Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3039 3040 [3041] 3042 3043 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121935 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45600 on: January 17, 2016, 11:48:45 pm »

Build 30 pumps and make everyone operate them. Your dwarfs will turn into heavyweights pretty quickly and that goblin will finally be TKO'd for good.

There are some very heavy and very dangerous dwarves among the citizenry already, this being a Child Care fortress. I'm assuming the troublemaker goblin has just been either very lucky or very clever to survive this far.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45601 on: January 17, 2016, 11:58:06 pm »

Build 30 pumps and make everyone operate them. Your dwarfs will turn into heavyweights pretty quickly and that goblin will finally be TKO'd for good.

There are some very heavy and very dangerous dwarves among the citizenry already, this being a Child Care fortress. I'm assuming the troublemaker goblin has just been either very lucky or very clever to survive this far.

Must've learned how to take a punch from a grot.

---

Settled an allegedly haunted biome, seeking to face the undead in my first evil embark since v40 came out. All I got was otters and goblin blood rains. The points wasted on early defense gear means starvation is a very credible threat right now, though chicken eggs and fish might make for some palatable, if bizarre, dishes to keep the settlers going.

Built the bottom portion of a tavern and some basic housing beneath it. Working on a living area in a layer of rocksalt right now, which will hopefully be pleasing to look at.

I wonder when the necromancers will attack...

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45602 on: January 18, 2016, 01:12:09 am »

Have you settled near a Tower?
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45603 on: January 18, 2016, 01:18:05 am »

Yup. Normally I don't even have secrets in play, because zombies were stupidly broken (I once lost an entire competent militia to a single deer skeleton, it was so bad,) but i figured I'd have no zombies to contend with given the sparse attempts in v40.24 having painfully tame inhabitants and I wanna see the zombie nerf in play for myself.

Hence a tower nearby.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #45604 on: January 18, 2016, 01:19:35 am »

How strange.  Started a Terrifying Glacier embark on a lark with a very limited population limit.  FPS regularly tanks to anywhere from 3-24 in spite of only having 10 citizens and never more than a half-dozen zombies marching around outside, which I'm guessing is a combination of issues:
1. Fog weather strongly tanks the FPS every time a cloud appears due to the relevant calculations.
2. Running a 5x5 embark (I like zombies entering the map well away from me) greatly increases pathing calculations and thus FPS issues, but it has never caused these concerns before on this machine.  Still a first time for everything, and it's a well-known and -documented effect.
3. I'm not sure, but there might be stuff buried in the caverns I haven't cracked yet (5-layer aquifers are fun; I only just froze my way through in late autumn)

But I don't really want to restart...

EDIT: Oh, and a new version popped up as well today.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:32:15 am by Culise »

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45605 on: January 18, 2016, 01:28:22 am »

Yup. Normally I don't even have secrets in play, because zombies were stupidly broken (I once lost an entire competent militia to a single deer skeleton, it was so bad,) but i figured I'd have no zombies to contend with given the sparse attempts in v40.24 having painfully tame inhabitants and I wanna see the zombie nerf in play for myself.

Hence a tower nearby.

To be honest I hadn't even realized Toady released the new version today! I knew it was coming but I usually come straight to the forums. My current fort, Cavegrips, is feeling a bit stale and since it's nowhere near a tower methinks I'll be starting anew this evening.
I just atom smashed 30 children.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45606 on: January 18, 2016, 02:36:08 am »

It can take a while, but cave adaptation is indeed curable.
For what purpose?

For not being too busy puking up their own guts when trying to fight a werebeast before it enters the fort?
That's one of multiple reasons why you always set up a long underground hallway as the only entrance to your fortress. Sure, it takes longer to haul things from outside, but you can also fill it with traps to handle the brunt (if not the entirety) of any sieges you get and kill any local wildlife foolish enough to wander in. You can even stick a ballista or two at the back end if you're expecting something with trapavoid or sieges too big for your trapline to handle, or if you just want to fire at randomly passing wildlife.

So, apparently I'm not going to get any sleep tonight, but it's okay, there's a lot going on in my fort.

A mass smoothing has begun, and 123 dwarfs completely inexperienced (well, to begin with anyways) are working away at it. I'm not sure whether they'll all get to Legendary+5 Engraver between this and the ensuing mass engraving; if not, I'll need to smooth and engrave some more.

I have thus far caught 6 male cave crocodiles and 1 female one. One of the males was gay according to Dwarf Therapist, so I ordered him slaughtered. However, this still does not solve the issue that the female seems to be laying no eggs whatsoever. They show up neither in my kitchen menu nor in my prepared meals (though I didn't look too hard through the latter). Would DT tell me if she couldn't lay eggs for some reason?

A giant toad, instead of wandering into my cage traps, jumped up 2 z-levels out of the water into a staircase and was killed by stonefall traps that I had intended for troglodytes. Guess I better wall up that staircase. I do, however, have a breeding pair of giant toads now.

I have picked out my future military and warrior-scholars. Remember that speardwarf I mentioned earlier? I looked at her in more detail, and apparently her dream is to make a great discovery; a dream she will no doubt fulfill. Also, I was surprised to find that she was married to another one of the dwarfs I had selected as a warrior-scholar! Their marriage should be having some very interesting development soon. I kind of wish they'd have kids, because apart from their atrocious disease resistance and healing rates they've got some pretty damned good stats.

The elves and the humans are at war again. The elf ambassador told me of an elf site conquered by the human civilization, and the human ambassador told me that the humans gave up trying to hold onto the site. The site had Seal in its name, so it must've been somewhere by the sea. Come to think of it, I'M by the sea. Sure, there ocean isn't in my 3x3 embark, but it would be if I'd gone for a bigger embark. You know, I hope that the humans never figure out that the metal arrows I buy from them get sold to the elves in the spring......

