Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3110 3111 [3112] 3113 3114 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121877 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46665 on: March 10, 2016, 05:46:19 pm »

Hmmm. Apparently being the sherrif does not exempt a dwarf from getting hammerings for ignoring the Duke's production mandate.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46666 on: March 10, 2016, 05:58:22 pm »

Ravod has been passing the time whittling away bones and hooves to make crude little crafts, but also some greaves as well. The dwarves are thinking in ambitious terms, resolving to survive in this desert enclave long enough that the dry, sun-baked winds might wear down their clothes. I did briefly cheat in some bone blocks to wall themselves back in safely after consuming one of the logs to make a barrel, and reserved another couple blocks before dumping the remainder in the well, then restored the reaction I modded back to normal.

The leather, meanwhile, got used for more bags. Maybe I should've brought 7 empty bags instead of just 5, so one could imagine that they were used to lead these exiles to their new "home" blindfolded with them.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46667 on: March 10, 2016, 07:11:54 pm »

Siege again.
58 goblin nuggets harvested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46668 on: March 10, 2016, 07:38:57 pm »

I've bought another book for project Hillbilly Dwarf. It teaches the worthlessness of eloquence. It's forbidden for now. There's another book that's forbidden which teaches the worthlessness of self control, and most of my dwarves already learned to appreciate the worthlessness of decorum.

On an unrelated note: apparently GCS that were (born) trained, and after that allowed to return to wild state, do not function properly in a silk farm. They refuse to shoot at my stationed military bait dwarf. I hope the GCS I put in turrets (which are also reverted to wild after being born trained) will shoot at goblins.

I hope I can get another real wild GCS for my silk farm :(

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #46669 on: March 10, 2016, 08:11:28 pm »

Use goblins and tame spiders. It works for me.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46670 on: March 10, 2016, 08:43:24 pm »

It is the 9th of midsummer, and the second time our bone carver has been enraged by an argument. Again, no fights resulted, and none of them are actually unhappy, but I wonder how long until the slide into Fun begins. No bedrooms, no BEDS, no dining furniture, no booze, not even a proper well over their water source. Their only source of comfort is friendship, and the best work a cook can do with quarry leaves.

Assuming they live to see the start of winter, they'll need to exercise caution. Meager meals will erode the only pleasure they can enjoy, but lavish meals will wear their supplies thinner, and their only crop won't grow in winter.

EDIT: Decided to squad the dorfs up so they can wear the few bone greaves they were able to make. They auto-named the squad...The Walled Kin. How delightfully fitting.

EDIT 2: Thanks to my earlier dirty, dirty cheating yielding bone blocks, we at least have a single bed to make a dormitory.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:31:30 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46671 on: March 10, 2016, 09:44:30 pm »

Actually, I don't think the type of meal will matter. I believe that the only advantage of lavish meals from a happiness standpoint is that they have more chance of having an ingredient that the dwarf likes. Since all your ingredients are the same, having 4 of them instead of 2 doesn't change anything. And you get bigger stacks of lavish meals, so they don't really go through your stocks quicker.

For example, if you have a bunch of quarry bush leaves [5], and you make one job of "easy meal". you'll use 2 stacks and get a stack of quarry bush leaf biscuits [10]. But if you do one job of prepare lavish meal, you'll use 4 stacks and get a stack of quarry bush leaf roast [20]. So it's still N inputs -> N meals.

Lavish meals are worth more to trade, but don't affect happiness any more. If the dwarf likes one of the ingredients, he'll get a happy thought, whether it's a biscuit or a roast. So if you have any dwarves that like quarry bush leaves they'll be happy either way, and those that don't particularly like them won't care either way.

Biscuits do result in more training, since there are more jobs done for a given supply of input food, but they also require more hauling, since you make more small stacks.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46672 on: March 10, 2016, 09:54:48 pm »

Ah, right. So we don't have the sadistic choice of good meals versus not starving? Damnit. I could've sworn that meal value had a positive effect when eating, but now that I think about I only ever see the value of the dining room referenced when a dorf eats.

Oh well. Guess they can have however big a meal they want then, and it'll affect neither their suffering nor their survival. :V

EDIT: Autumn has arrived, and I'm taking advantage of those bone blocks to free up the third and final log, for a grate over our water source. Just in case someone goes nuts and decides to take a swim. No one has started stressing out though, interesting.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:47:59 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46673 on: March 11, 2016, 06:06:22 am »

I don't think I need to even say anything about this...nor do I wish to.... :-[
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46674 on: March 11, 2016, 06:16:31 am »

Those humans with their strange gods.

In my settlement, i have discovered how joyfully discovering how useful dwarf therapist is, as well as how annoying kea's are(why do my ropes, of all things? Hopefully the benefits of therapist should grow while the annoyingness of keas should fall as my fortress expands beyond 19 dwarves in future.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46675 on: March 11, 2016, 09:47:24 am »

Heh, this is weird. I always thought that official currency coins (copper, silver, gold coins) always got the civilization's symbol printed on one side of the coin (and perhaps adamantine coins too, because my addy coin has the symbol).

I have been printing a batch of each every 5 years of my fort, and in 45 years it has been true for 26 out of 27 unique designs minted, while none of my four 10-yearly celebration issue platinum coins have the symbol.

This year's silver coin does not have the civilization's symbol. I wonder if it's a bug.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46676 on: March 11, 2016, 09:59:06 am »

I retired the fort when fps dropped below 25.

--------
Well the exe just crashed... never mind, new fortress anyway.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:01:30 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46677 on: March 11, 2016, 11:31:54 am »

For the 10 millionth time, I forgot that .42.0X has seriously amped up the speed at which threats find you, and my promising young fort was fatally visited by a werepig.

.40.X ruined my reaction time.  Hopefully I learn how to properly dwarf fortress again  :/
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46678 on: March 11, 2016, 04:49:00 pm »

I have to say, I'm quite happy with FPS in 42.x.

46 years into a fortress (okay, with invaders off so no goblin induced map clutter), with 46 (33 adult) dwarves, 308 pets of whom about 80 are not in a cage, 123 others (dwarven caravan is here), 1206 dead/missing, 3 caverns explored and currently accessible, and magma sea explored too, I am still getting 40-45 FPS out of my 75 max setting on my 2011 i7 laptop.
When there's no caravan, I still get 60+ FPS. Quite nice. Although I must admit I am on a treeless surface 2x2 map.

EDIT: in other news, I have 86 GCS now. I wonder what their cap is. Probably 100. Keeping them all trained levels up my 3 newly recruited reinforcement animal trainers at an incredible pace. I wonder what 100 GCS versus the circus would look like.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 05:07:03 pm by martinuzz »

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46679 on: March 11, 2016, 07:12:39 pm »

This is the most "dwarven" instrument I have ever seen.
I imagine that only the strongest and toughest dwarves can play it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 07:31:38 pm by hun »
Pages: 1 ... 3110 3111 [3112] 3113 3114 ... 3842