Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3075 3076 [3077] 3078 3079 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095003 times)

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46140 on: February 15, 2016, 12:06:23 pm »

Well, in my fort, I have begun preparations for a sacrifice chamber. This chamber works simply by having a huge bridge the retracts over a massive pit a magma, which is surrounded by engravings of every major species dying in gruesome ways. My favorite is where a dwarf is destroying an oak log, and a million elves are screaming. I'm considering having an observation room in my tavern, so my visitors can see the wonders of mass murder.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46141 on: February 15, 2016, 12:09:37 pm »

Well, in my fort, I have begun preparations for a sacrifice chamber. This chamber works simply by having a huge bridge the retracts over a massive pit a magma, which is surrounded by engravings of every major species dying in gruesome ways. My favorite is where a dwarf is destroying an oak log, and a million elves are screaming. I'm considering having an observation room in my tavern, so my visitors can see the wonders of mass murder.

Oh that should be Fun. Just be careful how to rig up the observation deck. Glass windows? Better hope a flying building destroyer never arrives. Fortifications? Just make sure it isn't exposed to fire from invaders, and magma mist is the only thing to worry about. X3
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46142 on: February 15, 2016, 12:11:28 pm »

Oh that should be Fun. Just be careful how to rig up the observation deck. Glass windows? Better hope a flying building destroyer never arrives. Fortifications? Just make sure it isn't exposed to fire from invaders, and magma mist is the only thing to worry about. X3

The pit is separate from the caverns, so I should be fine on that. I was planning on using glass, but I'm beginning to thank that I should do something more interesting. Any suggestions?
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46143 on: February 15, 2016, 12:14:10 pm »

Not sure. Thing is, I kinda wish that constructed glass walls were see-through. Last I checked they aren't, right? o.O
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46144 on: February 15, 2016, 12:16:48 pm »

Not sure. Thing is, I kinda wish that constructed glass walls were see-through. Last I checked they aren't, right? o.O
I don't think so, but it's the though that counts.

Perhaps a balcony of sorts, placed where the screaming sacrifices to Armok won't hit it, without walls. The threat of innocent bargoers possibly falling into magma because they dodged during a barfight is... entertaining.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46145 on: February 15, 2016, 02:45:04 pm »

Someday, Toady will make glass walls and floors see-through. Someday, we'll be making the roofs of our greenhouses out of glass not because we're on the honor system, but because it wouldn't work if we made them out of anything else. Someday.....
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46146 on: February 15, 2016, 03:09:57 pm »

Haha cochramd, your sig made me think of this old picture I made ages ago:

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46147 on: February 15, 2016, 03:19:32 pm »

Someday, Toady will make glass walls and floors see-through. Someday, we'll be making the roofs of our greenhouses out of glass not because we're on the honor system, but because it wouldn't work if we made them out of anything else. Someday.....

One day, the dwarves will become sentient and spell out expletives with their bodies. One day, they shall take over all other computer systems and turn them all into masterwork socks. One day, we'll get a new interface that isn't like a big block of sand you have to put your hand through to keep everyone alive. Not soon, though.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #46148 on: February 15, 2016, 04:07:46 pm »

So, I made a vrykul "fortress", and gotta say, making an above-ground mining town, as opposed to a classic dwarven-style fort, is pretty fun.

I have a hole dug in the mountain where my workers go for mining expeditions, in front of it I have several houses (also one which is bigger and like a "noblemans house" which houses several families), a pub and a 2-story inn which temporarily also serves as a barracks. Once I get enough stone and make more houses on the other side of the river I'll make a big great wall around the perimeter to protect everyone in town from beasts.
Also helps having good diplomatic relations with centaurs and, uhhh, "borrowing" war lions and tiger-buffalo's from a nearby elven civ.

I still lost several vrykul due to some of them eating plants that cause them to transform into massive, fatty, legless mutants (first person that died was the wife of another migrant, who himself died later, so I guess they're atleast together now), but overall it's been going fairly well.

I still need to get a stronger military, though. I have access to iron and copper ores, which helps.

Gotta say though, pretty funny playing as an aggressive race, especially since they quarrel a lot. Leads to job cancellations on unfinished houses and fights until one of them is knocked unconscious.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46149 on: February 15, 2016, 05:07:05 pm »

I just got an artifact instrument! I'm placing it at my "Praising Place" in the temple, which is like a stand, but with more gold.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #46150 on: February 15, 2016, 07:15:34 pm »

Oookay, having people randomly start fights over arguments stopped being so funny when one of my workers got knocked off a bridge into water, lost consciousness and drowned.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46151 on: February 15, 2016, 07:27:43 pm »

Oookay, having people randomly start fights over arguments stopped being so funny when one of my workers got knocked off a bridge into water, lost consciousness and drowned.
But...

That's absloutely hilarious

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #46152 on: February 15, 2016, 07:30:29 pm »

So I was afk-ing my cavern wall-off-collapse project when I met another banal megabeast message.
And then I read the message.

Holy Armok!!! WHAT IS THIS?!???

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46153 on: February 15, 2016, 07:43:38 pm »

So I was afk-ing my cavern wall-off-collapse project when I met another banal megabeast message.

That is a roc. Expect lots of fun as it will probably eat your FPS just derping around between being a murder-machine (its also tamable & breedable if you can catch it)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46154 on: February 15, 2016, 07:46:30 pm »

The oncoming apocalypse in the form of a bigass bird. !!Fun!!
Pages: 1 ... 3075 3076 [3077] 3078 3079 ... 3842