Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3073 3074 [3075] 3076 3077 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095233 times)

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46110 on: February 13, 2016, 05:40:21 am »

Why not generic cavein method?
I would love to, but there isn't any material above the aquifer to drop into it. My entire fort is built on 1 z-level because I only have one...
And the aquifer is at least 3 level's deep. Maybe more.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #46111 on: February 13, 2016, 07:17:40 am »

Wow. I feel the answer may be pumps, but I've never been mad enough to try.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46112 on: February 13, 2016, 08:06:06 am »

I never embark on aquifers. I did break aquifers using pumps, caveins, and freeze-overs once or twice, but the time and effort it takes makes me not want to do that on normal forts. I don't think I've ever breached a 3 layer deep aquifer using pumps, although I guess it should be possible, if you have enough free space to work with.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #46113 on: February 13, 2016, 08:16:06 am »

I never embark on aquifers. I did break aquifers using pumps, caveins, and freeze-overs once or twice, but the time and effort it takes makes me not want to do that on normal forts. I don't think I've ever breached a 3 layer deep aquifer using pumps, although I guess it should be possible, if you have enough free space to work with.
It is possible to make it through three layers with pumps, I already did that this fort. It's the fourth layer's different pattern that's making it difficult (Maybe layer 4 is a second aquifer?). I thought I was through after 3 layers, dug one tile, and the whole thing flooded.
I'm currently just re-pumping back down to the fourth layer to try again. You really don't need much space luckily, 2 by 4 is enough.

hinric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46114 on: February 13, 2016, 02:41:25 pm »

My fort was besieged by four elves sent on behalf of the goblin civilization "The Decisive Nightmare". Too bad for them that a bronze colossus had beaten them to it and was prowling around my sealed-off fort when they arrived. Three elves are already dead, the fourth is unconscious and being slapped with a silk glove that the colossus must have nabbed from one of the elves.

Edit: One of the elf bowmen (attacking on behalf of the goblin civilization) has been assigned a burial place.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 04:15:53 pm by hinric »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46115 on: February 13, 2016, 04:03:47 pm »

In my raw-fiddled game, my goblins punched a undead jaguar enough in a non-lethal brawl until it lost the will to live and wandered off the map again without gathering much more aggression. Weasel corpses on the other hand have been relentless.

All i wanted was some strangler apes to make my demon overlord proud  :-X

Lightfoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46116 on: February 13, 2016, 04:23:31 pm »

Just enjoying all the scope for new artworks. I never took statues seriously before beyond the value, but I'm now commissioning some real masterpieces:

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46117 on: February 13, 2016, 05:02:29 pm »

Just got my second artefact war hammer - this one's gold. Does the density make it a good weapon, or is the material too soft to be useful, do you think?

The material properties generally are most important for edged weapons and armor. For blunt weapons, density tends to be more important. Though if I recall, a blunt weapon's impact values become more useful if facing an armored target. It's enough that steel and silver are about considered tied for the best choices for blunt weapons. Gold, being even denser than silver, might thus be good in general.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46118 on: February 13, 2016, 06:47:59 pm »

Just enjoying all the scope for new artworks. I never took statues seriously before beyond the value, but I'm now commissioning some real masterpieces:

Sonic, Tails and Knuckles?

xqvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46119 on: February 13, 2016, 08:15:54 pm »

The first artifact of my new fortress is a mitten. Going by the description, it's a blob of brown recluse silk.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #46120 on: February 13, 2016, 08:23:52 pm »

Decided to make a new fort, with in 5 minutes one log slit both miner's throats open...well good thing I brought extra slaves farm dwarves in case something happened!
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46121 on: February 13, 2016, 09:02:53 pm »

I just reclaimed a worldgenned fort, and managed a very odd coincidence...  The fort hit a natural magma pipe dead-on, but generated levels all the way down to the magma sea anyway, straight through the lava.  This is the result:

...100 levels beneath the lava, it is slowly seeping *up* into the forges from beneath.  So much for all those anvils.

But its not like I could have gotten to them anyway:

On the upside, the magma crabs will have doors and mazes to traverse before finding their way up to harass me.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:11:40 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #46122 on: February 13, 2016, 10:11:38 pm »

I just reclaimed a worldgenned fort, and managed a very odd coincidence...  The fort hit a natural magma pipe dead-on, but generated levels all the way down to the magma sea anyway, straight through the lava.  This is the result:

...100 levels beneath the lava, it is slowly seeping *up* into the forges from beneath.  So much for all those anvils.

But its not like I could have gotten to them anyway:

On the upside, the magma crabs will have doors and mazes to traverse before finding their way up to harass me.

Sick, bro. You thinking of ever draining all that stuff out?
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46123 on: February 13, 2016, 10:48:23 pm »

Siege...siege never comes...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #46124 on: February 13, 2016, 11:39:10 pm »

So... platinum crutches: effective sidearms for injured militia, or extravagant waste of resources glorious demonstration of our overseer's munificence?
Actually, this test I found suggests it can be a good method, albeit not one worth intentionally crippling your militia for.  Since in your case your militiadorfs are already crippled, there's no real reason not to go for it, I think. ^_^
Pages: 1 ... 3073 3074 [3075] 3076 3077 ... 3842