Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3099 3100 [3101] 3102 3103 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123056 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46500 on: March 02, 2016, 03:08:57 am »

A FB with a deadly breath attack is really deadly.

All melee dwarves who attacked a certain beetle FB died shortly after.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46501 on: March 02, 2016, 02:29:26 pm »

One of my dwarves was just found dead, dehydrated in the middle of my tavern, half a dozen tiles away from a stockpile with hundreds of booze. He wasn't drained of blood, like you'd expect from a vampire, but just "dehydrated" as if he'd been stuck in the top of a tree, or walled himself into a dead end. But he's right in the middle of the tavern. There are no burrows in effect, either. I haven't even created any burrows in this fort. Odd...

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46502 on: March 02, 2016, 03:21:33 pm »

A question.

I'm on a high-megabeast large world.

The liaison always brings news of around 5 expeditions reclaiming sites.

My last few migrant waves have had a lot of expedition-type dwarves - likes being outdoors, adequate performers and craploads of music and poetry, and many even have dabbling-novice in swimmer.

Are all the other settlements going through a reclaim/megabeast wreck cycle, and am I getting the survivors? Should I be concerned for the survival of my civ? There are still about a dozen figures listed in my civilisation when I check the civ screen.

Of course, I could do a save duplicate and peek at Legends.

EDIT: Actually, I'm noticing most of them don't seem to have prior group affiliations. So does that rule out failed reclaim attempts? A lot of them have the "Trader" profession, too. Is there some other kind of non-fortress site which they could be refugees from? Like a little hill dwarf village or something? I don't have a good understanding of the various sites because I've never played adventure mode.

If a good number have weapon skills or the trader profession, then chances are those are the generated caravaneers from past caravans showing up, now that they exist.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46503 on: March 02, 2016, 03:59:22 pm »

I am plotting to add a hospital just in case the dorfs get themselves injured, but I suspect that with only 7 locked in a reanimation zone, any injury might spell the end of Coldtomb.

That said, I DO have a personal tomb for each dwarf, so assuming whatever kills them doesn't mangle the corpse (which is what allowed us to safely inter the first outpost liaison), there's a chance I can lock a dead dwarf away before they get back up.

EDIT: Holy shit.

Nevermind, fuck the caverns, the undead can HAVE them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:36:16 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46504 on: March 02, 2016, 05:04:43 pm »

One of my dwarves was just found dead, dehydrated in the middle of my tavern, half a dozen tiles away from a stockpile with hundreds of booze. He wasn't drained of blood, like you'd expect from a vampire, but just "dehydrated" as if he'd been stuck in the top of a tree, or walled himself into a dead end. But he's right in the middle of the tavern. There are no burrows in effect, either. I haven't even created any burrows in this fort. Odd...
There's something with arm injuries, forgot exactly what. My guess is he injured his drinking arm, and wasn't able to use a mug for a drink job, but since he still had one arm, he couldn't drink from the barrel either (double arm amputees drink straight from the barrel)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46505 on: March 02, 2016, 05:04:58 pm »

I had a stupid idea. If I designate a meeting zone outside and declare it to be a tavern, open to all...let's see who will be dumb enough to visit The Stupid Inn.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46506 on: March 02, 2016, 05:08:30 pm »

A lot of people will come out of curiosity. So basically you're lying to them about having a tavern.
One wheel short of a wagon

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46507 on: March 02, 2016, 05:12:16 pm »

A lot of people will come out of curiosity. So basically you're lying to them about having a tavern.

"Come to The Stupid Inn! We got a nice, open dance floor! Lots of interesting wildlife to see! And drinks* are free!"

*By "drinks" we mean the rain of goblin blood.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46508 on: March 02, 2016, 05:15:33 pm »

Oh, nice move.

Go on, just rub it in other people's faces that you have a more efficient method of readying visitor bodies for looting than death by alcholism.

We don't mind.
One wheel short of a wagon

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46509 on: March 02, 2016, 05:17:12 pm »

Oh, nice move.

Go on, just rub it in other people's faces that you have a more efficient method of readying visitor bodies for looting than death by alcholism.

We don't mind.

Does the fact that I'm neither willing nor able to loot the bodies make that better or worse? o3o
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46510 on: March 02, 2016, 05:19:37 pm »

There's something with arm injuries, forgot exactly what. My guess is he injured his drinking arm, and wasn't able to use a mug for a drink job, but since he still had one arm, he couldn't drink from the barrel either (double arm amputees drink straight from the barrel)

Geez.... They can only drink with one of their arms??? That's really pathetic. I can do pretty much everything but write with either hand (because writing from left to right is just impractical with the left hand), and I'm actually better with a foil or rapier in my left hand (and was doing so long before I ever heard of The Princess Bride). I feel kinda sorry for people who are strongly handed, but someone who can only drink with one hand is so bad I can't even feel sorry for them. He deserved to die of thirst with a mug of beer in his hand, if he was so bad with that hand that he couldn't even manage to get it to his lips.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46511 on: March 02, 2016, 05:23:10 pm »

Huehuehue. It's far more likely that he just took so long to haul his ass to the stockpiles that he dehydrated. Especially if he had previously been busy with a time-consuming task farther away from the booze. Like, for example, architecture for a large bridge/road using primarily boulders. It seems to vary just how far a dwarf will wait before canceling their task to go tend to a need.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46512 on: March 02, 2016, 07:13:30 pm »

Finally I found some candy. But fps had already dropped below 35. I don't know if it's a good idea to strike HFS.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46513 on: March 02, 2016, 07:14:17 pm »

I know that the wiki cited at least one older personality facet as affecting how long a dwarf will wait before canceling a task to take care of needs, so it's possible that there are more factors via personality and/or values.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46514 on: March 02, 2016, 07:22:42 pm »

For some reason, my norsemen won't ready a plot of land to grow rope reeds. At the very least they diligently sow long yams, turnips, and cabbage to sustain us. We need stone desperately, as we lack other means to create mechanisms, and cannot build strong walls with wood alone.

Another attempt upon the aquifer is a must.
Pages: 1 ... 3099 3100 [3101] 3102 3103 ... 3842