Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3013 3014 [3015] 3016 3017 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972619 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45210 on: January 04, 2016, 04:16:50 pm »

The goblins came before I even laid down any traps! There was only 15 of them, so I whipped up a militia and sicced them on the invaders. We lost 3, but killed them all; 5:1 isn't a bad kill ratio.

I have sand, fire clay, various ores and easy magma access but have been holding off on producing anything valuable so as to avoid luring goblins to me. Now that they've already been here and it'll be a while before they return, I think I'll start making stoneware crafts.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:01:19 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45211 on: January 04, 2016, 04:37:47 pm »

My 2nd and 3rd migration waves brought almost a dozen skilled and competent marksdwarves.  A squad was set up, and they patrolled the ramparts for several seasons, sending iron bolts into any goblin scholars who were audacious enough to consider themselves welcome in Gleamedtin.

An undead horde approached.  The marksdwarves took a few shots, and then thought it was a good idea to leap over the fortifications to get closer to their targets.  Needless to say, I don't have any more marksdwarves.  I now wondering how long the zombies will hang around...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45212 on: January 04, 2016, 07:11:46 pm »

I think one thing that really shows how much the world is alive now, is all the family relations on immigrants and guests. My goblin bards and mercenaries mostly are related somehow. Lots of aunts and uncles. A human merc now watches her mother recite poetry in my tavern, and my latest immigrant wave carried the mother as well as an older sister of one of my dwarves, the sister also bringing along her child, which obviously is a niece to my dwarf.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45213 on: January 04, 2016, 07:30:36 pm »

Having made all the mechanisms I need (for now), I have ordered the construction of 960 stonefall traps to defend my fortress. My next priority will be to ensure that there are more than enough stones lying around the fortress to keep those traps loaded (mining out the obsidian casting chamber should do the trick). The priority after that is to start making the trap weapons I need for the weapon traps I intend to replace those stonefall traps with someday. I don't have a lot of cassiterite, and I can't afford to spend iron on anything other than turning it into steel, which I can't do for a while yet due to the lack of coal. That leaves  a very important question: which is a better material for large serrated disks: copper, silver or glass?

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45214 on: January 04, 2016, 07:38:42 pm »

Out of those three, it's very definitely glass. Glass has a great slicing number rivaled only by steel, IIRC. But it's at least as good as iron.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45215 on: January 04, 2016, 08:14:06 pm »

It seems that sometimes dwarves start carrying items they like in hand rather than "hauling" it (whatever the difference), and this enables the dwarf to start using it as a weapon. Maybe this is similar to earlier "goblets as a weapon" bug? Rigòth likes cobaltite so she's carrying a cobaltite pot, as well as a cobaltite mini-forge.

I opened 9443: Dwarfs acquire and equip multiple empty goblets.  I think you're seeing the same thing with pots.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45216 on: January 04, 2016, 08:32:35 pm »

The goblins came again before I had all the stonefall traps set up, but I had more than enough to break the siege.

Out of those three, it's very definitely glass. Glass has a great slicing number rivaled only by steel, IIRC. But it's at least as good as iron.

Well then, I suppose I'll need to set up a textile industry. Can't have a good glass industry without a shitton of bags!

Aaaaaaaaaand the weaponsmith just got possessed. He needs metal, cloth, blocks, wood, leather and cut gems. Let's see where this goes...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:34:25 pm by cochramd »

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45217 on: January 04, 2016, 08:35:42 pm »

That leaves  a very important question: which is a better material for large serrated disks: copper, silver or glass?
Sadly Rocksinged only had a single goblin run into my new traps so far. They are all made of green glass, in 2x 15 layers, the first layer being "Axe Blades, Discs, Corkscrews, Discs, Spikes, Discs ..." the second being the same except with Spiked Balls instead of Discs. It's a 3 tile wide corridor, all weapon traps are full with 10 glass weapons.

The result was that the goblin only made it onto the first axe blade trap. Even though the giant green glass axe blades glanced away from his iron breastplate (and helm, I think), hits to limbs and especially the lower body were enough to kill him. Since all invaders tend to have some non-armored spots on their bodies, even if some attacks glance away on the armored body parts, they should still inflict enough damage to severly cripple any invader, if not straight out kill him (at least by quickly making him bleed to death).
In case they were to make it through the first layer of 15 traps, I can still flood the second layer of traps with magma - but I would rather have them run through those as well as there is a third layer consisting of 15 rows of cage traps. Pretty much something for everyone. I highly doubt anyone will ever make it that far though.

Still awaiting the next big siege with great interest, sadly in Rocksinged sieges seem to be almost as rare as the dwarven caravan and the outpost liaison - which have not come for years now for no apparent reason.

I would say, unless you expect heavily armored invaders - unlikely in unmodded DF, I think - you should be quite protected with green glass traps, as long as you don't win the lottery of bad luck, but I guess in that case you should accept your fate with pride...or have a military to kill the extremly lucky survivor.

Took me forever for all 900 weapons to be produce though, mostly since the sand is not very close to the magma glass furnaces.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:38:49 pm by SyrusLD »
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45218 on: January 04, 2016, 09:08:11 pm »

Since all invaders tend to have some non-armored spots on their bodies, even if some attacks glance away on the armored body parts, they should still inflict enough damage to severly cripple any invader, if not straight out kill him (at least by quickly making him bleed to death).

