Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3001 3002 [3003] 3004 3005 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6087960 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45030 on: December 30, 2015, 11:37:45 pm »

Granted citizenship to a resident human today.  He had no interesting skills, and can't enter a mood, so it's time to make him a legendary organizer and then off to make him a scholar.

You can appoint non-dwarven citizens to noble positions, if anyone's wondering.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #45031 on: December 30, 2015, 11:47:58 pm »

Granted citizenship to a resident human today.  He had no interesting skills, and can't enter a mood, so it's time to make him a legendary organizer and then off to make him a scholar.

You can appoint non-dwarven citizens to noble positions, if anyone's wondering.
Makes sense, I recall seeing an animal-person mayor of a world-generated fortress while I was adventuring in 42.01. Don't remember what specific animal, just that it was an animal-person mayor and he was horrified at watching the human baron strangle a goblin resident to death in front of him. The typical duties of mayoring, I suppose.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45032 on: December 31, 2015, 02:04:54 am »

I'm making my first attempt at breaching an aquafer.

It's... not going so well. Hasn't failed yet, though.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45033 on: December 31, 2015, 02:09:03 am »

And you guys know what else disappeared?
Two days worth of early fort construction.

I am supremely peeved.

As to why I didn't save more often, I was so excited to play that I kept my PC on all night  for those two days so I could get on right away in order to build.  I didn't want to quit the game because I wanted to get to the taverns and temples as quickly as possible.  That definitely won't be happening anymore.  :'(

You can set it to autosave seasonally. It's annoying at the season-change, since it suddenly pauses for a while as it does the save, but that minor annoyance is more than made up for when there's a crash after a long session.
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45034 on: December 31, 2015, 04:22:56 am »

My new favorite book title: "The Unabridged Nothing"

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45035 on: December 31, 2015, 06:54:19 am »

That's odd. I can set any labor for my new human citizen performer, but can't assign an occupation.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45036 on: December 31, 2015, 07:28:53 am »

That's odd. I can set any labor for my new human citizen performer, but can't assign an occupation.
TO THE BUGTRA- Oh yeah, it's offline

o ^o
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45037 on: December 31, 2015, 07:41:04 am »

Tarem the Doomed Ocean, a towering toad with deadly dust has appeared in the second cavern. When it wandered around spewing clouds of dust, it shook loose a troglodyte family who had been hanging from a cliffside for several years, seemingly stuck. Upon hitting the cavern floor the females of the group immediately gave birth to several trog babies.

I can't even begin to imagine how tough it must have been to hold them in for all those years.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45038 on: December 31, 2015, 10:06:08 am »

Two of my civilians that never had any military training stumbled into a cave crocodile.
They ripped it apart with their bare hands. They did suffer a few injuries, like a broken toe nail and some scratched fat tissue.

Civilians are OP. Or cave crocs aren't as badass as people make them out to be.

I other news, my zoo couldn't start any better. I caught a Giant Cave Toad, and the elves sold me.... A FLUFFY WAMBLER.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:20:03 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45039 on: December 31, 2015, 11:08:54 am »

Alcohol makes dwarves fearless.  I see them dogpile on cave crocs, giant olms and the like without taking much more than superficial injuries.

I had one fight a giant cave spider, break some of its legs and then run.  Would've been suicidal in any other version.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45040 on: December 31, 2015, 11:21:03 am »

I see plants growing on the top of my wet obsidian; I think the next time I try to do this (and you know I will) I'l dig a much MUCH deeper pit, cast 5 more layers and have a tree farm on top of uppermost layer. In Wiredchambers, however, I think I'll just use the top of the uppermost layer for farms and pastures.

The humans have come again with their one book. It's not even a good book:

The mountainhomes have been providing me with better literature: they're better written, on academic subjects and a new one comes out every few years!

Of course, when I finally get that library set up, my engineers and medical dwarfs are going to blow this stuff out of the water with what they write...

Two of my civilians that never had any military training stumbled into a cave crocodile.
They ripped it apart with their bare hands. They did suffer a few injuries, like a broken toe nail and some scratched fat tissue.

Civilians are OP. Or cave crocs aren't as badass as people make them out to be.

I other news, my zoo couldn't start any better. I caught a Giant Cave Toad, and the elves sold me.... A FLUFFY WAMBLER.

Alcohol makes dwarves fearless.  I see them dogpile on cave crocs, giant olms and the like without taking much more than superficial injuries.

I had one fight a giant cave spider, break some of its legs and then run.  Would've been suicidal in any other version.
And yet, if 20 civilian dwarves see a single goblin with a weapon they all run away like ninnies and don't even try to fight back when it stabs them. Assign those same civilians to military squads and order them to kill that same goblin and they dogpile him, systematically break each of his joints and gouge his eyes out before beating him to death. Dwarfs are weird.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 11:34:45 am by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45041 on: December 31, 2015, 02:16:51 pm »

Started on site that had 1/25th of sinister biome in it.
Zombiefied camels killed four of my dwarfs leaving only two miners and farmer working underground.
After a month zombie falcons attacked one of my miners but he managed to killed them off.
Migrants came - 5 kids and 4 useless retards.
Aaaaaand thats when my miner, who got infected by the falcons, died, reanimated and slaughter entire fort singlehandedly.

FUN times.
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45042 on: December 31, 2015, 04:33:10 pm »

Is it just me, or are Giant Olms and Giant Toads having way more twins and triplets than they were before? Because I'm suffering from explosions of them...anyways, the casting is going so slowly that I came very close to building a pumpstack to bring water up from the caverns. However, when I was digging the staircase I came across a bevy of ores and gems and said to myself "screw it, it will be more fun to chase after these while I wait than it would be to set up a pumpstack". Other things that have been going on: a giant showed up, broke both his legs in 2 stonefall traps, and then everyone ran over and punched him in the head until it exploded (the forst's sole carpenter got the kill). One of my weaponsmiths had a strange mood; unfortunately, her favorite metal is lead, but it turned out alright because it was a warhammer anyways.

Oh, and I tried to get my GCS silk farm going, but there's a big problem: for some reason, the GCS is not trying to web the bait (a wild troll). Does anyone know how to remedy this?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45043 on: December 31, 2015, 06:17:04 pm »

My fortress was attacked by a werelizard.  Some civilians dogpiled it until the real military got there to kill it.  Unfortunately 2 died and 3 were bit.  A fourth was also bit but from as far as I can tell the lizard failed to penetrate his silk cloak.  I have assigned two of the war dogs to him, unsure if the bite needs to penetrate skin.

The others however are lost causes.  They have been granted military sized tombs, and there are masterwork slabs prepared. Understanding their fates they found the high quality golden bridge over the volcano to be intriguing before the lever was pulled.

Shortly after a goblin swordsman visitor that had contributed to the death of the werelizard on her way to the tavern petitioned for residency.  On one hand, goblin, on the other, they have a steel sword.  Hmm decisions...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45044 on: December 31, 2015, 06:42:41 pm »

I thought my outpost liaison was bugged. Didn't leave. Spent all winter in my fort. Suddenly, early spring, he decided to leave after all. Weirdness.
He's lucky though, I was preparing an unfortunate accident to get him replaced.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 3001 3002 [3003] 3004 3005 ... 3842