Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3015 3016 [3017] 3018 3019 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969452 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45240 on: January 05, 2016, 04:00:11 pm »

Apo and eav are human words. I recognize the apo from an old adventurer's name.

And yes, all governments can be embroiled in disputes. I remember a necromancer tower that was conquered by the nearby goblins over livestock grazing rights. And another necromancer tower that took over a hamlet. Boy was that a surprise, opening a door to find a bunch of angry zombies.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45241 on: January 05, 2016, 04:12:31 pm »

If your magma and sand are a long ways apart, set up two glassmaking furnaces. [...]
I did that in another fortress.

With clay it worked quite nicely, but I did it a little differently, since clay doesn't need bags. I just build 4 kilns right next to the clay and gave each of them a full list of (repeated) "Gather Clay" jobs. Whenever I needed clay I just turned them on and let them run for a bit ((un)forbidding the workshop)...except for one time where I forgot to turn them off and ended up with 4000+ clay.

With sand on the other hand I never really bothered...since sand needs bags I always first give them the "Gather Sand x30" job and then the "Build glass stuff x30" job via the manager. That way I can be rather certain not all the bags are full of sand. I do occasionally give them some surplus sand jobs.

Aaand, just as I'm typing this post finally someone useful gets moody! One of my weaponsmiths wishes to produce an artifact! Let's see what awesome stuff she will make! Totally not going to be a tin mace or such.

EDIT:

*slowclap*

And yes, I tried forbidding all but platinum, in hopes for something useful - I ran out of steel.
She wanted tin.

Wouldn't take anything else.

Just tin.

I hate her.

I really, really hate her.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:29:34 pm by SyrusLD »
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #45242 on: January 05, 2016, 04:28:31 pm »

Made new fort on an island, using the same civ as I had before...

Hitting the first spring I end up with 30(!) of my old dwarves from the previous fort, still disgruntled that I ignored them for building a bridge to nowhere. On the plus side, one of them became a legendary mason in the two seasons I didn't see him.

That said, it does become a lot calmer to deal with the randomly genned stuff like the instruments and gods if you stick to one civ for a while, because you start recognising them.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #45243 on: January 05, 2016, 04:37:59 pm »

Spring has arrived! The dead walk! Hide while you still can!

Oh shit, it's only the second year and I even forgot to link the drawbridge to a lever! This could be the end of my latest fooooo--wait, where'd the dead go?

The undead came...and the undead left just as suddenly. No siege indicator in the corner. No undead killing all my livestock and dwarves who are outside. Weird, but I'm not complaining. Time to set up defenses.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45244 on: January 05, 2016, 05:32:25 pm »

FINALLY!!!!

After waiting a year with the pair of GCS left wild, and nothing happening, I decided to see if taming them would help.
And it did!!!!!!
Now all I need to do is let one revert to wild status for my silk farm

*what I think was happening is that when they were still wild, they were to busy targeting but not destroying (building destroyer 1) the stone doors in their pen to think about mating.

And yes my animal trainer is legendary by now. Everything he trains pops out masterful so it's gonna take a while for that GCS to revert to wild haha.

EDIT: Question: If I add the TRAINABLE tag to the GCS save raws, will the next batch born be trainable, or does that need a world regen? Or does that not work at all combined with PET_EXOTIC?
I know I know, war GCS are not exactly known to care about friendly fire. Ohwait nevermind. I can't get them to (tame) status needed for that anyways, since they have no baby stage.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:52:03 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45245 on: January 05, 2016, 05:41:18 pm »

Apo and eav are human words. I recognize the apo from an old adventurer's name.

And yes, all governments can be embroiled in disputes. I remember a necromancer tower that was conquered by the nearby goblins over livestock grazing rights. And another necromancer tower that took over a hamlet. Boy was that a surprise, opening a door to find a bunch of angry zombies.
Yeah, Apo means "Nourishment". "Eav" means nothing at all. Not a word on the wiki. Neither is Nourishment in the name of the group.

