Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3060 3061 [3062] 3063 3064 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094694 times)

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45915 on: January 31, 2016, 03:01:56 pm »

...well, the siege got splattered with ease.  The dwarves must have taken some pointers to the shields being used to stop bolts, and promptly took down the goblins.

Kinda a shame I could not try my system of defense against the two, let alone sling a minecart at high speeds at them.  (They were literally at the border)

Blue McRanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45916 on: January 31, 2016, 03:27:32 pm »

I can't tell whether I found the magma sea or if I embarked over a volcano. No candy yet but I've got one central spire of magma beginning around the 2nd cavern.

I'm normally paranoid about caverns, and I wall them off right away, but this time I'm going to try placing a barracks where I breached the second one. Free training and loot? Free training and loot.

I have also not seen any "monster hunters" visit yet although I have plenty of poets and mercenaries. Scholars appear to be rare, although my current pride and joy is a goblin scholar who works my furnaces when she's not in the library.

I have this interesting human hammerman citizen called Cadi who married another human citizen. This wife, Tod, died in the last siege but Cadi is unconcerned, as is the human child they bore, Endok, two years after they apparently married in my fortress. Endok dreams of making a great discovery. Cadi spends his time worshipping gods of misery and torture and not giving a flip about his war wounds. He only sticks around the hosital long enough to grab a crutch and then he's off again, sometimes without a cast or sutures.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45917 on: January 31, 2016, 04:28:21 pm »

A planter of mine has fallen victim to the "dwarves getting stuck in trees" bug!

This was NOT in a plant gathering zone (I have already designated several, and none of them have yet proved fatal).

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45918 on: January 31, 2016, 05:12:00 pm »

Once summer comes, the farms in the old greenhouse will be left fallow forever. Hopefully, this will free up enough labor to get the new greenhouse set up without much fuss. I've noticed that I might have room near the new greenhouse for some nearby underground farms (which I currently have none of), which has gotten me thinking about my agriculture and my textiles and what I should do in future forts.......seriously considering dropping this fort and not playing DF again until 42.06 comes out.

For the moment, however, I've decided that I will stick all my farms, plant-processing farmers workshops, stills, mills, querns and screw presses together. Now here's my dilemma: my looms and clothiers shops are 77 stories below with the livestock, butcher shops, shearing and milking stations, cheesemaking station and ktichens. Should I move my looms up too? And what about my clothier shops?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45919 on: January 31, 2016, 05:35:13 pm »

Well, I've been gathering ALL the plants once more, and trying to breach the cavern layer (with no success in either endeavor). I've designated a lot of stones to be dumped to clear the area. I've had a room designated as a temple (not devoted to a specific diety), and I caught a dwarf (one of the performers who had joined my fort via petition) meditating on murder.

Well, that's not totally forboding.

Anyway... Since peformers count as nobles, I happen to have a considerable number (around thirty).

I've been doing a lot more trading, this time I've been able to not anger the dwarven caravan into immediately leaving.

Not sure what to do at this point, maybe just build up my military or maybe even retire the fort and start a new one elsewhere.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45920 on: January 31, 2016, 06:07:28 pm »

.....I've had a room designated as a temple (not devoted to a specific diety), and I caught a dwarf (one of the performers who had joined my fort via petition) meditating on murder.

Oh, don't worry, it's just him worshipping a deity whose portfolio includes murder. He's no more likely to murder someone than any other given dwarf.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45921 on: January 31, 2016, 08:39:42 pm »

.....I've had a room designated as a temple (not devoted to a specific diety), and I caught a dwarf (one of the performers who had joined my fort via petition) meditating on murder.

Oh, don't worry, it's just him worshipping a deity whose portfolio includes murder. He's no more likely to murder someone than any other given dwarf.
Which is really rather disappointing, all things considered.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45922 on: January 31, 2016, 11:26:37 pm »

Just discovered something I didn't know about burrows. If a dwarf is assigned to a burrow that doesn't include a hospital, other dwarves (even those who are allowed to go to the hospital) won't carry him to a hospital.

I'm doing a science fort, testing falling damage. My first test group was assigned to a nice tidy burrow to keep them from forming relationships with the staff. When I dropped them 5 levels, I expected a bunch of other dwarves to rush in ans haul the survivors to my hospital. And indeed, a dwarf immediately rushed into the test chamber, went next to one of the test subjects, and just stopped. So I checked to see what he was doing. Cleaning. Great, 9 dying dwarves on the floor, and this guy stops to wipe up a pool of blood. Then I added the hospital to the test group 1 burrow, and suddenly a bunch of dwarves rush to haul away the wounded.

BTW, dropping 5 levels onto schist resulted in 1 smashed head fatality, 9 unconscious from pain, ans 1 still conscious and still functional. While the rest are getting hauled to the hospital, he's headed back to his waiting area to plant some seeds. Just a couple of bruised legs and a nose that's mangled beyond recognition. His thought at this time is "I feel so good!"

Ahhh, this might explain it: "She feels euphoric due to inebriation."
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #45923 on: January 31, 2016, 11:31:44 pm »

Well, I embarked on a Vault. For some reason the inhabitants are considered tame, despite killing my citizens on sight.
I'm currently planning to make a library for them, because I seem to be able to appoint them as scholars. Hopefully it works out.

I just need to breach a two layer aquifer... The first time I tried I messed up on the last tile and flooded my passage through with 6 deep water. :(

Also, looking through legends mode it appears my civ's king was the first person to discover basic shapes! And a few other things... He was a pretty great mathematician before becoming king.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45924 on: January 31, 2016, 11:35:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You might want to put that in spoilers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45925 on: February 01, 2016, 01:23:53 am »

As hunger grips the fortress and everyone but a tiny handful of dwarves are hunting for vermin to survive, a blessing comes: Draltha!

Col. Dobar rushes out alone, Bembul utterly worthless in his desperate hunger. Hopefully he can fell even just one, and save the fledgling ice hall.

EDIT: Success! Three dralthas fall to the swordsdwarf (along with a troll,) saving the place from certain death! The Colonel has earned himself a real bedroom of his own.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45926 on: February 01, 2016, 01:57:39 am »

The expedition leader/broker was beaten by a kea, A KEA!
He got a broken arm and a fractured shoulder trying to defend the trade depot. Damn those elves never bring archers with them.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45927 on: February 01, 2016, 06:26:11 am »

@Copper barrels:  I know it's quite common, though I'm definitely going to think on some uses for the metal, besides being my starting military garb.

As for my fort, two crossbow goblins decided to sit on the border, in the name of besieging my fortress.  Maybe I should set up a ballistic weapon for them and make them regret their decision.  On another note, the fortress is getting the library set up, along with separate temples for each deity, and preparing a melee platoon.
this and the pots discussion after makes me think of catapults chucking pots of lye.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45928 on: February 01, 2016, 06:38:08 am »

... bruh
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45929 on: February 01, 2016, 07:54:17 am »

Another kill for my militia commander, with no losses or injuries on my side. Truly, I am blessed to be getting FBs once every season on average at a time where I can handle it so very well.

Pages: 1 ... 3060 3061 [3062] 3063 3064 ... 3842