded women! ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3148 3149 [3150] 3151 3152 ... 3842