Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3011 3012 [3013] 3014 3015 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120350 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45180 on: January 03, 2016, 06:26:31 pm »

Like clockwork, the goblins again came on the second day of fall. They started fairly close to the trapline, so hopefully this will all be over quickly.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45181 on: January 03, 2016, 06:28:09 pm »

I just finished butchering 90 cave crocodile hatchlings, restoring 10 points of FPS. It had dropped from 60 (my capped max) to 48 when two litters totalling 96 cave crocs hatched.

I just gifted 164k dwarfbucks worth of cave croc totems, cave croc various intestines (all except the meat, I keep that for cooking), and cave croc roasts to the dwarven caravan, lol. I suspect to regain my remaining 2 FPS once they leave the map with all those intestines (over 40 barrels full of them)

cave croc breeding OP

Sadly, no leather. So I can't outfit my dwarves like proper crocodile dundees.

Also: Whee! I now have a full citizenship human slave. (the one I mentioned earlier with the naughty goblin name)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:34:27 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45182 on: January 03, 2016, 07:01:56 pm »

You mean you didn't train them all and wait until adulthood to slaughter them? I guess we're just two very different people...

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45183 on: January 03, 2016, 07:17:06 pm »

nah.. I trained the enormous, muscular and fat ones to (tame). Will let those breed again.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #45184 on: January 03, 2016, 07:21:12 pm »

A legendary human visits and joins in a dance, then this happens.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45185 on: January 03, 2016, 07:29:21 pm »

nah.. I trained the enormous, muscular and fat ones to (tame). Will let those breed again.
I do that too (though genetics don't seem to work for livestock yet), but I wait until my fortress has achieved "expert" training knowledge with the species. I breed the wild adults, kill the tamed babies and repeat until I achieve expert, at which point I let the wild adults breed one last time before killing them. Then the tamed babies become my mainstay population which I perform eugenics on.

The siege was only about 50 goblins and beak dogs, so it was broken quickly (and just in time for a mason's strange mood!) The post-siege cleanup will slow pumping efforts, but this time for sure I'm going to finish casting that obsidian.

EDIT: It's a miracle! I broke the siege so fast that the caravan still came!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:31:47 pm by cochramd »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45186 on: January 03, 2016, 07:38:03 pm »

I do that too (though genetics don't seem to work for livestock yet), but I wait until my fortress has achieved "expert" training knowledge with the species. I breed the wild adults, kill the tamed babies and repeat until I achieve expert, at which point I let the wild adults breed one last time before killing them. Then the tamed babies become my mainstay population which I perform eugenics on.
I'm slightly sad that my giant cave toads and voracious cave crawlers give birth to adult offspring, so I will never be able to fully tame those. The upside would be that my animal trainer is getting close to legendary.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:39:41 pm by martinuzz »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45187 on: January 03, 2016, 07:40:50 pm »

Do the VCCs have tons of twins and triplets too?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45188 on: January 03, 2016, 07:54:21 pm »

Yes, they spam them twins and triplets. The VCC are awesome, for their crafting usable teeth.

OOOOOOOOH!!!!!!! I captured a male GCS. I already have a female!!!

If I tame the female, and leave the male wild (for my silk farm), will they still be able to reproduce, if they're straight?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:56:05 pm by martinuzz »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45189 on: January 03, 2016, 08:03:34 pm »

I don't think so. But now I have a theory that Toady made cavern creatures hyper-fertile for reasons known only to him.

Sadly, my civilization has not churned out any new books; no matter, when I finally build that library I'm going to churning out high-quality engineering papers like they're going out of style.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45190 on: January 03, 2016, 08:07:01 pm »

I don't think so. But now I have a theory that Toady made cavern creatures hyper-fertile for reasons known only to him.

Sadly, my civilization has not churned out any new books; no matter, when I finally build that library I'm going to churning out high-quality engineering papers like they're going out of style.

I guess I need to let them breed wild then and cage trap the young for taming. Or try my luck making a tame GCS silk farm.

EDIT: also. HAHAHAHA

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:12:46 pm by martinuzz »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45191 on: January 03, 2016, 08:20:03 pm »

Wait....is that an artifact book? Like, not just a book bound with artifact skill, but was it written as part of the strange mood too?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #45192 on: January 03, 2016, 08:29:12 pm »

Embarking at the base of a Terrifying mountain. The Rocks of Stabbing are founding Shattervault to revive their dead civilization. I figure they're only here because they probably won't get invaded.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45193 on: January 03, 2016, 08:30:32 pm »

Wait....is that an artifact book? Like, not just a book bound with artifact skill, but was it written as part of the strange mood too?
Nope, it is a granite earring. I just copy pasted part of the description, which is a picture commemorating the reproduction of the book called True Reproduction by a scribe.
Also, my female GCS is now chilling on a tile next to a caged male GCS. The waiting has begun.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45194 on: January 03, 2016, 09:21:56 pm »

Drat. Despite being diagnosed over a 1000 times during a dwarfyear, and being washed every month, my last crundle victim, although he's out of hospital and working happily, is showing an infection in his finger. I fear the worst, since he's very slow to heal.
He's my legendary armorsmith. Good thing I have a spare one of those (2 platinum breastplates if you remember).

That's what you get with a novice medical team (points at the link in my sig)

EDIT: drat again, the other finger victims have an infection too.

Perhaps I should arrange for a nonlethal but slightly injuring accident for them, so they're forced back into hospital. I need another finger biting crundle

Find the victims in adventurer mode. Perform amputations. Run away.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 3011 3012 [3013] 3014 3015 ... 3842