It's actually better if they bleed out instead of being directly killed by the trap.  That way they won't clog up the trap.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45219 on: January 04, 2016, 09:24:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I imagine that dwarves are like old geezers that tell rambling, boring stories with no real point to them.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45220 on: January 04, 2016, 09:47:25 pm »

Meh, the possession produced only a copper spear. LLLLAAAAAAAAME. I've decided to start producing stoneware instrument parts as well as crafts; if I'm going to have every instrument in my tavern be masterfully constructed from only masterwork parts, I need to start working on the parts now! Oh, and did I mention that this fort keeps having a lot of babies?

In more interesting news, Toady seems to have implimented civilization animal training knowledge. In Wirechambers, my previous fort, I had achieved expert training level with cave crocodiles, crundles, giant toads and giant olms as well as some level of training of bugbats. While this fort, Tradegrey, started with most animals at their normal training levels, bugbats and crundles started at "a few facts". Hurrah!

That leaves  a very important question: which is a better material for large serrated disks: copper, silver or glass?
Sadly Rocksinged only had a single goblin run into my new traps so far. They are all made of green glass, in 2x 15 layers, the first layer being "Axe Blades, Discs, Corkscrews, Discs, Spikes, Discs ..." the second being the same except with Spiked Balls instead of Discs. It's a 3 tile wide corridor, all weapon traps are full with 10 glass weapons.

The result was that the goblin only made it onto the first axe blade trap. Even though the giant green glass axe blades glanced away from his iron breastplate (and helm, I think), hits to limbs and especially the lower body were enough to kill him. Since all invaders tend to have some non-armored spots on their bodies, even if some attacks glance away on the armored body parts, they should still inflict enough damage to severly cripple any invader, if not straight out kill him (at least by quickly making him bleed to death).
In case they were to make it through the first layer of 15 traps, I can still flood the second layer of traps with magma - but I would rather have them run through those as well as there is a third layer consisting of 15 rows of cage traps. Pretty much something for everyone. I highly doubt anyone will ever make it that far though.
I have a single block of stone-fall traps that's 120x8. Experience tells me that's enough to break most sieges; the point of replacing them with weapon traps is to break the sieges faster.

Still awaiting the next big siege with great interest, sadly in Rocksinged sieges seem to be almost as rare as the dwarven caravan and the outpost liaison - which have not come for years now for no apparent reason.
Strange. The only reason I've missed a caravan is because of a siege. Are you sure your civilization is still kicking?

I would say, unless you expect heavily armored invaders - unlikely in unmodded DF, I think - you should be quite protected with green glass traps, as long as you don't win the lottery of bad luck, but I guess in that case you should accept your fate with pride...or have a military to kill the extremely lucky survivor.
I had plenty of weapon traps that were all large serrated discs back at Wiredchambers, and IIRC not a single goblin made it through one alive regardless of what the discs were made of. I mean, there were a few that made it through without suffering an insta-kill, but they were missing several body parts and often had a major artery in the heart torn open so they were as good as dead. Large serrated discs (and perhaps spiked balls too) seem to embody the concept of "quantity has a quality all its own".

Took me forever for all 900 weapons to be produced though, mostly since the sand is not very close to the magma glass furnaces.
I've got 9600 to make if I'm going to replace the entire trapline. Thankfully, I embarked on a volcano so the sand won't be far from the magma glass furnaces.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45221 on: January 04, 2016, 11:14:04 pm »

Got the temples set up, established tavern #3, and now I'd like some statues of gods with which to decorate the temples.

Instead I'm getting lots and lots of statues of the foundation of the fortress, and numerous statues of our late expedition leader stepping down from her original position.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45222 on: January 05, 2016, 03:27:12 am »

The endgame versus the remaining clowns that got stuck at the top of the candy spire played out very well. 30 of them were killed in the cave-in. 1 escaped into the 3rd cavern and killed some blind cave ogres before my military tracked it down. The remaining 6 Bee Brutes, who were the most frightening of the lot, hesitated in their hole for awhile but finally came out. They got distracted by an artifact obisidian table and were peppered with bolts until the melee squads arrived. Due to a lazy lever puller it ended up being 3 legendary dwarves and mercs against 4 Brutes, but even that went off well enough with no injuries. The rest of melee fighters were a little peeved about not getting in on the action. Clowns are now something of a rarity in Diamondwad.

P.S. and now my miners follow up with a little coup de grâce. Three blind cave ogres are no match for tavern-hardened, legendary miners with steel picks.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:27:07 am by Bakaridjan »

SomeoneSneaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45223 on: January 05, 2016, 07:03:55 am »

The elves brought me a very interesting instrument: http://i.imgur.com/4uK4s4X.png (linked to avoid spoilers)

I was surprised it was only worth 3060 -- just a handful of roasts, and it was mine.

I'd seen it happen with other players, so I started checking every instrument that seemed unusually expensive. Glad I did!
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45224 on: January 05, 2016, 07:15:55 am »

...that instrument name is going pretty much full Zalgo mode there.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3013 3014 [3015] 3016 3017 ... 3839