Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3109 3110 [3111] 3112 3113 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122011 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46650 on: March 10, 2016, 12:00:20 am »

A giant slug draws near. Send the bowkobolds after it. I'm starting to think next time I'll give humans, dwarves, and elves the ITEM_THIEF tag instead. If I can't find a better way to unfuck kobold karavans.

EDIT: It was over in mere moments. Thing passed out and ate native copper arrows until one shot GIBBED the body.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 12:02:48 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46651 on: March 10, 2016, 12:29:12 am »

I'm starting to think next time I'll give humans, dwarves, and elves the ITEM_THIEF tag instead. If I can't find a better way to unfuck kobold karavans.

That tag is, in fact, the problem.

It'll never count as exported, only stolen, if the civ has item theft.

Could try removing the tag (or is is [SKULKING] that kobolds have?) and just leave them with [UTTERANCES] to see if that maintains hostility.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46652 on: March 10, 2016, 12:35:38 am »

I'm starting to think next time I'll give humans, dwarves, and elves the ITEM_THIEF tag instead. If I can't find a better way to unfuck kobold karavans.

That tag is, in fact, the problem.

It'll never count as exported, only stolen, if the civ has item theft.

Could try removing the tag (or is is [SKULKING] that kobolds have?) and just leave them with [UTTERANCES] to see if that maintains hostility.

Yeah, item thief is the problem. I'm fairly certain that having [INTELLIGENT] in addition to [URTTERANCES] will prevent hostility though, so they kinda hinge on being item thieves.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46653 on: March 10, 2016, 12:49:47 am »

Just lost two legendary soldiers in a spider FB attack.
It is time to train replacements.

Edit*

Damn, the thing was not dead!
And now squad c was slaughtered, totally 9 elites dead, plus two dozens of civs.

Edit*2

Well, a wood burner kicked its cephalothorax to explode and killed it.

Edit*3

The wood burner will be the new captain of squad c.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:09:19 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46654 on: March 10, 2016, 03:24:22 am »

Another FB came and bypassed my defense!
Unfortunately the taverns were alone the main stairway...
More death....

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46655 on: March 10, 2016, 07:24:30 am »

Just started a new fort. It seems my modifications to dwarfs LOVE_PROPENSITY(from the default of 0:50:100 to 0:75:100), has worked, with two of my founding dwarves becoming lovers before i even got any migrants. Hopefully my modifications to ORIENTATION will allow all dwarves who become lovers to eventually marry. In general everything lovely so far, though when things become tougher my increasing of dwarfs vulnerability to stress should also come into play

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46656 on: March 10, 2016, 09:28:53 am »

Hmm. My second 2nd generation couple just had their first kid. It still views the children of the first 2nd generation couple as 'cousin', so I guess they'll still be without friends :P

I do hope that cousins can get married, or my fort's no migrant policy is doomed. (my fort is 43 years old, started out with 10 dwarves, I'm up to 45 dwarves now.
One of my starting 10 passed 150 years of age so I might lose my first dwarf soon. Once the six dwarves of my starting 10 that did not get married die, no one will have friends anymore, only relatives. I might have to start attracting visitors once that happens.

EDIT: looking at relation screens, I notice that grandparent relations are not reciprocal. Grandchildren do have their grandparents listed as such, but grandparents do not have their grandchildren listed. I wonder if they can befriend them at all.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:34:27 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Etc_Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46657 on: March 10, 2016, 10:17:48 am »

Well, there is no magma on layer 1 but there is a downward passage to layer 2. That may explain layer 2 and 3 creatures in the first layer. I've never played with magma before so I'm need help to know what to do once I find some. Should I dig straight down and build a forge over the hole or pump it up one z-level below and isolate the lava?

Crundles revert back to wild state after a while so they aren't worth keeping. I'll sell them all off to the next caravan when they come this spring. The main problem is that all my cages are wooden, so the elves may throw a fit and come back with some "demands" next year despite not cutting down any trees in 2 years. It's because my only two soldiers have the axes.

