Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3037 3038 [3039] 3040 3041 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121784 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45570 on: January 16, 2016, 08:46:12 pm »

Cavern trees (at least, tower caps and fungiwood) are still incredibly poor sources of wood.  One log from a tower cap, two logs from a fungiwood. :(
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45571 on: January 16, 2016, 08:51:52 pm »

You know how to build a safe greenhouse, right?

A safe greenhouse?

Safe?

Where's the fun in that?

At any rate, I seem to be having food storage issues, actually (some of my gathered plants have withered because they can't be stored)... So yeah.

Ah well, just construct additional pylons pots, add some more food stockpiles, etc.

A dwarf went into a strange mood and requested cloth thread and leather, despite the fact that we had both. I even butchered a goat so we had billy goat leather. Too bad, the guy went insane and attacked my dwarves. He somehow lost a limb or two before his death. I had a coffin made for him, and the body and its pieces were buried just as it was starting to rot.

The outpost liason failed to turn up. The dwarven caravan still arrived, however, as did two waves of migrants. A number of them have pretty high social skills, which makes me wonder.

My dining room/tavern is doing pretty well. I've recieved a number of visitors, including swordspeople, bards, and artists, and they've sung songs and recited poems and stories. A number of times, however, the singers/dancers wind up standing in a row near one of the room's edges or walls. Not sure what to think about that.

The stories are pretty short, though, things like "Urist McICan'tRememberTheirName became king in the year 16". I'm not sure that's normal.

I set up the dormitory (just a bunch of beds) and hospital (another bunch of beds separated by a wall and double doors). The Hospital's not quite complete, however.

Food stocks are looking pretty good. I may be getting more food than I can store, in fact, as I stated earlier. I'm trying to add a back room to the tavern where there's kitchens and stills (I put my food stockpile inside the tavern).

Metal industry is, for the most part, up and running. Just iron for now, but I hope to get more metals someday (I embarked in an area with multiple metals).

I'm wondering if I should mine out the edges of walls with exposed ores so that I can get at the ore, but that would mess up the room and make it look bad.

Hoping for more migrants so I can add them to a squad for military, in the meantime, going to try to set up a barracks.

Maybe set up stone crafts or some other industry (cloth and clothing seems good right now) so I can get trading materials.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45572 on: January 16, 2016, 08:55:35 pm »

a bronze spear named "The Silent Mother." I'll take it!
Your mom wasn't so silent when I gave her my spear!

/duck

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45573 on: January 16, 2016, 08:58:17 pm »

Beware the Dimpleankle. You snigger, sir, but what do you think "dimpled" Achilles?

Aren't dimples those little dents that appear sometimes when someone smiles? How is "dimpling" someone supposed to harm them?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45574 on: January 16, 2016, 10:31:58 pm »

A dwarf went into a strange mood and requested cloth thread and leather, despite the fact that we had both. I even butchered a goat so we had billy goat leather. Too bad, the guy went insane and attacked my dwarves.

Depending on the mood, you get varying levels of vagueness in the description of what the dwarf wants.

There are three different kinds of cloth (plant fiber, silk, and yarn).  If you had plant fiber cloth (pig tail, rope reed, etc.) then he might have wanted one of the other two kinds.  You can usually get a bunch of cave spider silk by opening the first cavern.  Yarn is harder to acquire in an emergency.  Either you have a shearable animal, or you don't.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #45575 on: January 17, 2016, 12:34:10 am »

Beware the Dimpleankle. You snigger, sir, but what do you think "dimpled" Achilles?

Aren't dimples those little dents that appear sometimes when someone smiles? How is "dimpling" someone supposed to harm them?

A 'dimple' is also any shallow dent in something. In something like an ankle, a 'shallow dent' could be... problematic.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45576 on: January 17, 2016, 04:50:51 am »

the flying =iron bolt=  strikes Ἀχιλλεύς Πηλεύς the Human Spearman in the left ankle, chipping the bone!
an artery has been opened by the attack and a tendon has been torn!
Ἀχιλλεύς Πηλεύς the Human Spearman has been knocked unconscious!
the =iron bolt= has lodged firmly in the wound!
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45577 on: January 17, 2016, 05:48:14 am »

I'm filling up a temple pool. After correcting a few E/w axles to make them n/s, The pump stack is flowing nicely.
Then the following occured:

1)"Oh, dear god, why is it leaking?!"
2)"Oh, dear god, things are on fire! Run dwarves!"

