Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3035 3036 [3037] 3038 3039 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121644 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45540 on: January 15, 2016, 06:03:40 pm »

Just a quick question:

Is it possible to view elections and how they work?

I ask because someone was recently elected mayor.

Also: How many years does it take a dwarf to grow from baby to adult?

I ask because there are numerous children in my fortress.

Additionally: How do I find metal ores like copper or iron (or, to be precise, limonite and malachite and whatever the ores are) more easliy? I want to know the most efficient way to find those ores. I've embarked in an area with multiple shallow and deep metals (If I remember correctly, there was at least 1 deep metal and at least 1 shallow metal), of course.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #45541 on: January 15, 2016, 06:38:29 pm »

Just a quick question:

Additionally: How do I find metal ores like copper or iron (or, to be precise, limonite and malachite and whatever the ores are) more easliy? I want to know the most efficient way to find those ores. I've embarked in an area with multiple shallow and deep metals (If I remember correctly, there was at least 1 deep metal and at least 1 shallow metal), of course.

Elections: I don't think there's a way in vanilla. Maybe DwarfHack might have a thing. I wouldn't know.

Children: Kids become adults at 12 years of age.

Metals: You could look in the Dwarf Fortress wiki for information on what rocks and layers a certain type of metal is found in. There's a command in DwarfHack that reveals everything on the map (think it's "revealall"). But using DwarfHack requires installing DwarfHack. And I don't think it's compatible with the latest Dwarf Fortress version yet.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45542 on: January 15, 2016, 06:41:41 pm »

Just a quick question:

1) It isn't really an election, it's just a measure of who has the most social skills. It's fairly common for captured vampires to be elected mayor for several years in a row even if they've been bricked up in their room.

2) I believe they mature at 12 years, though I rarely see it happen myself.

3) You have to check what stone layers you have. Malachite is found in limestone and marble while Limonite occurs in any sedimentary layer. For other ores, consult this chart.

OMG ninjas!
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45543 on: January 15, 2016, 07:36:55 pm »

Has anyone had masons, mechanics and/or stonecrafters completely and utterly ignore burrow restrictions to go fetch stones from Armok knows where? It happened to me, and after a few died I decided to savescum and turn off their workshops. Then a farmer decided to go out hunting. He's lucky the goblins never saw him, because I would not have savescummed for him. The elven diplomat showed up immediately after the siege broke, which resulted him in getting shot with 2 silver arrows. Immediately after the elven diplomat arrived, a thresher had a strange mood which required wood, which I was fresh out of. The elf was no doubt displeased with me cutting down some trees in his presence, but hey, it's all in the quota.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45544 on: January 15, 2016, 08:23:44 pm »

My brewer finished his book scroll.

This is a pig parchment scroll. The rollers are made from schist. The rollers are made from exceptionally worked marble.
Written on the item is a manual entitled Breathing Explained, authored by `Brewer' Floornumbers. It concerns pulmonary medicine. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

I checked and he's written 3 scrolls so far. This one on Pulmonary medicine, one entitled "For the love of Combustion" on the classification of combustible materials, and one called "the Secret of Cultures" on the method of accurately and comprehensively describing cultures and civilizations.

He's got 18/500 xp in Chemist, so I guess he thinks he's qualified to write a book on combustion, and 15/500xp in Geographer, which is presumably his qualification for writing on cultures and civilization. Clearly the bar for being a Dwarven author is not very high.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45545 on: January 15, 2016, 08:45:26 pm »

Are you kidding? I could write a book on brain chemistry and how eating marbles balances your chi in the frontal lobe, and so long as I don't claim to actually be a doctor I'm fine.

These guys are strict compared to the good old US of A.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45546 on: January 15, 2016, 11:22:48 pm »

The humans were quite helpful this year, bringing a large load of wood. That thresher created a wooden cup with his strange mood.....my dwarves are certainly missing their cups. Ah, hell, I'm just going to order a crapton of ceramic mugs made. I'll figure out how to have my tavern only use golden steins later.

Uh, scratch that. Apparently you can't make ceramic mugs anymore.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 11:25:21 pm by cochramd »

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45547 on: January 15, 2016, 11:54:34 pm »

...Wait, what? That makes the least amount of sense.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #45548 on: January 16, 2016, 02:41:29 am »

My mayor and outpost liaison had a meeting. The liaison was in the mayor's (aboveground) office and the mayor was outside, speaking through the window.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45549 on: January 16, 2016, 10:48:47 am »

I bought more books from the dwarven caravan; I don't really know why. It's always the same 3 books: 2 on animal dissection and 1 on animal diseases, both written with sadness. It's depressing that my civilization hasn't produced anymore literature; I guess it's up to me to change that.

