Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3000 3001 [3002] 3003 3004 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6087954 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45015 on: December 30, 2015, 05:00:02 pm »

It's spring and the casting has started. Since so many of the giant toads are forgetting their training, they are being slaughtered.

The Forgotten Beast Ngogngo Ongasmallu has come! A towering humanoid composed of black diamond. It has a pair of knobby antennae and it has a bloated body. Beware its webs!

That one must be one of the most dangerous Forgotten Beasts I saw so far.  :o
It's been said before, but I'll say it again: Losing is fun.

Not a chance in hell of killing that without cave-ins or massive casualties. Try and capture it 8[]
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45016 on: December 30, 2015, 05:04:05 pm »

Just embarked on a desert volcano, we'll see how this goes.
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45017 on: December 30, 2015, 05:11:03 pm »

this just remind me I found a peaceful Blind cave Olm in my underground tavern section while wandering in the site to retire a snakelady

said snake lady started as a citizen of the fort to pull this off. I don't think any adventurer would work unless you make their background "Started from this player fort.".
every time I tried to retire an adventurer from some other site it just turn them 'hostile' which from long playthroughs aren't that bad as they stop kobolds from stealing anything.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #45018 on: December 30, 2015, 05:20:28 pm »

Look like i got the less epic Forgotten Beast fight ever.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I really wonder how it ever managed to survive from before Time.
I think the last thought of that Forgotten Beast must have been "How embarassing"

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #45019 on: December 30, 2015, 05:24:51 pm »

this just remind me I found a peaceful Blind cave Olm in my underground tavern section while wandering in the site to retire a snakelady

said snake lady started as a citizen of the fort to pull this off. I don't think any adventurer would work unless you make their background "Started from this player fort.".
every time I tried to retire an adventurer from some other site it just turn them 'hostile' which from long playthroughs aren't that bad as they stop kobolds from stealing anything.

Have you tried asking for permission to stay at the site yet? Like as a hearthsperson or performer? Afaik, others had success with that...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45020 on: December 30, 2015, 05:38:25 pm »

I feel proud.
I defeated my first siege with a very dwarven charge of my ten Axedwarves. They had only one casualty, while completely dispatching the gobbos.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #45021 on: December 30, 2015, 06:13:00 pm »

I decided to drain one of those numerous little ponds that you get on your map surface with a screw pump.
Then i noticed that i was close to winter, so in order to avoid a bad accident (as water gets all around the screw pump i ceased the work there.

Winter came and the little piece of waters spread on the ground by the pump transformed instantly into ice blocks as i expected.
I decided to have my miners destroy them.

I noticed each time one of those ice block was dug, a "Something has collapsed on the surface" message was popping up oddly, annoyingly it was pausing the game everytime, so i had to unpause after each of those ice block removal.

Then i saw another message regarding one of my legendary miner working on the site, that was additionally the leader of my miner-only military squad (picks being awesome weapons).

So in case you get ice block on surface from water you have previously spread by your screw pump, DO NOT mine them, wait for those to just melt in spring, losing some good dwarves to this kind of stupid isn't really fun.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #45022 on: December 30, 2015, 07:16:52 pm »

Got a pertition from a human vampire for citizenship. The vamp bard wanted to 'entertain' my dorfs.

denied!
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45023 on: December 30, 2015, 07:21:39 pm »

As it turns out, chaining hostile wild animals near the entrance is not a good idea.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45024 on: December 30, 2015, 08:30:57 pm »

Imagine NPC megaprojects. Just imagine them.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #45025 on: December 30, 2015, 08:50:50 pm »

I'm peeping in here for a bit to report my fortress' salty demise.

After designating the creation of yet another migrant bedroom in my (real life) three-day old fort that had just breached the first cavern layer... the game suddenly crashed.  No warning, not even an error box.  It simply disappeared.

And you guys know what else disappeared?
Two days worth of early fort construction.

I am supremely peeved.

As to why I didn't save more often, I was so excited to play that I kept my PC on all night  for those two days so I could get on right away in order to build.  I didn't want to quit the game because I wanted to get to the taverns and temples as quickly as possible.  That definitely won't be happening anymore.  :'(

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45026 on: December 30, 2015, 09:27:07 pm »

Seasonal autosave is your friend.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Xnidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45027 on: December 30, 2015, 09:35:45 pm »

Irzanos, "Newhope" is finishing is eight year since the members of the Glorious Pick strike the earth in the middle of a red sand wasteland-desert...

