Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3003 3004 [3005] 3006 3007 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6084584 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45060 on: January 01, 2016, 11:02:01 am »

This took me one in-game day.

Don't they get the hint yet?
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45061 on: January 01, 2016, 11:13:25 am »

Hmmmm... I just penned a cave crocodile. First thing it does is TOPPLE A STATUE of dwarves that I decorated the pen with. It didn't damage the statue, it just toppled it. Game even threw me an alert message saying ''silstone statue toppled by stray cave crocodile (+trained+)"

I'm pondering releasing it into my temple, see if I can get a vampire cave crocodile.

EDIT: also, I just found out that giant cave toads give birth to.. adult giant cave toads. Twins in this case. Side effect is sadly, that you can't get the newly borns from trained to tame status. Ah well, their pen has cage traps at the exit anyways.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:12:48 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45062 on: January 01, 2016, 12:20:29 pm »

That toppled statue warning can be pretty useful. It tipped me off to a werecritter at my door when my guard dogs had mysteriously gone missing. He could have walked straight into my grand hall otherwise. Even in stealth mode they will topple them and you'll get the warning so put some statues outside and pay attention when one falls over.

And here's to hoping you get a vampire cave crocodile. I wouldn't get you hopes up, but it would be pretty awesome. You know there are other sentients who topple statues though. How about a troll vampire or Colossus vampire or a Colossus were-tortoise-vampire-troll? Hmmmm, science must be done.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45063 on: January 01, 2016, 12:33:05 pm »

The thing is that cave crocodiles aren't sentient.

Also, lol. Another dwarf went fey and made a second platinum breastplate. The first one is called 'The Urn of Rinsing'. I guess if the wearer gets roasted by a dragon, it would make a nice urn indeed. The second one is called "Weakticks".

Gonna put them on my military regardless, just for the blingbling. They have steel ring mail under it so it should be fine.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:35:51 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #45064 on: January 01, 2016, 12:42:39 pm »

"Hey Geshud, new kid.  Come with me and help clean up the Whippit."

"Uh, of course Mr. Lasganstukos.  But, pray tell, what is a Whip-- oh, by Adil and all that is holy!"

"...The hell are you starin' at?  Come on, start doin' your job, we ain't got all day."

"I'm... I'm not sure I can... I think I'm going to be..."

"Geshud!"

"Doesn't that bother you?"

He opened his backpack and showed its contents to her.  It was empty.  "This is the bag of all the fucks I don't give."

"Now put up, shut up, and go toss these body parts into the stockpile.  Either you put up and shut up, or you'll join that sorry pile of bodies.  We got 120 bodies to pull outta the gears and the boss wants this thing spic 'n span before the next siege."

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #45065 on: January 01, 2016, 12:45:17 pm »

How about a troll vampire or Colossus vampire or a Colossus were-tortoise-vampire-troll? Hmmmm, science must be done.
You cannot be both a werebeast and a vampire, I'm pretty sure.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #45066 on: January 01, 2016, 01:10:35 pm »

Troll vampire might be possible...

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45067 on: January 01, 2016, 02:36:48 pm »

I just designated 175 weapon traps. Because I made sure that every single one of them was made with a masterwork mechanism, it took over 2 hours but it was worth it. Every weapon in those traps is a proper trap weapon, most of which made at this very fort (so either masterwork or exceptional thanks to my legendary weaponsmiths and glassmakers) plus some stuff I bought from the caravans. Once these traps are complete, there will be exactly 300 weapon traps, all made with masterwork mechanisms, all filled to the brim with trap weapons, almost all masterwork or exceptional, standing between Wiredchambers and any goblins that want in. At that point, my countless stonefall traps will be serving merely as a safety buffer against particularly dodgy goblins and exceptionally large sieges. You know, I haven't seen the goblins in a while. Maybe it's finally dawned on them that the fort that sinks the majority of its wealth into its trapline isn't the fort you want to siege.

Aaaaaaaand a miner just got possessed and claimed a mason's shop. Great. I'm going to go take a shower and make a run to The Beer Store. Edit: It was a bed, my second artifact stone bed in fact! Sadly, it is slightly less valuable than the first.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 03:25:18 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45068 on: January 01, 2016, 03:48:04 pm »

Operation Stop The Itch is complete. Now what to do with 30 caged magma crabs...?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #45069 on: January 01, 2016, 04:12:15 pm »

Operation Stop The Itch is complete. Now what to do with 30 caged magma crabs...?
Tame them and eat them? Tame them and build a bunker full of them to spit magma blobs at baddies? Tame them, breed them, and eat the babies?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45070 on: January 01, 2016, 04:39:19 pm »

Tame them and eat them? Tame them and build a bunker full of them to spit magma blobs at baddies? Tame them, breed them, and eat the babies?

Unfortunately they're not tameable or butcherable, but I do think some magma crab turrets are in order, and fortunately I've got enough for some trial and error.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45071 on: January 01, 2016, 04:44:41 pm »

Unfortunately they're not tameable or butcherable, but I do think some magma crab turrets are in order, and fortunately I've got enough for some trial and error.

Mod them to be tameable and butherable, then see what happens.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45072 on: January 01, 2016, 04:50:20 pm »

Sadly, they cannot be tamed by RAW.

I have enabled mechanics on all my doctors, traders and my one architect so that the traps will be completed sooner. They keeping suspended because, supposedly, the builders can't reach the site, which is clearly bullshit when I go to look at the trap. This problem has plagued me since day one of trapline construction, and I don't understand why it happens.

I've been looking over my dwarfs with an eye for future scholars, and was blown away by one Zaneg Irolon: Accomplished Siege Engineer, High Master Mechanic, Accomplished Pump Operator, Great Organizer (apparently that has something to do with scholaring), Great Optics Engineer, Great Fluids Engineer, Accomplished Student, Legendary Reader, Legendary Writer, Legendary Wordsmith, has a great memory, a natural inclination towards language, and a good intellect and values knowledge. This guy is going to be the greatest scholar ever! Once the traps are done, I'll be sure to play around with my workshop settings so he gets the chance to grind his way up to being a legendary mechanic (I've had my mechanic shops set to "legendary only" for many years now). In fact, I think I'll go out of my way to make sure all my mechanics level up to legendary so that they are all spectacular scholars when I finally get that library.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45073 on: January 01, 2016, 05:00:10 pm »

Yay a GCS stumbled into my traps. Sadly her mate got one-bite-killed by a war dog. Hope I can capture her a new mate. Would be nice to add it to the cave creature breeding progam. So far I have breeding pairs of cave crocodiles, voracious cave crawlers, giant cave toads and giant olms.

I always mod GCS to live 120-130 years instead of vanilla 20-30. Nothing more frustrating to set up a nice trap-webbing corridor or silk farm, only to find your GCS to have died of old age. That also tends to be the single only modding I do to the game haha. I like vanilla the way it is.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45074 on: January 01, 2016, 05:41:59 pm »

Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 3003 3004 [3005] 3006 3007 ... 3842