Oh, and I almost forgot: THE KIDS ARE FINALLY GROWING UP!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 02:40:59 am by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45607 on: January 18, 2016, 05:09:54 am »

Were-Goat's going on...  >:(

I started one fort in a cold/freezing untamed wilderness, no anvil, no dwarven caravan and the aim to build the greatest above-ground tavern in the world out of wood blocks. It didn't go too bad for almost 2 years and even attracted some skilled goblin mercenaries. I have to get used to this, as I was especting them as enemies, but they were very welcome since my mililtary consisted of 5 recruits with 2 battle axes to share between them. I had just managed to finish a massive pump stack to get water from the caverns when the were-goat arrived.

This was the first serious contact with any were-beast for me, so I didn't worry too much, just skimmed over the combat reports after it was killed and continued with the building projects... One month later, I learned a very hard lesson: After a werebeast attack, read all the reports, line by line, twice. The militia commander, a skilled wrestler had been bitten and managed to infect the whole military and 2 civilians before going down. So I was left with 6 (physically) healthy dwarves, a horde of were-goats and a wide selection of dangerous wildlife.

This was a bit too much Fun for me, so I abandoned the fort to come back later and started again just a bit south of the old location to try again. This time I took an anvil, found some huge hematite veins and was generally content with the situation. I was even happier, when the second migration arrived and brought me some proficient workers and even some decent soldiers. They had just settled down in the new common room of our tavern when the full moon arrived... I think, you know the rest. It was the remaining dwarves from my old fort, all goatified and ready to kill. Basically the same thing as before and I don't feel like making a were-everything fortress right now, especially since it doesn't work so well with an "everybody welcome" tavern.

I will abandon this world now and hope to generate something with normal enemies like carp-elfephants or undead kea-goblins. All kinds of goats are banned from my forts now.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45608 on: January 18, 2016, 05:20:10 am »

Damn, a tavern serving were-kebab would have been amazing :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45609 on: January 18, 2016, 06:23:55 am »

You work with magma, someone always gets burned/melted alive.

You work with large amounts of water, and someone always decides to go for a swim. Sometimes, many someones.

In the end, it IS inevitable.

But hey, the coolant injectors work like a charm.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45610 on: January 18, 2016, 07:08:03 am »

Just got crazy lucky starting a new fort. I keep trying to find a nice seaside peninsula to start on, but they're tricky to locate. Anyways I found a decent one but I knew it had an aquifer so I started by digging a few test shafts. One of the them hit a magnetite vein. I ended up picking my way carefully through it and found out the aquifer was 7 Z levels deep, but now I have a somewhat curvy 3x3 stairway through my magnetite vein with no pumping necessary. And hey, I've got iron right off the bat.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45611 on: January 18, 2016, 08:09:38 am »

Posting from school; I saved the game right after the caravan arrived, so I have that to look forward to when I get home. The solidification was going quickly and quite nicely, but to my absolute horror not more than a few minutes passed before fungiwood saplings started sprouting on the newly formed obsidian. I know it takes years for trees to grow, but like hell am I going to waste any time getting the magma for the next layer. I am NOT letting trees ruin my obsidian casting again.

I took a look at my animals in DT, and was surprised how many were gay, bisexual or asexual. I've picked up small herds of yak and water buffalo and they were hit the hardest of anything in my fort. A yak cow and my 2 yak calves? Asexual. My one and only water buffalo bull? Asexual. Ordered them slaughtered on the spot. Hopefully the caravan will have suitable replacements.

Do it anyways. Worst case scenario, nobody gains any attributes but some dwarfs get happy thoughts from improving their skills and now you're all set if you need to pump something in a hurry and don't have the time to set up a water reactor.

Just got crazy lucky starting a new fort. I keep trying to find a nice seaside peninsula to start on, but they're tricky to locate. Anyways I found a decent one but I knew it had an aquifer so I started by digging a few test shafts. One of the them hit a magnetite vein. I ended up picking my way carefully through it and found out the aquifer was 7 Z levels deep, but now I have a somewhat curvy 3x3 stairway through my magnetite vein with no pumping necessary. And hey, I've got iron right off the bat.
Lucky, lucky bastard you.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45612 on: January 18, 2016, 09:23:03 am »

Now that's lucky indeed
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45613 on: January 18, 2016, 10:24:33 am »

Were-Goat's going on...  >:(

Wait the beast out. Wait until it turns into a human. Lock down your fort during that time. Close up the gate, forbid the doors, whatever.

Then, when the beast turns human, you can kill it!

It worked for me.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45614 on: January 18, 2016, 12:53:25 pm »

The shaft from the surface is finished.  It goes from a hilltop on the surface down through all 3 caverns, about 50 z levels to my underground farms.  It permits me to grow sliver barbs, hideroot, strawberries, whip vines, and Longland grass in safety and convenience.

I have no local sand, but through trade I am gradually covering the shaft with clear glass (I know it doesn't have to be glass, but it's an aesthetic choice).  I'm not sure whether invaders would dare to leap down that vertiginousness, but right now the clouds of infernal ash sink directly into the farm if they drift over the hole and rot the farmers.

My only regret is not being able to find any blade weed to have all four dyes.  The elves have stopped coming and they never had plants or seeds anyways.  It was hard enough finding an evil biome with sliver barbs that didn't immediately kill me, so I'm doing my best not to be ungrateful.
Pages: 1 ... 3039 3040 [3041] 3042 3043 ... 3842