Not sure if I want to know what language it's in...
One wheel short of a wagon

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45246 on: January 05, 2016, 06:27:10 pm »

Picking world where goblins are 2/3 of all civilized population
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
seems to pay off:

Trading and building projects are severely impaired with all this cleaning...
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45247 on: January 05, 2016, 06:33:51 pm »

Whoops! I dug the pit 78x93 instead of 93x78! But it's alright, I've got room to make it 93x93. I just have to carefully designate the channeling to prevent cave-ins.....in unrelated news, it appears that the local biome does not have flax, jute, hemp, cotton, ramie, kenaf, rope reed or papyrus. Unless I can get some seeds from an elven or human caravan, I'll be entirely dependent on pigtails for both my textile and my paper industries. There's also the matter of my militia; they have all made noteworthy gains in the Organization, Student and Teacher skills. Apparently, those skills are important for scholars, so I've decided that some time before my libraries are built all my best prospects for soldiers will go through a stint in the military to train those skills. Oh, and speaking of scholars, remember that great potential scholar from my previous fort? The one with Great Organizer, Great Optics Engineer, Great Fluids Engineer, Accomplished Student, Legendary Wordsmith, Legendary Writer, Legendary Reader, Legendary Mechanic and Legendary Pump Operator (though those last two are because of my own actions)? He's here! Also, I have over 800 large green glass serrated discs so I've decided to take down and 8x10 block of stonefall traps in preparation for replacing them with weapon traps. Let's hope I can make 80 more masterwork mechanisms and build those weapon traps before the gobbos show up again!

I have a single block of stone-fall traps that's 120x8. Experience tells me that's enough to break most sieges; the point of replacing them with weapon traps is to break the sieges faster.
Never actually used stone-fall traps myself, at least not intentionally. Always stuck with cage traps. I guess that's also why I felt like I need so many "layers" of traps. But hm, would love to have another 300+ siege again and see how the traps do against that many enemies.
Cage traps are simultaneously a headache and easymode. Sure, you need to build cages for them to be loaded in the first place, and in order to reload them you need to either make even more cages or empty out the occupied ones, but in the end neither the material nor the quality of the trap's components matter because you're always guaranteed to capture anything that steps on trap. That's why I only use cage traps in the caverns, where there are animals I want to capture alive.

Strange. The only reason I've missed a caravan is because of a siege. Are you sure your civilization is still kicking?
Not sure how to really check, I retired the fortress (in a copied save) and checked, but couldn't find anything really saying "the civ is dead!!!", no big attacks, nothing. Just the few sieges on my fortress. Only thing I think happened was that one of the caravan wagons got scuttled, which would explain the pile of stuff outside, which my dwarves won't put in the stockpiles. Overall the civ is a bit weird though, I mean, it is called "The Roughness of Murdering" - which doesn't really sound dwarfish. But its nobles (etc.) seem to just be dwarves. Didn't check on them specifically though. Going by legends the civ isn't very wide spread, but doesn't look dead either. The map overview was from 8 years ago though.
At one point back at the start of the fortress, it once said "No Outpost Liaison? How curious..." but the next time there was one again. The fortress also didn't attract migrants one year, even though it was doing quite well.
Just strange. Maybe it has to do with the location it resides in, being on a vulcano and all. I mean, there aren't any humans near either.
Perhaps they're just having trouble accessing your site because of something between you and the mountainhomes? Like, I dunno, goblins?

Another thing is that my dwarves lack the knowledge to produce High Boots ... but that seems to sadly be quite a regular thing, especially in the "short history" worlds I play (year 78 now).
Wait, so 'high boots' doesn't show up as an option in your leatherworker shops and forges?

I've got 9600 to make if I'm going to replace the entire trapline. Thankfully, I embarked on a volcano so the sand won't be far from the magma glass furnaces.
Well, I thought it wasn't that far to the sand either. Buuut...it's pretty much on the other side of the vulcano, since it is in a different biome. My 3x3 embark has 3 biomes, one to the north-west, one to the north-east and the slightly bigger part is to the south. Only the one in the north-west has sand, at first I thought there was no sand at all, but I got lucky. Even got an aquifer there. Anyway, the dwarves have to run across about one embark tile to get to the sand...for over 1000 green glass items (I build more than just the trap components) it took forever; I wouldn't even want to imagine building almost 10'000 of them. Then again, I highly doubt I'd ever need that many.