I want to start an underground tree farm and the way subterrain works I'm not sure if my plan is possible.
Key:
+ = sand floor
* = sand walls
0 = constructed walls
# = constructed floor
. = open space

z-2
*++++++++*
*++++++++*
*++++++++*

z-1
*..................*
*..................*
*..................*

z+0

z+1
##########
##########
##########
##########
##########

Hello? I need some advice here. I haven't played for extremely long.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46658 on: March 10, 2016, 11:10:47 am »

As far as I have understood from reading the forums, tree farms need two open z-levels, so it looks like your setup should work.
I haven't actively farmed trees ever since trees went 3d though. I like my FPS too much.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46659 on: March 10, 2016, 11:41:02 am »

Just started a new fort. It seems my modifications to dwarfs LOVE_PROPENSITY(from the default of 0:50:100 to 0:75:100), has worked, with two of my founding dwarves becoming lovers before i even got any migrants. Hopefully my modifications to ORIENTATION will allow all dwarves who become lovers to eventually marry. In general everything lovely so far, though when things become tougher my increasing of dwarfs vulnerability to stress should also come into play

Oh that is glorious. I should've tweaked my kobolds so they'd start falling in love. :V

As far as I have understood from reading the forums, tree farms need two open z-levels, so it looks like your setup should work.
I haven't actively farmed trees ever since trees went 3d though. I like my FPS too much.

Additionally, make sure the roof of your tree farm consists of at least one layer of full, unmined wall. If it's just mined-out roof (or worse, the surface) above it, it might punch through that thin roof when it grows. I haven't seen that occur in quite a while, but it might remain a possibility.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46660 on: March 10, 2016, 12:37:33 pm »

My expedition leader is now a confirmed pervert.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46661 on: March 10, 2016, 02:36:22 pm »

So, I'm back on the laptop, scrapped the old "7 dorfs in a sealed fort" idea to make things a tad more Fun. Scorching desert, aquifer, absolutely no trees or plants to be found. So what do we bring?

1 copper pick, 5 pig tail bags, 11 rock nuts. The rock nuts add up to another bag, the wagon is 3 logs, and the wagon came with 2 yaks.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Etc_Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46662 on: March 10, 2016, 03:22:12 pm »

Additionally, make sure the roof of your tree farm consists of at least one layer of full, unmined wall. If it's just mined-out roof (or worse, the surface) above it, it might punch through that thin roof when it grows. I haven't seen that occur in quite a while, but it might remain a possibility.

Thanks

The un-mined wall will be the in dirt/sand layer. It doesn't go very deep (dirt -1, sand -2) so I wondered if building a roof over the farm before digging out the land is a good idea.

And speaking of underground farms, I caught a few Elk birds. This means I may can breed them and sell them off to caravans (pet value 400) or butcher them (value x3) once the underground farm is ready.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46663 on: March 10, 2016, 03:51:17 pm »

Huehuehue. I should've endeavored to bring a couple barrels along, but oh well.

EDIT: Behold, the meager existence of Fallenglory. Their symbol? An image of 7 dwarves withering away, surrounded by quarry bushes, while a blazing sun laughs at their plight.

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)

They were dumped here in the desert. With a pick, they carve a safe space and access to the groundwater. With the yaks, they have enough meat to last them until the rock nuts start to yield their crop. A few empty bags ensure they can process the leaves, providing a source of food but not booze. And the wagon wood provides a spare two workshops at a time, and the means to barricade themselves in, away from the wicked sun and whatever starving beasts brave the harsh wilds.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:24:45 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Etc_Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46664 on: March 10, 2016, 05:39:04 pm »

That's it! There isn't any lava in layer 2 from what I can see. I'm going straight to z -100. Cavern layer 3 is going to be skipped since there isn't a guarantee there is magma there either. Bloodmen won't be a concern since any random civilian can punch one to death easily. Once my smelting operations are underway more lethal traps will be put in place and logging can finally continue.
Pages: 1 ... 3109 3110 [3111] 3112 3113 ... 3842