It ran over the sides, and dropped 7 z levels, onto the block/bar storage pile, and the wood stock pile. Things burned nicely at that point, and a scholar is now missing.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #45578 on: January 17, 2016, 09:00:12 am »

My fort has entered a major construction phase, which means I have to restart the game client once every half-hour.   :)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45579 on: January 17, 2016, 09:30:56 am »

I just realized that in like the fourth year of this fortress I just now say 'serving dwarven beer' for the first time. Probably because the tavern, initially, wasn't overlaid over the food stockpile belonging to the main dining room. I eventually made that tavern have a topside 'colony' on top of my ramparts - including a coffer, tables and chairs and a foodpile.

Mind you as I write this I realize that maybe I just hadn't noticed because the 'tavern keeper' isn't actually using the pile belonging to that topside bit.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45580 on: January 17, 2016, 09:56:07 am »

A dwarf went into a strange mood and requested cloth thread and leather, despite the fact that we had both. I even butchered a goat so we had billy goat leather. Too bad, the guy went insane and attacked my dwarves.

Depending on the mood, you get varying levels of vagueness in the description of what the dwarf wants.

There are three different kinds of cloth (plant fiber, silk, and yarn).  If you had plant fiber cloth (pig tail, rope reed, etc.) then he might have wanted one of the other two kinds.  You can usually get a bunch of cave spider silk by opening the first cavern.  Yarn is harder to acquire in an emergency.  Either you have a shearable animal, or you don't.
Well. Joy.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45581 on: January 17, 2016, 10:02:38 am »

Apparently the wildlife in my first cavern level is completely decimated. For whatever reasons that level got a constant string of FBs including three at a time once. I pretty much left it alone because of that, but just went in and claimed it for my dwarves. But after 2.5 seasons not a single wild animal has shown up in it. I guess the FBs killed everything off.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45582 on: January 17, 2016, 10:21:42 am »

Total savescum because undead hair.
One wheel short of a wagon

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45583 on: January 17, 2016, 10:53:28 am »

The bad news: I accidentally released the speardwarf I mentioned earlier from military duty. I would've put her back in, but I thought "why bother? I only use that squad to kill troglodytes and clean up sieges, her 3 mates cna take care of that" and made her the broker to train her mental stats and a mechanic instead. However, most of her time is now spent picking up equipment, though she trades at the depot and brings items to the depot just fine, and has managed to make 2 mechanisms so far. Is this some sort of bug, or is she having trouble adjusting to civilian life?

The good news: My glassmakers have spent years pumping out glass saxophones in the hopes that one day the dwarven caravan would buy them at higher than usual prices; that glorious day has come. I would've bought the whole caravan, but I don't need low quality instruments and instrument pieces kicking around the fort, nor do I need clay other than fire clay.

The really bad news: I can't get rid of the troglodytes in my cavern because they're clinging onto the walls in a spot even the marksdwarfs can't get to them.

The really good news: I'm banging out the masterwork steel weapons and armor that I need much faster than expected, and steel production is going pretty fast. It probably helps that I'm using only Legendary +5 armorsmiths and weaponsmiths, and that I'm melting all the exceptionals produced in smelters right next to the forge.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45584 on: January 17, 2016, 11:28:42 am »

Rocksinged is experiencing the 6th massive firestorm outside...
1st and 2nd ones were magma crabs. Then a titan, then again magma crab, another titan ... and now again a magma crab. Or were there even more?
It's like the outside is constantly on fire. Looks amazing somehow. I just wish it wouldn't constantly leaves those weird glitched holes in the ground from the collapsing trees.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.
Pages: 1 ... 3037 3038 [3039] 3040 3041 ... 3842