At first I considered making the invader entrance 5 wide, but upon seeing how many trap components that would need, I decided it would just take waaaay too long.[/quote]
My magma glass furnaces are 20 steps from my sand collecting areas, and my magma kilns are 15 steps from my fire clay collecting area. Shit's real cash, bro.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45248 on: January 05, 2016, 07:15:11 pm »

The verdict is in and magma crab turrets are very !!fun!! and not for me, for the gobbos. I think that for the first time my siege looked like I would imagine a proper siege looking at the gates of a great fort. There were fires coming up from everywhere. Sometimes the smoke of it all was so heavy that it cut off the paths into the fort and made massive fps lag, but it was only momentary.

Edit: Sheesh, the front of my fort looks like a godaweful mess. I could really use some rain here, but if it hasn't come in 10+ years I think we're all going to be stuck starring across acres of vomit and blood till I retire.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:48:08 pm by Bakaridjan »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45249 on: January 05, 2016, 07:35:33 pm »

My dwarves just invented rap with beatboxing

EDIT: just noted this myself: the performance was actually taking place in my temple, not in the tavern. Which makes sense, since the description says it's dedicated to a god.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:55:09 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45250 on: January 05, 2016, 08:31:10 pm »

Whoops! I dug the pit 78x93 instead of 93x78! But it's alright, I've got room to make it 93x93. I just have to carefully designate the channeling to prevent cave-ins.....in unrelated news, it appears that the local biome does not have flax, jute, hemp, cotton, ramie, kenaf, rope reed or papyrus. Unless I can get some seeds from an elven or human caravan, I'll be entirely dependent on pigtails for both my textile and my paper industries. There's also the matter of my militia; they have all made noteworthy gains in the Organization, Student and Teacher skills. Apparently, those skills are important for scholars, so I've decided that some time before my libraries are built all my best prospects for soldiers will go through a stint in the military to train those skills. Oh, and speaking of scholars, remember that great potential scholar from my previous fort? The one with Great Organizer, Great Optics Engineer, Great Fluids Engineer, Accomplished Student, Legendary Wordsmith, Legendary Writer, Legendary Reader, Legendary Mechanic and Legendary Pump Operator (though those last two are because of my own actions)? He's here! Also, I have over 800 large green glass serrated discs so I've decided to take down and 8x10 block of stonefall traps in preparation for replacing them with weapon traps. Let's hope I can make 80 more masterwork mechanisms and build those weapon traps before the gobbos show up again!

I would like to see your fortress... it seems like something of epic proportions.
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45251 on: January 05, 2016, 08:41:39 pm »

I would like to see your fortress... it seems like something of epic proportions.
My AMBITIONS are of epic proportions. Until I bring those ambitions to life, all I have to brag about is a big hole in the ground.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45252 on: January 05, 2016, 09:14:16 pm »

If your magma and sand are a long ways apart, set up two glassmaking furnaces. A regular one by the sand and a magma one by the magma.
Whhhyyy...

Then set the shop profiles so only dabblers can use the one by the sand, and only skilled glassmakers can use the one by the magma.

Why would you want anyone to use the non-magma one and use up all your fuel?

Have a stockpile by the sand furnace that only accepts boxes and bags made of leather, silk, plant cloth or yarn. Set up a stockpile near the magma furnace that accepts sandbags. [...]

Oh.  You're just confused!

You can set up as many non-magma glass furnaces as you want, if their only goal is to queue up parallel Collect Sand jobs.  Their location is completely irrelevant.  They don't have to be anywhere near the sand, the bags, or anything.  Dwarves never even have to go to them.

When a dwarf does a Collect Sand job, he just takes a bag, goes to the sand collection zone, and puts the sand into the bag.  That's it.

I've got 4 non-magma glass furnaces that I use strictly for issuing Collect Sand jobs, because 4 dwarves gathering sand at a time is enough for my purposes.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45253 on: January 05, 2016, 09:20:15 pm »

Wait, so 'high boots' doesn't show up as an option in your leatherworker shops and forges?

That happens, albeit rarely.  Some dwarven civs just don't ever develop high boot technology.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45254 on: January 05, 2016, 09:20:32 pm »

Unfortunately, the elves did not bring any above-ground seeds. Hopefully, the human caravan will arrive and bring me above-ground seeds of plants that will support the textile and paper industries.

Pages: 1 ... 3015 3016 [3017] 3018 3019 ... 3839