The floor of the casting chamber is nearly complete, and it will only need a few more walls until it is time to let the magma flow. From there, work must be focused on setting up the coolant injection system. However, one of the most important things to do before dumping cavern water onto magma is to clear out the cavern water of any desirable animals; I've spotted plenty of cave crocodiles (though no giant olms or giant toads; guess I'll just have to depend on the caravans for leather) down there, so I'm also setting up a trapline.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45550 on: January 16, 2016, 10:57:35 am »

News update: Two or three more dwarves have died, including another dwarven child. One of them was just found dead outside (wierd), another had been drained of all blood, and the child met the same fate as the drained of all blood guy. How the hell do I sniff the bloodthirsty fucker out?

Update: How do I get people to butcher skeletons/ I have two or three sitting outside my fort now. I've unforbidden them, I have a refuse stockpile in the butcher's shop... What do I do now?

UPDATE: I seem to have encountered bug 1735. I made a burrow, assigned almost everyone, and after deleting it, No-one does anything anymore.
Except 2 people who are beating the cyclops who triggered this panic to death with mugs and fists.

I'll be retiring my fort in favor of starting a new one, I guess.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 11:35:06 am by AzyWng »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45551 on: January 16, 2016, 11:44:22 am »

Not to be rude, but there IS a wiki for little questions like these.

Anyhow, the easiest way to catch a vampire is to make everyone sleep in one big dormitory. Vampires only attack while their victim is sleeping, so if everyone sleeps together it's only a matter of time until the vampire is caught. Skeletons of sapient creatures cannot be butchered; if we're talking animal skeletons, butcher shops only butcher carcasses or skeletons within 40 tiles so build a refuse stockpile near your butchers shop. Building a tanner's shop and craftsdwarf's shop nearby to keep said stockpile clear of bones and untanned hides is recommended.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45552 on: January 16, 2016, 12:47:06 pm »

Not to be rude, but there IS a wiki for little questions like these.

Anyhow, the easiest way to catch a vampire is to make everyone sleep in one big dormitory. Vampires only attack while their victim is sleeping, so if everyone sleeps together it's only a matter of time until the vampire is caught. Skeletons of sapient creatures cannot be butchered; if we're talking animal skeletons, butcher shops only butcher carcasses or skeletons within 40 tiles so build a refuse stockpile near your butchers shop. Building a tanner's shop and craftsdwarf's shop nearby to keep said stockpile clear of bones and untanned hides is recommended.

Thanks and sorry.

Anyway, I've started a new fort, and it's going well. There's a road nearby, so I might wind up having people pass by from time to time, but aside from that, it's all good. I have an underground farm and still up, and I've got workshops set up as well. Working on the dining room/tavern place where people talk, sing, loose teeth, and occasionally eat and drink currently, then I'll have my manager's office and bedrooms made... eventually. I still need to remember to actually get doors for the bedrooms, but whatever.

Maybe I'll have a dormitory set up instead so I can find vampires more easliy, actually.

Something to think about.

Once I'm done with that, I plan to have my hospital, burial areas, and metal industry set up. I actually struck limonite, so I should be able to get iron very easily, and with that I can set up a proper military.

In the meantime, though, I'm going to be putting my policy of "Gather all the plants!" into place soon, once I get my first wave of migrants.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45553 on: January 16, 2016, 12:51:03 pm »

You know how to build a safe greenhouse, right?

In Tradegray, it turns out that there's actually been 1 single cave crocodile in my caverns for years. The poor girl was trapped between 2 trees that had suddenly sprung up! Time to set up a few traps and dig her a tunnel straight to them...

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45554 on: January 16, 2016, 02:16:10 pm »

hunting behaviour is hilarious. Just now an expert marksdwarf hunter shot a naked moledog multiple times - it fled into a cage trap. Zon the mighty hunter tried again. Tortured another naked moledog who passed through an unloaded cage trap, Zon kept firing bolts at it- one missed.

Well, missed. It smacked another naked mole dog square in the brain, knocking it dead. This is Zon's only kill in Drumpapers. Zon's reaction to having killed this terror of the undergrowth was panic! And run away.

edit; a Troglodyte punched a war dog in the lower body bruising the kidney! It was a gelding blow!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 02:18:19 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 3035 3036 [3037] 3038 3039 ... 3842