Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3038 3039 [3040] 3041 3042 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121789 times)

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45585 on: January 17, 2016, 11:51:06 am »

Lower level room for nobles flooded with magma from volcano, the rooms being made of ice, turned into obsidian + steam and made +Steamed Dwarf+ out of my nobles, im actually kinda happy, but i need to be more careful with my volcanic glacier :P

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45586 on: January 17, 2016, 11:58:41 am »

I swear, I TRIED not to have my miners be killed by magma this time. But it seems that Litast the Brand of Flickers (my civilization's deity of fire, volcanos and mountains) must always take her toll whenever I crack open the volcano for obsidian casting.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45587 on: January 17, 2016, 12:04:19 pm »

I've discovered the abililty to automine gem clusters and mineral veins. Yay!

I've had a dwarf elected mayor. They've mandated the creation of bracelets several times in a row. I don't know if they like bracelets or something, but I obliged.

Two artifacts have been made. One a clear tourmaline instrument, another a scepter of stone (If I remember correctly) decorated with wool and more stone.

My dwarves have been killing emus and other animals during hunting, meaning I now have meat and bones. I hadn't given a dwarf butchery labor, but I was able to do so before the corpses started rotting.

More plants. More stockpiles, more pots. I actually have more pots filled with plants/prepared meals than I have drink pots. Interesting... and somewhat worrying.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #45588 on: January 17, 2016, 12:06:11 pm »

ok, magma flow stopped....yay  no !!FUN!! happened... to everyone but a greedy duke *points to the +Steamed Duke+*

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45589 on: January 17, 2016, 12:28:08 pm »

More plants. More stockpiles, more pots. I actually have more pots filled with plants/prepared meals than I have drink pots. Interesting... and somewhat worrying.
Step 1: Open the z-menu and go into the kitchen menu.
Step 2: Forbid all your booze from being cooked.
Step 3: Forbid any brewable plants from being cooked, as well as any that you wish to farm.
Step 4: Repeat steps 1-3 every now and then until you're sure that you've forbidden all varieties of booze and brewable plants from cooking.

You'll still probably end up with more food pots than booze pots, but at least you won't have to worry about having a booze shortage because all the booze and brewable plants were cooked.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:37:47 pm by cochramd »

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45590 on: January 17, 2016, 03:41:34 pm »

That toothless, mangled wreck of a goblin bowman simply won't learn. Every time after she wakes up from her last beating she goes and picks another fight with a random tavern guest, and gets roughed up again. There are blood and teeth EVERYWHERE.

Sooner or later she'll get unlucky and I'll have to bury what's left of her. Even nonlethal combat is likely to be very lethal when half of the fortress are basically mixed martial arts champions.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45591 on: January 17, 2016, 04:34:02 pm »

I set up a washing pool in the tunnel leading to the temples.

As of now, I have four (Count em!) human mercenary "guests" who have done nothing but sit in the pool of water while busy dorfs hustle past to and from their meditations and prayers. I think at least one of them has been sitting there for years.

ToasterKoishi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #45592 on: January 17, 2016, 05:08:19 pm »

Attempting to build a sphere in the middle of the sky, in the middle of the desert, out of glass. Pics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The radius is 11 tiles so the sphere needs something like 1400 blocks of glass to build... it's been almost three years and I'm not even done with half the main layers yet. If only I had a block of glass for every prepared meal I have

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45593 on: January 17, 2016, 05:12:42 pm »

The magma flowed much faster than expected and the casting chamber was very quickly. Unfortunately, the coolant injectors are nowhere near ready to go. There's still digging and channeling to be done, walls to be built, and thanks to those irritating troglodytes not all of the useful animals have been caught yet so a great many grates (heh) must be constructed to ensure that they are not sucked in. But I'm close. Oh, so very close. It's time to pick out my future soldiers and my future scholars and put them through their last bits of training. It's also time to train 30 new engravers or perhaps even more; can't have the same subjects being engraved over and over again, can we? Plus, the attributes trained are good for everyone.

That toothless, mangled wreck of a goblin bowman simply won't learn. Every time after she wakes up from her last beating she goes and picks another fight with a random tavern guest, and gets roughed up again. There are blood and teeth EVERYWHERE.

Sooner or later she'll get unlucky and I'll have to bury what's left of her. Even nonlethal combat is likely to be very lethal when half of the fortress are basically mixed martial arts champions.
Build 30 pumps and make everyone operate them. Your dwarfs will turn into heavyweights pretty quickly and that goblin will finally be TKO'd for good.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45594 on: January 17, 2016, 10:02:21 pm »

My mayor keeps mandating bracelets.

I made a mistake when I decided to gather all the plants at once. I have about 2k units of plants and about 1k units of prepared meals and other foods. In comparison, my drinks stockpile has run out.

The obvious solution: MORE POTS! BOOZE FOR THE BOOZE GOD! POTS FOR THE POT THRONE!

EDIT: SHIT.

SOMEONE DIED.

FROM DEHYDRATION!

(The ponds were frozen)

I HAD EVEN STARTED PRODUCING DRINKS!

DOUBLE EDIT: DEATH TOLL RISING!

Thankfully drink production has been restored!

Uvash, Tekkud, Erush, Obok.... I'm sorry. May you rest in peace. My condolences and apologies go out to you and your family.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:30:16 pm by AzyWng »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45595 on: January 17, 2016, 10:32:51 pm »

It can take a while, but cave adaptation is indeed curable. I'm putting all my dwarves on military training outside every once in a while. Some dwarves lose their adaptation after two to three weeks, others are still throwing up after nearly 2 months of training. Slowly but steadily though, there's less and less blue X's in the training group.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45596 on: January 17, 2016, 10:40:44 pm »

A werepig turned up and killed my military and two dwarves. My military was comprised of two other dwarves. I have forbidden the doors to my fortress. In fact, i'm just trying to lock everyone down.

STATUS UPDATE: Lockdown lifted.

Two doors open are unforbidden.

Most of my animals have been killed. Total death toll is 9 now, if you include the 3 from the fatal booze shortage.

*sigh*

Thankfully, when the werebeast turned back into a dwarf, an axedwarf that had stayed behind in the fort was able to take the werebeast out in one shot, slicing off its neck.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:48:54 pm by AzyWng »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45597 on: January 17, 2016, 10:48:42 pm »

It can take a while, but cave adaptation is indeed curable.
For what purpose?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45598 on: January 17, 2016, 11:12:54 pm »

It can take a while, but cave adaptation is indeed curable.
For what purpose?

For not being too busy puking up their own guts when trying to fight a werebeast before it enters the fort?

EDIT: My currently unnecessecary quest to mine the hell out of the mountain continues! I've been designating rows of 2xEmbark's size, and then automining the discovered minerals.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:46:52 pm by AzyWng »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45599 on: January 17, 2016, 11:18:52 pm »

Well yea, but it probably takes more effort than it's worth. They'll not be immune to be re-afflicted by cave adaptation afterwards.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 3038 3039 [3040] 3041 3042 ... 3842