This site lack streams and living plants. With the absence of aquifers (damned explorers, how failed this prediction!  >:( their skulls will be bashed in the name of my sacred beard) this site do not have any freshwater source. The most aboveground layers of rock lack metals and valious gems. The only way to survive was dig, dig a lot, dig deep... Until the discovery of the caverns and their valuable water (located only 50 levels under the surface). With this discovery, a giant 59 levels pumping water tower was builded. This construction required many years, a lot of stone and some incidents with creatures forgotten since the birth of the world. Today the water distribution sistem is nearly to be done. But the water pumping and our future steam machines need to wait more time. During the next years we need to build a giant wind energy system that requires an enormous quantity of wood that only can be obtained by trading. Damn, we must to tolerate this f*ck hot air some years more, sick!  :'(

But not everything was bad. The discovery of the cavern layers and their valuable water also revealed to Newhope a truly, TRULY, sign of hope and happiness: gold, pure native gold embebed in the rock. Due to our native lack of wood, to process this source of richness I ordered the miners to dig deep, more deep, more more deep. Until the magma layers, that were discovered 150 levels under the surface. Surprisingly, our miners also discovered that the gold ore extended until this deep. This mean, at least one hundred of gold ore layers. Damnit, we are rich, we are extremelly rich, we will be legendary... errr... mmm, ok... Yes. Well, Zasit our bookeeper said that we must to be VERY careful with our gold production or we could crash the world economy without solution.

With the help of our gold, Newhope growth, and growth. Not fast, but without stop. Contrary to some dorfing principes, we decide to start some aboveground projects... Why? Well, it is true that the surface only exist for cover the underground world, but... How the surface creatures could recognise our superiority without building in the surface?

Our treasures need protection. The barracks were located in the main entrance of the fortress. Every creature that try to snatch our golden life will be efficiently re-educated. The garbage is accumulated under fortificated walls, bad things were listened about corpses that misteriously come back to life. We cannot take this risk!

What is the best investment for the gold? Well, unfortunatelly the magma is too far... for now. For this, the most awesome world-wide library was builded! Twenty-four bookcases of gold over a golden floor. Glass tables with bone and gem incrustation. Gold book-binding for the codex. Scroll rollers made of gold for th scrolls... Since their fundation, many scholars come here to study, discuss and ponder. Many books and scrolls were written. Some scholar demand live here to continue their studies. Others, leave to spread our words, and come here again with new stuff. We bring writted life to the desert. Our library is so nice that we do not have pigeons in our roof, we have gooses! We also suspect that we must to amply the Library in the next years, daily the space to study become more and more scarce.

Near to the library an apartment building was raised. And grow one new storey every one or two years. Bed with glass incrustations and glass furniture for everybody. In front of the apartments the nobles live in a luxurious palaces made of marble and gold. Every floor and piece of furniture was made of clean glass or gold, and encrusted with valuable gems, from garnets to zircons. Including dragon teeth! Our next objetive is the inauguration of the future Tavern, big and with a lot of space for dancers and performers, with luxurious rooms in the upper floor for the richest travelers with gold, gem and glass. Coming soon the culture of Newhope will expand far away from the frontiers of the Words.

But the gold also have their dangers... This world is young, only 125 years. Since these date, during eight years Newhope survived three goblin sieges, an Ettin, a bronce colossus (now is a ☼masterfull bronze statue☼ for the captain's room that defeated the criature), two dragons (now are nice roasts, tallow for soap and *decorated with dragon bone & tooth* tables) and six forgotten beasts. Three of them transformed into food and supplies. The danger never end. In this moment the lower caverns are sieged by a rampaging flying spider with webs and poisonous bite as weapons... Too dangerous monster for a direct combat, but maybe... well, our engineers are preparing a cat baited room surrounded by bridges to catch the monster, them said that this creature is itself a new and valuable source of delicate silk. I hope that they are right, because if the plan fail...  ::)

pD. Sorry for my numerous mistakes... The english is not my native languaje  ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 09:48:38 pm by Xnidus »

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45028 on: December 30, 2015, 10:27:36 pm »

We have struck the earth. The biome is a lakeshore, with a thick layer of clay, so no aquifer. A river intersects the lake such that there is a natural island -- Armok dug our moat for us!

Still unknown: which metals are down there, whether the local goblins are the "send a squad of four ever five years" variety or the "arrive with an army of a hundred in F.Y. 2" variety.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45029 on: December 30, 2015, 10:32:18 pm »

The water isn't flowing as fast as I expected, and so the casting isn't complete. Looks like I'll be letting DF run all night again. In arguably more positive news, it appears that my duke has suffered a *genuine* unfortunate accident, so I have repurposed his rooms in my design for hotel rooms.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)
Pages: 1 ... 3000 3001 [3002] 3003 3004 ... 3842